Sad boat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steve

Guru
Vessel Name
Gumbo
Vessel Make
2003 Monk 36
I*watched this wooden boat being built on the bank of Bayou Petit Caillou South of Houma, Louisiana*driving*to my fishing camp. It was launched to be finished on the water but has been stalled for*a couple of years now.

Most of the boats there are crabbers, oyster, or shrimp boats.*It*doesn't look like any of them, maybe she was to be a cruiser?* Anyway,*I thought the lines looked real nice, there is a steel hull with similar lines ant ot far from her.

*Anyone need a project?

I guess the builder or owner had health or money issues and she'll just sit there till a hurricane or something finishes it.

Sad story but I believe it happens a lot.

Steve W

Attachments

• project boat 002.jpg
    project boat 002.jpg
    257.6 KB · Views: 90
Hey Steve, if she is really looking for a new home, maybe post info here?

http://forum.woodenboat.com/

She looks like she could be a beaut of a downeast style cruiser, if not too far gone.

-- Edited by Max Simmons on Monday 16th of January 2012 11:02:25 AM

What a beautiful hull but that cabin is kinda awful. Obviously not designed by a NA. Perhaps it has a brand new John Deer in it. Obviously I'm a dreamer. Walt should buy this boat and commission Tad Roberts to design a new or modified cabin. I wonder what she's built of .............

Eric

Nice pic Steve. I especially like the grass in the foreground.

-- Edited by nomadwilly on Monday 16th of January 2012 11:54:30 AM

nomadwilly wrote:
What a beautiful hull but that cabin is kinda awful. Obviously not designed by a NA. Perhaps it has a brand new John Deer in it. Obviously I'm a dreamer. Walt should buy this boat and commission Tad Roberts to design a new or modified cabin. I wonder what she's built of .............

Eric

Nice pic Steve. I especially like the grass in the foreground.

-- Edited by nomadwilly on Monday 16th of January 2012 11:54:30 AM
* * * I couldn't agree more Eric. The windows are totally out of proporsion with the house. I think the house is a little large for the hull as well. IMHO

Cary,

I'd give it the Nordic Tug treatment or perhaps a cabin w a bit less "tug rocker" to the cabin roof but otherwise much like a Lord Nelson.

Eric

nomadwilly wrote:
Cary,

I'd give it the Nordic Tug treatment or perhaps a cabin w a bit less "tug rocker" to the cabin roof but otherwise much like a Lord Nelson.

Eric
* * *Eric

Print out the photo, and then re-draw the windows quite a bit taller, and a little longer, and it looks 100% better. I also reduced the trunk cabin roofline by six inches, and it now looks pretty good.**

Also if you save, open and enlarge the*picture, it appears the windows are just roughed in, so maybe they weren't cut out all the way yet.* The windshield area is amazingly small though with that high trunk cabin?* Can you imagine trying to*navigate while peering through those tiny windows?
no.gif
** Is it a plank hull and fiberglass over plywood house.* I can see rust running down from what appears to be joints?

LB

LB,

Try these bridge windows for size.

Eric

Attachments

• sth71897.jpg
    sth71897.jpg
    225.1 KB · Views: 92
Larger windows.

Attachments

• project-boat-002.jpg
    project-boat-002.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 101

Attachments

• dsc_0002.jpg
    dsc_0002.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 156
The addition of hand rails, if not too sacrilegious for a lobster boat, would offset the large house appearance a little.

Oh, OK, Cary! I like it. However, I think that door needs to be a bit wider.

Giggitoni wrote:
Oh, OK, Cary! I like it. However, I think that door needs to be a bit wider.
*Ray

The door definitely needs attention. I'll have my shipwright craft a nice teak door about six inches wider.

nomadwilly wrote:
LB,

Try these bridge windows for size.

Eric
**Geesh. *Are you sure that's not a submarine in disguise? *The cabin*looks like a conning tower. *And isn't that a snorkel on the foredeck? *On the other hand, it sure beats my boat for water-tightness. *I have to admit that the Nordic Tugized idea may be the way to go.

-- Edited by healhustler on Tuesday 17th of January 2012 03:42:01 PM

Attachments

• nordic tugged project boat.jpg
    nordic tugged project boat.jpg
    259.3 KB · Views: 83
Carey wrote:
*Ray

*I'll have my shipwright craft a nice teak door about six inches wider.

*Carey, Call your shipwright craft and commision a few of them teak doors for me would ya!

swampu wrote:Carey wrote:
*Ray

*I'll have my shipwright craft a nice teak door about six inches wider.

*Carey, Call your shipwright craft and commision a few of them teak doors for me would ya!

Paul

As long as you catch the tab.*
smile.gif
*By the way, I LOVE THAT BOAT OF YOURS! And it does deserve some nice teak doors.*

-- Edited by Carey on Tuesday 17th of January 2012 07:34:36 PM

Carey wrote:Giggitoni wrote:
Larger windows.
*Nope. This is what she needs.

*Carey, I like what you have going on there. *Nice lines. *The hull reminds me of a Chesapeake Bay deadrise. *Many of the wooden boat hulls are built of cypress strip planking over oak frames both epoxy and monel fastners. *They are very durable. *She could dress up really nicely.

Did you get your recipe for a good roux worked out?

Moonstruck wrote:*Carey, I like what you have going on there. *Nice lines. *The hull reminds me of a Chesapeake Bay deadrise. *Many of the wooden boat hulls are built of cypress strip planking over oak frames both epoxy and monel fastners. *They are very durable. *She could dress up really nicely.
Did you get your recipe for a good roux worked out?

*Don

Sadly, I haven't nailed the roux. I did buy a cast iron pan, giving me the right foundation, but have spent too much time away lately to really get back into cooking. I'm glad you brought that up. I will put it on my short list of things to do. First, I have to get on the boat and finish my head remodel, and some regular maintenance items. Then I need to catch up with motorcycle maintenance (in case we have dry, not too cold weather).*

For Carey:

First you*make a roux......

The fat used in roux may be butter, shortening, lard, oil, or even bacon drippings. Combine fat with an equal amount of flour ; 1/2 cup of each will make a good amount and any excess can be stored in the refrigerator. (Many cookbooks call for a little more fat than flour - 2/3 cup oil to 1/2 cup flour is a common ratio.) Melt the fat in a black skillet over low heat. When warm and fluid, sprinkle the flour in a little at a time, stirring. Stir constantly until brown (this may take 20 to 30 minutes) ; immediately remove from heat or add ingredients your recipe calls for. If it burns even slightly, throw it out and start over again.

-- Edited by Steve on Tuesday 17th of January 2012 08:20:12 PM

nomadwilly wrote:
Cary,

Eric
*Woops. *Sorry Eric,... guess I shoulda displayed your idea this way.

img_72258_0_2274870c2b587f23fe135ce382670356.jpg

"We" have our own "sad boat" on Mare Island Strait.

img_72263_0_0b0b182140f27c964f2f3eba2fb45624.jpg

healhustler wrote:
*Woops. *Sorry Eric,... guess I shoulda displayed your idea this way.

*Hmmm, not bad you need a couple of portholes on the starboard side of the trunk cabin and you are good to go.* The smaller salon windows and bridge windows*makes it look like a lot bigger boat.* I would love to see how that side entry looks inside.* Does it enter into the salon and is that a pilot house style?

Anyone know the actual length of this thing?*

Steve wrote:
For Carey:

First you*make a roux......

The fat used in roux may be butter, shortening, lard, oil, or even bacon drippings. Combine fat with an equal amount of flour ; 1/2 cup of each will make a good amount and any excess can be stored in the refrigerator. (Many cookbooks call for a little more fat than flour - 2/3 cup oil to 1/2 cup flour is a common ratio.) Melt the fat in a black skillet over low heat. When warm and fluid, sprinkle the flour in a little at a time, stirring. Stir constantly until brown (this may take 20 to 30 minutes) ; immediately remove from heat or add ingredients your recipe calls for. If it burns even slightly, throw it out and start over again.

-- Edited by Steve on Tuesday 17th of January 2012 08:20:12 PM
Thanks Steve

My first attempts were with guidance from a couple cookbooks i picked up down the bayou, but I used a stainless pan, and even after a couple hours of stirring could not get past a light brown color. Maybe I was being too careful not to burn it.*

I will get my cookbook and your instructions and give it another try in my new cast iron pan. I am trying to create a passable to killer gumbo.

-- Edited by Carey on Tuesday 17th of January 2012 11:17:21 PM

Mark, the boat in your photo is our local AVR-63, a WW-II era "Crash Boat". Or what's left of it! Note the old motor home used for the house. The AVRs were used for rescue of downed airmen, etc. Some are still around and in restored condition.

Ray, is there anything you don't know about Mare Island Strait?

DRESSEDWITHSCRATCHEDGE_-_Copy.jpg

-- Edited by markpierce on Wednesday 18th of January 2012 12:02:52 AM

Edelweiss wrote:Anyone know the actual length of this thing?*
I used the door on the boathouse in the background as a scale and estimate between 50' to 60'. My method could be flawed though.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom