Source of Port

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

El Sea

I need to replace an inspection port located in the cockpit area over the engine area.

The glass is hazed and needs to be replaced. Not knowing if the glass is bonded to the frame, looking at replacing the whole unit.*The OD is approx 6 1/2" x 4" ID, thickness appears to be 1/8" above gelcoat.

Any idea where one can be found?

Attachments

• 011312 port.jpg
    011312 port.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 66
Just one guy's opinion: unscrew it, see how it's made, and if you can find a local glass/mirror shop they can probably find a product .. glass or a scratch-resistant substitute to install in the frame. . Finding a replacement for the whole fixture might be difficult.

If it's over the engine area, it's probably to make sure there's no fire (an inspection port) so I wouldn't be putting plastic or such in its place.

This vendor:

http://www.fisheriessupply.com/department/home.aspx

has about the thickest catalog I've ever seen. Not knowing the name of what you're trying to replace, I can't find it, but they might be able to help if you called them or sent them a photo or any information that's on the port.

Trader Joes has a friendly yet a bit over ripe tawny port for $5.99.

With all of this input I'm going to go buy some cheese....

This is on a customer's sailboat and I was hoping somebody could say that "Oh, check out bah bah bah".*

If it was for my own boat, I would replace it with clear plastic.

Thanks,

El Sea wrote:
If it was for my own boat, I would replace it with clear plastic.

"I need to replace an inspection port located in the cockpit area over the engine area."

Again, what about an engine room fire?

-- Edited by rwidman on Sunday 15th of January 2012 08:45:50 AM

rwidman wrote:
Again, what about an engine room fire?

By the time the plastic melted there should not be anyone left on the boat.

Considering the condition of the port in the photo, it appears to be plastic anyway.

It only takes a few moments (not minutes) for a fire on a plastic boat to reach total loss proportions and I seriously doubt anyone reading this has the equipment or training to fight such a fire onboard. Even the best equipped plastic boats, manned by trained and equipped* crew are very seldom successful in knocking down a fire that has had more than a few moments to become established.

Looking at the other aspect of this port, a fire in an engine room will usually coat the thing with a thick and totally opaque layer of soot and the casual observer will probably believe the engine room lights are out.

* Equipped exactly the same as the professional shoreside or CG firefighters who respond to the vessel.

Ok, it's clear no one here has any idea of a replacement lens, but your local knowledge of wine is very impressive.

Now the full scoop, this hazed over port is located in the cockpit of a sailboat, where there are a number of lockers and ventilation for smoke and fire to exist (having had an electrical fire on board in the engine compartment) of which I have had first hand experience with.

This port is for the simple pleasure of looking at a local read fuel gauge on a twenty-five gallon tank located beneath the cockpit sole. There is no 'engine room' as we have on our trawlers, the engine is twenty some HP, not* 120 hp.

I'll continue to check back in wine suggestions, since Valentine Day is approaching.

Thanks to All,

"It only takes a few moments (not minutes) for a fire on a plastic boat to reach total loss proportions"

This is true ONLY because owners do not demand Fire Retardant Resin in the initial build of the boat.

That extra 2c a pound in resin cost is not spent by the boats builder because of lack of demand.

Every boat that is licensed to carry 6 or more is required to be constructed of this resin.

So the techniques (no change) of construction are no problem , only owners lack of knowledge , as usual, causes this danger.

El Sea wrote:
Ok, it's clear no one here has any idea of a replacement lens, but your local knowledge of wine is very impressive.
You have had the answer twice. You said it is glass, if it is, replace it with glass.

If it is plastic (which I believe it probably is) replace it with plastic.

What did you expect someone to do? Particularly when you don't tell "the rest of the story" until you are unhappy with the answers you get?

El Sea wrote:

Now the full scoop, this hazed over port is located in the cockpit of a sailboat, where there are a number of lockers and ventilation for smoke and fire to exist (having had an electrical fire on board in the engine compartment) of which I have had first hand experience with.

This port is for the simple pleasure of looking at a local read fuel gauge on a twenty-five gallon tank located beneath the cockpit sole. There is no 'engine room' as we have on our trawlers, the engine is twenty some HP, not* 120 hp.

I'll continue to check back in wine suggestions, since Valentine Day is approaching.

Thanks to All,

So why didn't you furnish the "full scoop" in the first place?* How can you possibly expect help if you only post half the information you have?

Hey, Hey, any idea where one can be found?

Remember "The glass is hazed and needs to be replaced. Not knowing if the glass is bonded to the frame, looking at replacing the whole unit. The OD is approx 6 1/2" x 4" ID, thickness appears to be 1/8" above gelcoat. Any idea where one can be found?"

I think I'll get some sour grapes to go with the cheese for all of this whining.

Paul Harvey *said. "if you serve cheese with your wine no one can tell good wine from bad". Or all that south facing vinyard oak over tones, pretentious, bla,bla bla.

The French have known this forever try it on your next wine snob party.

SD

-- Edited by skipperdude on Monday 16th of January 2012 01:05:40 PM

Your image would not load for me so I could not get a good look at it. If it's not that far gone try a glass buffing/polishing compound? I've removed haze and scratches from glass with it.*

3M sells a product I have not tried myself. Lapidary Arts(rock polishing) suppliers should be able to set you up with a good compound. Chucking a wheel into a drill makes shorter work of it.

Good luck.

Thanks Craig,

We'll have a better idea tomorrow when we pull the hazed port what we're up against.

"The glass is hazed and needs to be replaced.

Glass can be polished with a kit.

Sometimes a couple of coats of wax is all it takes.

If you worry about slipping use the plastic polish and scratch remover for "no wax" floors .

See below.

-- Edited by rwidman on Tuesday 17th of January 2012 06:34:54 AM

El Sea wrote:
I need to replace an inspection port located in the cockpit area over the engine area.

The glass is hazed and needs to be replaced. Not knowing if the glass is bonded to the frame, looking at replacing the whole unit.*The OD is approx 6 1/2" x 4" ID, thickness appears to be 1/8" above gelcoat.

Any idea where one can be found?

Here you go:

10222_SDL_337141_PPM

http://www.fisheriessupply.com/productgroupdetail.aspx?cid=149831&iid=SDL 337151-1&keywords=84256

FF, polishing will be our first recommendation.

Ron, if polishing does not work than a replacement will surely be suggested to the owner.

Tanks Alot,

skipperdude wrote:
Paul Harvey *said. "if you serve cheese with your wine no one can tell good wine from bad". Or all that south facing vinyard oak over tones, pretentious, bla,bla bla.

The French have known this forever try it on your next wine snob party.

SD

-- Edited by skipperdude on Monday 16th of January 2012 01:05:40 PM
*The question was the "Source of Port"

The correct answer is the Douro River Valley*in the North of Portugal not to far from Porto, Portugal.* I was there last year and Port*isn't on*the list of my favorite wines of Europe.** Give me a glass of Osborne Vino Tinte anytime.*
biggrin.gif

Back
Top Bottom