On our way to Alaska

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hatt Trick is moving south in the slow lane.

Thought of you today, There was an Orion in the pattern at Comox, but he was also dinkin' around with a couple Coast Guard vessels off shore and overflew us at about 200 feet...er...70 meters.

Loud, smoky and absolutely marvelous.

Thought of you today, There was an Orion in the pattern at Comox, but he was also dinkin' around with a couple Coast Guard vessels off shore and overflew us at about 200 feet...er...70 meters.

Loud, smoky and absolutely marvelous.

It's been since the Vietnam era that I was last in a P-3 Orion, but I can tell by their distinctive engine sound if one is in the area. If there's any doubt, the black exhaust trail dispels it. Area WG east of Nanaimo has them on occasion for various navy exercises. Thanks for thinking of me. I spent a lot of time in those planes.

Did you ever fly out of NUW? If so, I'd assume you're familiar with the Chinook MOA. I once had a P-3 make a masthead-height run on me in the night in the western extension. At that altitude, the airplane pushes a big pressure wave ahead.

My baby brother is a retired Navy Master Diver who was stationed at rhe Keyport torpedo lab in the mid-80s. Much of his time was spent recovering various devices from the WG range.

Hatt Trick is moving south Dream Catcher, who we saw a couple times in SE AK. Going to do some fishing in the Blackfish Sound area before moving down Johnstone Strait.

Wow! Dream Catcher moved swiftly!! We knew her to be in Meyers Chuck as we were passing heading North to Wrangell on the 22ND. From the radio traffic I learned that some unknown soul in the "Chuck" is an acting harbor master. or so it seems, Dream Catcher was confirmed to fit a given position on the inside of the float We found our own way to a neighboring acquaintance's float due to a full house on the public float. Too late to go visiting.
Had contacted Cassy earlier in bound to add a couple of warm 'Sticky Buns" to the morning delivery.
Best to your continued good travels, stay safe.
Al-Ketchikan

Bill - Never flew into NUW but did a lot of low altitude flying and I believe the pressure wave you describe. The Orion is a big bird.

Wow! Dream Catcher moved swiftly!! We knew her to be in Meyers Chuck as we were passing heading North to Wrangell on the 22ND. From the radio traffic I learned that some unknown soul in the "Chuck" is an acting harbor master. or so it seems, Dream Catcher was confirmed to fit a given position on the inside of the float We found our own way to a neighboring acquaintance's float due to a full house on the public float. Too late to go visiting.
Had contacted Cassy earlier in bound to add a couple of warm 'Sticky Buns" to the morning delivery.
Best to your continued good travels, stay safe.
Al-Ketchikan
Hi Al,

We did pull into Meyers Chuck late that evening. Heard that call from "Meyers Chuck" inviting us to tie up on the inside, but were not sure we could make it safely after the Nordhavn moved in there, so it seemed simpler to anchor.

Weather conditions for crossing the Dixon and the Queen were so benign we just kept moving. Now dinking around as slow as we please in Queen Charlotte Strait.

Story I forgot to tell:

...But too good to pass up. A week or so ago when we made our emergency water stop in Ocean Falls, as we arrived i noticed an AIS target for "Brigadoon". Cute boat name, good backstory, I'm sure; I set out to find the vessel...no luck, no boat. Should appear in seven years, I guess...

...But too good to pass up. A week or so ago when we made our emergency water stop in Ocean Falls, as we arrived i noticed an AIS target for "Brigadoon". Cute boat name, good backstory, I'm sure; I set out to find the vessel...no luck, no boat. Should appear in seven years, I guess...
Be careful. In music circles Brigadoon is sometimes called "Brink of Doom".

Hi Al,

We did pull into Meyers Chuck late that evening. Heard that call from "Meyers Chuck" inviting us to tie up on the inside, but were not sure we could make it safely after the Nordhavn moved in there, so it seemed simpler to anchor.

Weather conditions for crossing the Dixon and the Queen were so benign we just kept moving. Now dinking around as slow as we please in Queen Charlotte Strait.

Hi Richard,:flowers: Whoops I was confused in my thinking, Sure, Now I remember. I had the Nordhaven as you as we came in as the conversation related to the location it did take. I have seen you in K-Town tied to the end of the float in North Bar Harbor and due to age, forget to relate you to the Forum. We slid into an acquaintance's float due to the crowd and noticed you on the hook. Please give a holler or a PM to me on your next voyage North, as I enjoy meeting those who are on the Forum as they travel through.
Regards,
Al

Seeadler's wrapping it up. Put the wife on a plane home in Sidney this morning, cleared customs at Roche Harbor (already a post-season ghost town) and I'm anchored out in Friday Harbor tonight.

4809 miles since May 15, still got a frw to go. Oh yeah, 2645 gallons of diesel so far.

Anyone seen Hatt Trick?

Where do you anchor in Friday Harbor?

Where do you anchor in Friday Harbor?

Currently about a half-mile south of the ferry dock. If you know where the undersea power cable goes across to Brown Island: my anchor is set about 50 yards north of the bouy that says "DON'T ANCHOR".

Last edited:
Currently about a half-mile south of the ferry dock. If you know where the undersea power cable goes across to Brown Island: my anchor is set about 50 yards north of the bouy that says "DON'T ANCHOR".

Yep, know exactly where that is. Thanks!

Seeadler's wrapping it up. Put the wife on a plane home in Sidney this morning, cleared customs at Roche Harbor (already a post-season ghost town) and I'm anchored out in Friday Harbor tonight.

4809 miles since May 15, still got a frw to go. Oh yeah, 2645 gallons of diesel so far.

Anyone seen Hatt Trick?

Hatt Trick has been hunkered down in Squirrel Cove for 4 days, waiting out a gale in N Georgia Strait. On the move thus morning, heading for Pender Harbour in light winds and with a good forecast. Where to after Friday Harbor, Bill?

<<Where to...>>

Beats me, Seeadler is still homeless; we're at the top of a couple lists; gonna work the phone today.

I do have a scheduled repair at Skyline in Anacortes for my motor-dinghy steering on Thursday. Probably just swing onthe hook for the next couple nights and listen to KNKX. Got enough coffee and gin and plenty of battery.

Last edited:
<<Where to...>>

Beats me, Seeadler is still homeless; we're at the top of a couple lists; gonna work the phone today.

I do have a scheduled repair at Skyline in Anacortes for my motor-dinghy steering on Thursday. Probably just swing onthe hook for the next couple nights and listen to KNKX. Got enough coffee and gin and plenty of battery.

I just saw your post. We live in Skyline, and Helen Marie is at division 18 Flounder Bay yacht club. If you're still around, I would like to meet you.

We are back home in Anacortes after a wonderful summer cruise. Regretfully we are selling our DeFever Passage Maker. We have an offer pending on a late model American Tug in LaConnor.

Attachments

• 1505010994338.jpg
    1505010994338.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 205
I just saw your post. We live in Skyline, and Helen Marie is at division 18 Flounder Bay yacht club. If you're still around, I would like to meet you.

Thank you, lovely offer, but ive moved on, Port Townsend, Port Madison, and Sat+Sun nights in Gig Harbor. The five month cruise ends tomorrow in Tacoma.

BTW, got a recip slip at Flounder Bay YC, thanks.

It's been since the Vietnam era that I was last in a P-3 Orion, ... Thanks for thinking of me. I spent a lot of time in those planes.

Hey , Ken
I think I mentioned I had a book about the harrowing ditching of an Orion in the North Pacific. Just founding it while crating up some excess to go to the used bookstore. It's entitled Adak.

Message me a postal address and it's yours.
Bill, aka AlaskaProf

Thanks Bill, will do. Are you going to SE next summer?

Thanks Bill, will do. Are you going to SE next summer?

Probably something less ambitious. Desolation Sound certainly, Maybe the Broughtons... Sixty or seventy days I'm thinkin'...maybe more if they set fire to Oregon again.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom