How do you have your dock lines setup?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I feel absolutely naked with my five.*
cry.gif

Oh and this is my port side finger pier yesterday...

Attachments

• img_5780.jpg
    img_5780.jpg
    180 KB · Views: 66
What?* Did you motor out without untying your portside dock lines?

I suppose it doesn't matter how many docklines one uses if the dock breaks away.

Ha ha... no, the dock simply sank and the wind smashed it to pieces. Where I am (Boston) we have average steady winds of 12 kts, year round, in winter its usually averaging 15kts or more, gusting higher. (I hate living here by the way...)

Hmmmm...lovely boat 7tiger7 - lotta windage though.
I use just 9 lines normally....2 port side bow to walkway, (one would do normally, but had an extra & they are the only ones on the outside), 2 stbd bow to finger, one fore and aft spring line on the finger side, and 3 dockside stern, (2 would do but I have redundant line there, so why not take an extra loop..?), that's it. I can double up on the springs if bad weather is forecast.* Not sure if these pics will show them all that well, but here goes....oops, sorry, make that 10...looking at the pics reminded me I forgot the central st'bd breast line - that's the one I grab first when coming in solo - get that on on and I'm set - she won't go anywhere...

-- Edited by Peter B on Monday 16th of January 2012 04:17:10 AM

-- Edited by Peter B on Monday 16th of January 2012 04:21:47 AM

Attachments

• image078.jpg
    image078.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 68
  • dsc04433.jpg
    dsc04433.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 68
This year I made it through 3 Northeasters and many "normal" days where the winds were steady 30.... often over or gusting above 40.

I had a spool of 1/2 inch, inexpensive 3 strand so I made a "temporary" set of docklines when I arrived last spring thinking they would get replaced at some point during the summer.* I placed 1 inch vinyl tubing chafe guards on them.

When I took them off in the fall...every one was perfect with no chafe.* By the way did I mention that the spring tides run at 3 or so knots in my marina?

I run 2 bow to pilings , 1 spring to a piling and 2 stern lines crossed to a floating dock.* Because I live on the boat I would add more if the boat was riding poorly or if I saw that the conditions would have warranted.* To me anything more would be a waste of time unless I wasn't around to watch...then I would double up on most lines...maybe triple if I thought more surge was going to increase chafe...but not for normal day to day docking.

Can you have too many lines?* I guess not...but if I were using the boat at least once a week...I doubt I would use more that the basic 5 unless you docked in a marina with conditions worse than I've ever seen.

-- Edited by psneeld on Monday 16th of January 2012 07:06:32 AM

Yikes!!* Some of you guys have some serious wind and current through home base.* I guess I'm fortunate to have a covered slip in a boat shed that is well protected from the wind and current.* I could tie up with braided dental floss, but I use five 5/8 inch lines since my cleats are too big for the dental floss.*

-- Edited by FlyWright on Tuesday 17th of January 2012 09:46:52 AM

Fly,
I'm yet to see one of these famous covered slips... I am thinking of moving to the Southeast US this summer, maybe I will finally have a nice cozy home for my boat :)
Here in Boston, I could of walked to my boat from the parking lot without using the docks yesterday... marina froze over :-/

7tiger7 wrote:
Fly,
I'm yet to see one of these famous covered slips...
Here you go....no charge!* This is typical of many of the covered slips in the California Delta.* I added the screens across the back and side for sun protection for the exterior teak.*

img_72157_0_918823841e8d5e6931e390bd75c6add5.jpg

img_72157_1_fb55d3fbe92fb3f3036379d746519d3a.jpg

img_72157_2_40ca20453297a7eb56fec5307c47b0ad.jpg

FlyWright wrote:This is typical of many of the covered slips in the California Delta.* I added the screens across the back and side for sun protection for the exterior teak.*

That looks so surreal.... I can only imagine what the slip fees for something like that in Boston would be, if one could even build that here.
Marinas here (not in the nice part of the harbor, but in surrounding areas which are not as nice) charge about $150/ft for the summer (4 months). And that doesn't even include parking for your car!
Ugh I can't wait to move out of here...

Flywright:

Shoelaces would suffice here, but the rules of the YC require at least 4 lines, min 5/8 dia, inspected for chafe at least annually. I have never seen any strain taken by any of my lines once settled, even when stormy weather has me down to the marina to check.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom