Pics from our first night on the hook!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steve91T

Guru
Vessel Name
Abeona
Vessel Make
Marine Trader 47’ Sundeck
Finally had our first practice trip in our new to us boat! We had a blast! The boat performed flawlessly.

We went from St Petersburg where the boat currently is about 2 hours away to Egmont Key. We chose to anchor on the SW side (the Gulf) of the island because of the SE winds. I made the mistake of thinking we’d be more protected there than on the other side. It was a little rolly but not awful. So we dropped the dink and spent an hour or so exploring the island. As the sun went down, the waves picked up. It was too dark to do anything about it as there were crab pots all over the place. Long story short, my wife and I didn’t sleep at all. The waves kept picking up. We were weather vaning into the wind, waves were coming in perpendicular to us. It was awful! But somehow the kids slept through it. As soon as the sun came up we pulled the anchor (by hand, windless doesn’t work) and we went home. Really too bad because we planned to spend the entire next day on the island. Maybe next time.

Overall it was an excellent trip and we learned a lot!

Attachments

• 297320FB-FEE2-40CD-B7C8-842FF4415C1E.jpg
    297320FB-FEE2-40CD-B7C8-842FF4415C1E.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 233
  • C8357480-AA9D-448D-931A-FA7FD71D09CA.jpg
    C8357480-AA9D-448D-931A-FA7FD71D09CA.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 242
  • AD9D6330-B344-4B77-8EC0-872ECFCB616A.jpg
    AD9D6330-B344-4B77-8EC0-872ECFCB616A.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 206
  • D97A78C6-E1CB-465C-99F5-2D2666AC6C11.jpg
    D97A78C6-E1CB-465C-99F5-2D2666AC6C11.jpg
    176.7 KB · Views: 219
More pics

Attachments

• BA8F3CE3-FBCD-47E7-A672-B009C47DC089.jpg
    BA8F3CE3-FBCD-47E7-A672-B009C47DC089.jpg
    186.1 KB · Views: 213
  • 844B92FD-63DA-4750-8F8C-027E98C7ED5F.jpg
    844B92FD-63DA-4750-8F8C-027E98C7ED5F.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 207
  • C8333388-8F31-404D-8169-68152D338031.jpg
    C8333388-8F31-404D-8169-68152D338031.jpg
    157.3 KB · Views: 198
  • 03F976AA-5D85-4E33-8780-3BF9664528B0.jpg
    03F976AA-5D85-4E33-8780-3BF9664528B0.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 199
  • D8F99C95-FCEC-4339-AC3C-1255892BECB8.jpg
    D8F99C95-FCEC-4339-AC3C-1255892BECB8.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 220
  • B926E59A-BAA3-415E-A75E-EB158D618160.jpg
    B926E59A-BAA3-415E-A75E-EB158D618160.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 206
  • 3ADC9A7D-CF6F-45EA-ADED-C08A241134C8.jpg
    3ADC9A7D-CF6F-45EA-ADED-C08A241134C8.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 203
Don’t spill that wine! [emoji23]

Anchoring is a skill. It gets better with practice. I want to anchor out there on Egmont and check it out. Looks like an interesting place.

Love that hull color!

Last edited:
Awesome. You learned a lesson, always check weather. More importantly you made memories with your family. Your children will, eventually cherish these moments.

Thanks for sharing.

Any experience that you come through with good memories and no damage or injuries is good afterall. We've also been caught anchored or moored in what ended up being very rolly conditions, but we learned as I'm sure you did. We all had to start someplace and the lessons learned will make the next time that much better.

My daughter who is now almost 18 and doesn't like hanging out with the old folks so much - STILL says some of her best memories are of us boating. They are mine as well.

Ken

Thanks guys! We are no doubt making memories and it’s some priceless family time.

About the weather. I made the mistake of assuming that the waves would be going in the direction of the wind. When we got to the anchorage the waves were so small that it wasn’t worth going all the way around the island to see if it was better, because didn’t think it was. And being that the winds would be picking up from the SE, I figured we were in a good spot.

Steve,

You're in my neighborhood.

Great experience and thx for the post. I've anchored out there many times in different boats always on the east side and for the most part, smooth. If you get strong east winds, not the place to be, but doable, like you did.

I find the best spot is about 1/4 mile south of the pier, almost in the middle of the island. Beautiful sand beaches and can get pretty close with the boat.

Also, you anchored out in some COLD weather, hope you stayed warm.

First thing.... fix that windlass, it will make anchoring MUCH easier.

Nice looking boat.

Hi, Steve. Great pictures. We visit Egmont frequently and spent the night there once--it was not pleasant. I have been boating the waters there for many years and knew better. You have zero protection from the east winds that pick up at night. I suggest anchoring at Egmont during the day (east side) and seeking protection at the mouth of Manatee River at night (off of Emerson Point preserve or Desoto National Memorial).

Thanks guys! We are no doubt making memories and it’s some priceless family time.

About the weather. I made the mistake of assuming that the waves would be going in the direction of the wind. When we got to the anchorage the waves were so small that it wasn’t worth going all the way around the island to see if it was better, because didn’t think it was. And being that the winds would be picking up from the SE, I figured we were in a good spot.

Just remember when you come into a place you aren't too familiar with getting on the VHF and ask for some local knowledge can be a good call. HTH JD

Hi, Steve. Great pictures. We visit Egmont frequently and spent the night there once--it was not pleasant. I have been boating the waters there for many years and knew better. You have zero protection from the east winds that pick up at night. I suggest anchoring at Egmont during the day (east side) and seeking protection at the mouth of Manatee River at night (off of Emerson Point preserve or Desoto National Memorial).

Vashon,

Good point, always have a back up. The nice thing about Egmont is that the prevailing wind is westerly, and often provides a great anchorage on the east side. But your points in Manatee River are good for plan B, and relatively close. I need to head down there sometime......

Steve: I love the color of your boat! When did the previous owner have it painted? Looks nice.

Such a nice post Steve!

And as Ken says, on a boating trip good memories + nil injuries or damage = great memories.

Seevee is correct about fixing your windlass, wont cost much $$ but once you have experienced it working you will never tolerate it not working again!

H.

Thanks guys! Honestly the only bummer is that I had promised my daughter we would spend the entire next day exploring the island and looking for turtles. We were all disappointed that it didn’t happen. She’s been a trooper lately. So far just about every trip has been very us moving in, cleaning, and working on the small list of things that need to be done. So we were looking forward to just enjoying the boat. But it’s ok. Our next trip will be bringing my brother in law out and he’s going to teach my daughter (and myself) to fish. She’s very excited about that.

A question for the locals, any recommendations for an anchorage somewhere in the area that we can spend the night and fish?

Thanks for the compliments on the color of the boat. We love it. We were actually under contract with another boat, same exact thing actually, just in slightly less mechanical shape when this one popped up for sale. I called and made and offer immidately. The PO just had it painted and the entire outside including resealing the windows done. It was done maybe 6 months ago. There litterly isn’t a blemish anywhere on the outside. It’s like a new boat. We are so fortunate to have found it.

And I have kept it scratch free even after my first 2 times docking it, which was terrifying being that it as no thrusters and it’s by far the biggest boat I’ve ever handled.

There is no comparison to anchoring out versus marinas. For us, we love anchoring and view marinas as a necessary evil from time to time, at best, when cruising.:)

There is no comparison to anchoring out versus marinas. For us, we love anchoring and view marinas as a necessary evil from time to time, at best, when cruising.:)

Yeah it’s amazing. Unfortunately we were only able to do it a couple of times last year with our Mainship because the gas genny was unreliable. Of course I finally fixed it right before we sold it.

This boat being all diesel so far has been super reliable. We are planning on anchoring as often as possible.

A question for the locals, any recommendations for an anchorage somewhere in the area that we can spend the night and fish?

Steve,

Yes, there is a good reason you will see few boats anchored at Egmont at night. As I stated in an earlier post, you have the mouth of the Manatee River (Emerson Point preserve or Desoto National Memorial). Going South from Egmont on the inside, you also have Bradenton Beach (near Bradenton Beach Marina) and Jewfish Key (south east or so of Longboat Pass). I prefer going North. You can consider Boca Ciega Bay and almost unlimited anchorage throughout the ICW from St. Petersburg to Tarpon Springs. My wife and daughter (8 years old) prefer Three Rooker Bar (Tarpon Springs) and Caladesi Island (Dunedin). I have been going to both the latter and former since a child. The marina at Caladesi has shore power, water, and there are lots of places to explore on the island via various nature trails.

Chris

Last edited:
Hi, nice pictures and beautiful family, wonderful time when kids are still young before teenage years

NBs

Steve,

Yes, there is a good reason you will see few boats anchored at Egmont at night. As I stated in an earlier post, you have the mouth of the Manatee River (Emerson Point preserve or Desoto National Memorial). Going South from Egmont on the inside, you also have Bradenton Beach (near Bradenton Beach Marina) and Jewfish Key (south east or so of Longboat Pass). I prefer going North. You can consider Boca Ciega Bay and almost unlimited anchorage throughout the ICW from St. Petersburg to Tarpon Springs. My wife and daughter (8 years old) prefer Three Rooker Bar (Tarpon Springs) and Caladesi Island (Dunedin). I have been going to both the latter and former since a child. The marina at Caladesi has shore power, water, and there are lots of places to explore on the island via various nature trails.

Chris

Yep! Guess we should have known better when we said “we have the whole place to ourselves!”

Tarpon springs looks wonderful but I think it’s a little too far away for what we want to do. What about anything further south like Johns Pass? We definitely want to go north on the ICW since this will be our only chance to see that part of the ICW.

Thanks for the help!

Great pictures, thanks for sharing. Looks like at bunch of fun . I really like the color of your boat also .

Yep! Guess we should have known better when we said “we have the whole place to ourselves!”

Tarpon springs looks wonderful but I think it’s a little too far away for what we want to do. What about anything further south like Johns Pass? We definitely want to go north on the ICW since this will be our only chance to see that part of the ICW.

Thanks for the help!

John's Pass is certainly a great option. There is some anchorage just North east of the pass (several little spoil islands). They are fun to visit during the day and can get crowded on the weekends. You can also take the dinghy and visit the restaurants/shops at John's Pass (east of the bridge). I recommend anchoring overnight at the "Veterans Hospital Anchorage", which is just north on the ICW--not very far and will give you some overnight protection. Madiera Beach Marina is close to the south as well. I travel at 6-7 knots, so John's Pass is as far as I go North for day trips. Enjoy!

Steve91T
Get your windless repaired!!!

We spend a lot of time out on the hook in Tampa Bay.

Anchoring off Gulfport is fun. Quaint little town.
Up the Manatee of Snell point is usually quiet. The wind decides what side of the river to drop the hook.
Bird Key of Terra Ceia Bay is also great, little tight getting in.

Try some of those next time.

Enjoy

Good info. We were just out at Egmont last weekend but didn’t have a dingy to go to shore. Plan on doing our 1st anchoring in the next couple weeks somewhere in that area, probably in the Manatee river.

What do you guys think about this area of Johns Pass? Honestly the goal is calm seas! We won’t be taking the dink anywhere, just looking for a nice anchorage that’s well protected to hang out, fish, grill, and of course enjoy a few adult beverages for the night.

On the boat now, heading out tomorrow as soon as this damn rain quits!

Attachments

• 8E36319E-A4BF-41B9-9142-44FBD736D54C.jpg
    8E36319E-A4BF-41B9-9142-44FBD736D54C.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 59
DO NOT SHORT CHANGE GROUND TACKLE. Not only does it keep you out of marinas. It is your emergency break, your safety and I love sleeping instead of anchor watches.

DO NOT SHORT CHANGE GROUND TACKLE. Not only does it keep you out of marinas. It is your emergency break, your safety and I love sleeping instead of anchor watches.

I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom