Thread: smelly head
View Single Post
Old 12-18-2018, 10:06 AM   #9
HeadMistress
Guru

City: AR
I think I know what the problem is: I'm 99% certain that the odor orginates in the toilet intake. This toilet has either pulled a bit of vegetable "sea" life in that's decayed somewhere between the thru-hull and the bowl (If you've noticed any black flecks in the flush water, I'm sure that's what it is, but no flecks doesn't rule it out)...or your favorite anchorage is in a cove that isn't fed by a creek...creeks keep water moving, which keeps it clean. Could even be the water in your marina, if you spend much time on the boat there...runoff from the shore, bilge pumps etc keep the water in marinas pretty skanky.

It's easy enough to find out: Disconnect the toilet intake line from the thru-hull (close the seacock first!) and stick into a bucket of water to which you've added a quart of distilled white vinegar. Flush the whole bucketful through the toilet. That SHOULD solve the problem.

And btw...stop using bleach in the shower sump...it's corrosive and destructive to rubber, which is bad for the sump pump.

--Peggie
HeadMistress is offline   Reply With Quote