Sea Chief Conquest 38

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

terryo123

I am looking at what appears to be a nicely maintained 1979 Sea Chief Conquest 38.
i understand it is an Ed Monk design but I do not know anything else about them and can not find any information. It looks very similar to the Monk 36 and I assume it was built in Taiwan.

If anyone can point me to additional resources or information about these boats I would be very grateful.

Welcome aboard. No information on that boat, sorry.

thanks anyway! I am also looking at a 1969 Grand Banks 42 Classic (wood hull) that appears to be in good shape as well.

thanks anyway! I am also looking at a 1969 Grand Banks 42 Classic (wood hull) that appears to be in good shape as well.
If you're not familiar with the up keep of a wood hulled boat, run away now. It's almost assured that a boat that age will have cracked frames. Have they been repaired? Were they done properly or sistered? Is the keel hogged? I can go on and on about this. All that purdy can be hiding some ugly truths.

Grand Banks 42, Hull 259

thanks! I have great fear of a wood hull. She's a pretty girl but like my last wife...I fear she's expensive.
Run I will!

Personally, I would run from a wood boat no matter what the maintenance record has been. But if you are still interested in a woody, first make sure you can get insurance on it and a slip in a marina to dock it. A lot of insurance companies will not insure a woody and some marinas will not accept them for storage or haul them out of the water. Just proceed with your eyes wide open. Wood boats are a LOT of work.

Terryo,
We own a 1979 Sea Chief trawler. Bought her in 1998, spent several years fixing her up, then left for Mexico from San Francisco in 2006 when I retired. Keep her in the Sea of Cortez now full time.

Overall, a very well built, sturdy vessel. She had most of the usual trawler issues of that time; leaking windows, rusty fuel tanks, teak decks in marginal condition, etc. All the issues have been repaired / replaced.

With her single Lehman diesel, she burns about 1.2 - 1.5 gals/hr at a cruising speed of 6-7 knots. A very comfortable boat with 2 cabins, 2 heads, shower, etc.

If you are really interested in yours, I highly recommend a surveyor experienced in Taiwan trawlers of that vintage, as well as a good diesel surveyor.

If you need any more info., let me know.

1979 Sea Chief

BajaTrawler,
Thanks so much for responding...your boat looks great and Sea of Cortes sounds great.!

This one has twin Lehman 125's and looks to be well cared for, I will be looking at her tomorrow and will definitely pull her out and have a full survey done before executing if she is in my future.
If she ends up being mine I would love to be able to tap your expertise.
I will let you know how things unfold.

Thank you again for responding, always good to know there is help out there!

Looking at a '79 Sea Chief that is a bit run down - but seems well equipped. I am going to take your advice and get a surveyor on the boat. As an experienced owner, is there anything I should particularly look for?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom