Locating one's radar antenna

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I wouldn't worry too much about the little stuff on the water. Use your radar to find and avoid big stuff, that is, anything big enough to damage your prop or shaft, should you hit it. My bow will push little stuff outboard enough to miss the running gear. You should experiment with little stuff, to see how big it has to be before there is any danger that it will actually hit your running gear.

Also, radar dialed in to the closest range, if you are trying to see deadheads close aboard, in say a night crossing of any body of water, will miss everything that is just off screen, including that big fishboat that is closing at 25 knots (combined speeds) and not watching for you. (those fishboats are not required to have AIS until they reach the legislated minimum size, so your only sure way to avoid them is to find them before they find you)

Your Radar is of much greater value set on a 3 mile range than a 1/4 mile range. On anything outside of the 1/4 mile range, the circle of noise surrounding the transmitter, and the area of unswept water close to the boat, roughly the same size, are insignificant.

If you are trying to avoid the crab floats, in say Ganges Harbour, you will see them on 1/2 mile range, you will see them better on 1/4 mile range, and you will always see them long before they enter the circle of noise/unswept area close to the boat. Also, the commercial crabbers here always use sinking line and never use big fender washers or anything that would help radar visibility. They sometimes even use two gallon plastic jugs, ( I am looking at one right now) or anything that will float. The regulations here require them to be identified with the crabber's license numbers but don't prohibit any old cheap floating object from being used.

I had a Californian 42LRC on which the PO had put the radar directly in front of the fly bridge such that it was waist high if you were seated at the helm. Everyone I talked to said no problem but it took me about 30 seconds to have someone move it to the mast.

We upgraded from 2.2 KW to 4 KW radar last year after being advised (from a number of sources) that it will make a world of difference in the detail we would see, particularly close in. I would have to say that the difference is huge. Don't know about crab/prawn trap floats, but small jetsam & flotsam stuff shows up well - as does our wake at 7.5 knots.

Not taking any health chances, we installed a 7' aluminum mast at the aft end of our bridgedeck, which is about 10' back from the helm seat. Our previous 2.2 KW unit had a 4' mast but also*presumably less radiation.*We calculated the required height by using my 6'4" son in law standing at the helm seat as the reference. Since the verticle beam of the radar is 20 degrees, a 10 degree slope down from the radar unit would just skim over his head. (We had also taken into account the extra height gained by the antenna apparatus itself.) Plus, all indications are that the risk is neglible at 10', but who wants to*chance having grandchildren*with unusual characteristics?

Since I always prefer to run the boat from the upper helm I can now always have the radar on, and if we ever do any night running I would definitely only do it from the upper helm with the radar on.

markpierce wrote:
On the TV program "Lobstermen," I always wonder why trawlers keep pciking up the lobster pots.* Either there is a "war" out there or the radar reflectors are ineffective?
Because the lobsterpot lines are very long so the distance between the floats and reflectors is very far.* The otter doors of a trawl net plow along the bottom.* So if a trawler crosses a lobster pot line the doors will snag it and pull it along, and when the trawl net is retrieved the whole mess comes up.* The trawlermen can probably tell if their gear has snagged something and is pulling it along as the resistance will be very high and this will be reflected in the strain on their equipment and the way the trawl rig "behaves."* But by then the damage is done and all the trawlermen can do is recover their gear and clear what's left of the lobsterpot line.

Also wind and waves can conspire to break the radar refectors or their mounts, or the line can break and the float drift off.* All kinds of things happen on the ocean.

koliver wrote:
I wouldn't worry too much about the little stuff on the water.
*The "little stuff" can have long lines hanging from it in the case of crab or shrimp floats, and if you've ever gotton one around your prop or rudder (we*got a totally invisible-from-the surface, unattached pot line around one of our rudders once)*you will know it is indeed something to worry about.

Even sinking line doesn't guarantee anything because with the currents we can get*and depending on how long*the pot line is,*the line often goes out at quite an angle from the float.* Which is why in a crowded field of pot floats if you have to*pass them closely*it is always wise to pass them on the down-current side because the line will be slanting away on the up-current side.

The fender washers I've seen on a lot of floats are not there for radar reflection.* I dont' think the crabbers care about that.* They are used on the line between a knot and the float itself, I assume as part of the way they keep the float on the line.

Marin wrote:JAT wrote:
I'm sure there will be rebuttals....but in this case I would be sure to err on the side of caution.
*Yes.* Big difference between the radar units you are talking about and today's recreational boating radar units.* ATC radar puts major*interference into a* professional video camera from quite a*distance away.* Up to a mile.**That same*video camera held right next to the Furuno radome on our boat sees no interference at all.

I understand what you are saying....but the ATC radar I am speaking about is a truly portable unit made to set up on LZ's in combat zones. *It was not a really high powered radar in comparison with general air field radars that would probably fry a pigeon flying by.

I think though that some of the difference would be that milspec radars have a more finely tuned transmitter, and use fairly heavy duty magnetrons, which I would assume would push a much higher Kw rating, as opposed to recreational marine radars that are probably at the lower end of the power ranges. *Furunos tend to run between 1Kw and 60Kw.

My entire point is: *It would be smarter to err on the side of caution. *I knwo that during the entire 10 years I worked with the three different radars...the ground rule was "stay out of the beam" all the time.

Marin wrote:JAT wrote:
*Precisely. *The closer to the surface of the water it is mounted, the closer the effective horizon is and the shorter the range.
Conversely, the higher a radar antenna is mounted the less it will see items close to the boat.** This is the one advantage of a lower-mounted antenna like the one on our boat.* We have no need to see more than about 6-8 miles in the area we boat so a high antenna and the 36 mile rage of our radar would be of no value to us.*

But the water here*can be littered with crab pot buoys and other stuff.* In calm-ish water these things*will be painted*on our radar right up to*a boat length or*so from the bow.* Very handy when running in fog, which is usually accompanied by calm water.* In fog in areas where crab fishermen regularly work we'll run the radar at a range of 1/8 mile to spot the floats.* Many of them incorporate a big fender washer as part of their lashup so they show up on radar very well.

This is not a reason to mount a radar on the face of the flying bridge-- a mast or arch mount is better for several reasons.* But if one boats in an area with a lot of stuff in the water, particularly crab, shrimp, lobster or net floats, an antenna mounted lower rather than higher on the mast or arch can be very beneficial.

-- Edited by Marin on Wednesday 11th of January 2012 10:11:39 PM

*Your radar is, on that boat mounted about 3 or 4' lower than our on our arch.... *I think if I was concerned about items extremely close to the boat...I would place a slight wedge under the rear of the mount to tilt it slightly forward.

I am much like you...considering that we move along at the blistering speed of 7 to 7.5 kts....using the radar on 24 nm range is relatively pointless.*

Conrad wrote:
...*Since the verticle beam of the radar is 20 degrees, a 10 degree slope down from the radar unit would just skim over his head. ...*
*Assuming a 10 degree slope for the bottom of the radar beam, an antenna mounted 24 feet above the water would "strike" the water about 136 feet away, while if mounted at 10 feet it would "strike" it about 64 feet away.* That's under 4 boat lengths and 2 boat lengths, respectively, for a 36-foot boat.

At 7 knots one would travel the 72-foot difference (136-64) in six seconds.* So, theoretically, one would have 6 more seconds to spot something on the water.* But then could one avoid the object within 2 boat lengths if the object was sighted at the last second?

With an antenna height of 10 feet above water level, the beam would be 8 feet high 16 feet away.* So, both eyes and brain would likely*be within the beam at the boat ends if standing on the deck.* With a 24-foot high antenna, the beam would be well overhead.

-- Edited by markpierce on Monday 16th of January 2012 12:46:26 PM

Old Stone wrote:
Jay - Trips up to Norwalk amaze me that boats aren't trapped in the lobster pot fields left and right. They are just barely visible and cover some pretty wide areas.

Don't want to get off thread TOO far here, but have you ever had to use or test your line cutter? Always been curious.
*Current one no, but previous boat (old 34 Mainship) I had spurs and they cut lines 3 times (In 14 seasons). You hear a "Thunk", look back, see buoy floating free. That quick.

Our antenna is about nine or ten feet off the deck. The sweep is clear of anyone on deck unless, perhaps, a tall person were to stand on the end of the bow pulpit. Again, I'm not saying our antenna position is ideal. It's not for several reasons, none of which have anything to do with the transmission sweep hitting anyone on the boat (unless they are on the flying bridge). But the clarity and the size of the returns from very small targets like crab pot floats at close-in distances is very good, a "feature" that has served us well on several occasions. There is nothing special about the radar--- it's an off-the-shelf Furuno NavNet VX2. It's the lower mounting (I've been told by our electronics guy) that is helping us in this regard.

My radar view from home berth:

Attachments

• home berth chart.jpg
    home berth chart.jpg
    283.2 KB · Views: 80
The newest style radar has 1/100 the output , some claim 1/10 of what a cellphone blasts into your grey matter.

Should make the instaliation decision process easier.

Mark, would it change the picture if you were to turn the gain down a few percentage points?* Doing so might "sharpen" the image.

Ray, I haven't changed the gain yet and should fiddle with it.

Giggitoni wrote:
Mark, would it change the picture if you were to turn the gain down a few percentage points?* Doing so might "sharpen" the image.
******* I agree!

Yes, broadband radar should be sharper than than - I know this and I don't even have one - yet. But I've purved at them enough to know...

Here is one that hangs from a mast, which is easy enough to do on most boats.

download.spark

They can be seen quite well.* $48.00 from Defender.

I can see no reason to hide it.* If one feels that it is unattractive then spend $150 for this one. Also form Defender.

download.spark

-- Edited by JD on Thursday 19th of January 2012 06:50:25 AM

Attachments

• reflector 2.jpg
    reflector 2.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 43
charles wrote:
Related issue: Has anyone given thought to "A" location for a radar reflector?
I mounted mine INSIDE the flying bridge enclosure. Out of the way and out of site. Simply had no other place to put it.
*For those that haven't bought one yet...you can line the inside of your flybridge enclosure with tin foil...the more crinkles the better.

psneeld wrote:charles wrote:
I mounted mine INSIDE the flying bridge enclosure. Out of the way and out of site. Simply had no other place to put it.
*For those that haven't bought one yet...you can line the inside of your flybridge enclosure with tin foil...the more crinkles the better.

What does that do for your TV reception if your TV*antenna that is under the bridge enclosure?*

-- Edited by JD on Thursday 19th of January 2012 07:33:18 AM

not sure...I don't know what the*new digital TV signals are..my guess not good...so then spring for the reflector.* Just passing along a cheapo but effective tip.

JD wrote:What does that do for your TV reception if your TV*antenna that is under the bridge enclosure?*
*-- Edited by JD on Thursday 19th of January 2012 07:33:18 AM

*Here you go, JD.* Increase your radar signature, improve your TV reception and protect yourself from man-caused global warming theorists all at the same time. ;-)

images

FlyWright wrote:JD wrote:What does that do for your TV reception if your TV*antenna that is under the bridge enclosure?*
*-- Edited by JD on Thursday 19th of January 2012 07:33:18 AM

*Here you go, JD.* Increase your radar signature, improve your TV reception and protect yourself from man-caused global warming theorists all at the same time. ;-)

images

*Does that work if I have a 23 year old blonde with large .... Oh forget it I'll just watch TV off of the cable.
biggrin.gif

charles wrote:
*Mine is "mounted" under one of the flybridge seats. My boat "prints" as good as one with*a reflector mounted high (at shorter distances) according to a friend.

I learned this by being passed once by two boats from out marina that were running side by side. One was my slip neighbor and I knew his relfector was mounted inside the flybrdge. His buddy had the identical reflector (davis aluminum) and I thought he had monuted it, but it was actually still under his helm seat and he had an express cruiser. Anyway, the two boats had the identical print on my radar screen...from when they passed me until they were out of site, maybe 2 miles away (then they turned into a harbor and I lost them).

-- Edited by jleonard on Friday 20th of January 2012 09:51:43 AM

I jut picked up a used "Blipper" reflector, and was debating where to mount it. Part of me has thought of mounting it on the rear of one of the dock boxes mounted on top of my aft deck (see picture). My logic is that I have poor rear ward visibility and I move slow - so my fears are of being run down by a faster vessel overtaking me. So mounting the blipper high and aft might give me a better signature for vessels approaching from behind (but I think still give me 360' of decent reflection).

Thoughts?

Attachments

• cimg7399.jpg
    cimg7399.jpg
    184 KB · Views: 79
CCGA regs require boats like ours to be equipped with a radar reflector, and if operated in a busy area (such as Vancouver Harbour, or going under Lions Gate Bridge) to have the reflector deployed properly. No definitions are given to assist with deployment. Under the flybridge will work, as the radar can see through the FG material as if it wasn't there.

On a trip in company with 5 other boats (all compatible speed) in fog, we received a report from a passing fishboat, who commented on the strength of his return from each of us. As you might expect, the reflectors that looked like they should be best, were in fact the best. Those mounted up high lasted to the greatest distance.

As we pass, or are passed by others, I frequently report the strength of the return to the other boater. That often results in a conversation about the kind of reflector, its location, etc. From this I am happy with any metal reflector, mounted in the "rain catch" position, as high as possible. foil covered cardboard is the worst. Those tall, 3" dia cylindrical reflectors are good bang for the buck. Best is what you see on top of Nav bouys.

charles wrote:
*We use the round, multi-plane reflector illustrated in an earlier post and it't mounted on the port mast stay which puts it more or less in the best position (according to the instructions) for reflecting a good target to a radar.

-- Edited by Marin on Friday 20th of January 2012 12:14:00 PM

Attachments

• p1030049.jpg
    p1030049.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 76
We have our drum-shaped reflector near the top of the mast.

Attachments

• radar-reflector.jpg
    radar-reflector.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 75
koliver wrote:
CCGA regs require boats like ours to be equipped with a radar reflector, and if operated in a busy area (such as Vancouver Harbour, or going under Lions Gate Bridge) to have the reflector deployed properly. No definitions are given to assist with deployment. Under the flybridge will work, as the radar can see through the FG material as if it wasn't there.

On a trip in company with 5 other boats (all compatible speed) in fog, we received a report from a passing fishboat, who commented on the strength of his return from each of us. As you might expect, the reflectors that looked like they should be best, were in fact the best. Those mounted up high lasted to the greatest distance.

As we pass, or are passed by others, I frequently report the strength of the return to the other boater. That often results in a conversation about the kind of reflector, its location, etc. From this I am happy with any metal reflector, mounted in the "rain catch" position, as high as possible. foil covered cardboard is the worst. Those tall, 3" dia cylindrical reflectors are good bang for the buck. Best is what you see on top of Nav bouys.
*Actually I remember a practical sailor that tested radar reflectors quite a few years ago now and the foil covered ones did just fine when in the larger sizes.* In fact, when some of the tube type first came out...they scored horribly.* Depends...like a lot of things but foil enev thin foil (not necessarily mylar covered plastic reflects radar radiation just fine.

The important thing for the complex shape ones is proper mounting/orientation.

Giggitoni wrote:
We have our drum-shaped reflector near the top of the mast.
*Ray, I've always meant to ask you what that barrel was for.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom