Fresh water dockside port

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Harry47

Veteran Member
Over the summer I had a problem with the dockside fresh water port. When connected to the dockside water we found that the water pressure would diminish to a trickle, almost nothing, and then return to almost normal water pressure. When I used boat water system with fresh water pump water pressure was fine. Did a search for kinks in fresh water lines or hidden filters, nothing. Then I remembered that the PO left me some spare parts among them was a new fresh water port pressure regulator. I replaced it and the problem was solved. Question, why do they go bad and are they repairable? Thanks

Welcome Harry.

No I don't thing they are repairable. They also come in different sizes as Crusty found out and had to drill a bigger hole to fit the new inlet/regulator.

I replaced one that failed on Hobo with silmilar symptoms. About a year later, that one failed allowing water to drip down the inside of the hull. Not catastrophic but enough for me to abandon it. Now we just use the water tanks and fill as needed.

The pressure regulated inlets are designed to fail to zero rather then fail to full pressure.
This will not save your boat in the event that a hose breaks onboard but it will regulate the flow so it sinks slower.

Same thing happened to me several years ago. I discovered that it was filled with gunk from the city water system. Cleaned it out and it worked fine for a while until it clogged again. Also, those white potable water hoses that they sell for dockside will built up algae when left in direct sunlight that will break of inside the hose and clog the regulators. If thats your issue a dockside filter will help
John

Thanks for the information about common experience. How did you clean it out?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom