Really snotty weather!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Make
34' CHB
Its all my fault of course. Ever since I moved my boat from covered to open, (less than half the price), it has done nothing but rain, blow or both! Right now its both and for the near future nothing is forecast but rain and wind, lots of it! Just looking at the Nat Weather service report from Seattle and combined waves on the coast are predicted to be near 30' in height in a couple of days! Right now they are in the low 20' range. Both of these conditions are fairly normal for late fall but come on! We have several days of this yet. Of course I keep second guessing myself for moving, it was nice when I did, but here we are. I remember once going thru one of my tugboat skipper dads log books. He was towing logs here on the Sound and had anchored up for this kind of weather. He noted thusly, "rain and wind I tell you Vat!". Yep, another beautiful day in the NW!

Cant give you any advise on who to complain to.....

Greetings,
Mr. 78. You have my sympathy but according to Mr. ASD. the weather in the PNW is beautiful (as noted in one of his recent posts directed toward me).

I can relate. If we want to go out for a little sunset cruise it looks like it will only be blowing 20 here tomorrow:

Today
NW wind 40 kt increasing to 50 kt in the morning, then becoming W 35 kt in the afternoon. Seas 26 ft. Rain showers and slight chance of thunderstorms early in the morning.

Tonight
W wind 25 kt. Seas 19 ft subsiding to 15 ft late. W swell.

Fri
N wind 20 kt. Seas 13 ft. W swell.

Fri Night
SE gale to 45 kt. Seas 15 ft.

Sat
SE storm force wind to 55 kt. Seas 26 ft.

Sun
SE gale to 35 kt. Seas 24 ft.

Mon
SE wind 30 kt. Seas 17 ft.

Sitka is it? Went to HS there in '68-'69. We were up there as my dad was doing a lot of towing for the mill and the logging camps. Nice little town then.

Sitka is it? Went to HS there in '68-'69. We were up there as my dad was doing a lot of towing for the mill and the logging camps. Nice little town then.

Still a nice little town. No more Mill, but the fishing is still world-class.

Were you there in the 60's or a more recent resident? You fish commercial or sport?

Some days are diamonds; some days are stone.

6m (20 foot) seas and 35 knots here today, but looking good for Sunday and the opening of snapper season. I might have to get out and get some seafood for Christmas dinner.

Were you there in the 60's or a more recent resident? You fish commercial or sport?

I wasn't here in the 60's. I commercial fished for a bit and now I repair and drive boats.

78pt, you're just on the wrong side of the Cascades. Here on the dry side it's 50*, no wind, high part clouds, part sun. Not a bad day.

Nice! Seems like I am always on the wrong side of either the weather or the wife!

Greetings,
Mr. 78. You have my sympathy but according to Mr. ASD. the weather in the PNW is beautiful (as noted in one of his recent posts directed toward me).

NO, NO, NO!! It is ghastly in the PNW! Rains 300 days a year, wildfires 200, and don't even get me started about the traffic.

You would hate it. DO NOT think of moving here.

Greetings,
Mr. AP. Rest assured, I won't.

200w.gif

Last edited:
I'm surprised the siding blew off that building in the article linked above. Standard siding is supposed to be rated to 110 mph winds, and they make higher rated siding.

NO, NO, NO!! It is ghastly in the PNW! Rains 300 days a year, wildfires 200, and don't even get me started about the traffic.

Glad to see someone picked up Marin's fallen standard.

Indeed. Stay away!

Tom Robbins described it best when he compared the PNW to "living in a salad bowl with a wet wash rag draped over the top"

He did for some years live here in LaConner, think he still may. Getting along now though, in his 80's.

The Pac NW went though a 30 year drying and warming spell from the 1980's until the last few years. It seems like the weather is returning to more normal, with wetter conditions.
The drying spell is one of the reasons the area from Portland to Vancouver B.C. saw such population growth.

I know that once Dauntless leaves Vallejo this coming summer, I will really miss my covered parking.

Drying and warming spell? LOL, OK.... No doubt there are statistics to support that so you don't have to go and hunt them down, but LOL, if you live here you will find that very hard to swallow. The reason OR and north saw so much growth is because of the migration of so many trying to escape from CA for various reasons, only to try to turn where they landed into the place they just left! Used to be bumper stickers around that said, "Don't Californicate Washington". Too late now...

I'm surprised the siding blew off that building in the article linked above. Standard siding is supposed to be rated to 110 mph winds, and they make higher rated siding.

Apparently there were gusts of over 160 km/hr.
Also, who knows how well it was installed.

Indeed. Stay away!

I have a lot to atone for. My mother always claimed she was the person who ruined Seattle. We lived there for a couple years in the late 40s, after which she moved home to Los Angeles and told everyone about this undiscovered jewel of a town...

The rest is, as they say: history.

Its all my fault of course. Ever since I moved my boat from covered to open, (less than half the price), it has done nothing but rain, blow or both! Right now its both and for the near future nothing is forecast but rain and wind, lots of it! Just looking at the Nat Weather service report from Seattle and combined waves on the coast are predicted to be near 30' in height in a couple of days! Right now they are in the low 20' range. Both of these conditions are fairly normal for late fall but come on! We have several days of this yet. Of course I keep second guessing myself for moving, it was nice when I did, but here we are. I remember once going thru one of my tugboat skipper dads log books. He was towing logs here on the Sound and had anchored up for this kind of weather. He noted thusly, "rain and wind I tell you Vat!". Yep, another beautiful day in the NW!

Man, I hear ya. Here in Key West it’s gonna be 80 degrees with SE winds at 15. It’s brutal.

First one I’ve seen this year here.
IMG_2883.jpg

Never mind the lousy weather. Alaska, Washington and Oregon are in the top six states for serial murders. So, if you don't die from some fungal disease, you'll probably be murdered if you were to move here.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom