access to pump out and holding tank vent connections.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ftbinc

Vessel Name
Oma
Vessel Make
Kadey Krogan\Manatee
I am trying to figure out how to replace the pumpout hose and the Vent hose on our Manatee. I can see the hoses, until they go vertical Is there an access point I am missing? It seems they are behind the shower.

Any and all help is appreciated.

Thanks
Paul

I have an inspection camera that I can stick behind things to see, can you stick one in alongside the hose?

I do not own one, but I think I'm buying one....But in this case, there is no room in the vertical to do this anyway. There has to be a way - I am hoping some other Manatee owner can answer the question...

Thanks

Paul

I have an inspection camera that I can stick behind things to see, can you stick one in alongside the hose?

The key thing in replacing hoses that are not accessible is are they tied down or not in the hidden areas. That was why I asked if you have a camera or not. With the camera you might be able to see if the existing hose is tied down or not. If it isn’t tied down you may be able to use the old hose to pull the new one through the inaccessible area.

I am moreover concerned about hose clamps to the pump out port and the vent.

The key thing in replacing hoses that are not accessible is are they tied down or not in the hidden areas. That was why I asked if you have a camera or not. With the camera you might be able to see if the existing hose is tied down or not. If it isn’t tied down you may be able to use the old hose to pull the new one through the inaccessible area.

I may have to.

I'm having the same problem on my Mainship. Two holding tanks and two pump out ports and no access to the underside of either port.

I have a hole saw sized to fit a 4” and a 6” access plate. Unfortunately boat builders don’t care about maintenance just what works for initial assembly.

The majority of Manatees have the vent hose going vertical and through a teak board enclosure in the port fwd corner of the stateroom closet. It’s a 3/4 ID hose leading to an exterior vent, usually on the stripe area. The enclosure can be opened by the removal of philips head screws. For future reference, an in-line odor filter does fit inside the enclosure. Removal of the vent hose from the top of the holding tank is nearly impossible with an athwart-ships mounted genset in fron of it, but you can still replace the reach-able hose inside the closet, install a filter, or even a fan to facilitate ventilation to the tank.

Replacing the pumpout hose requires disconnecting either end, most preferably the pump out side by unscrewing the pumpout fitting and prying the fitting out of the cap rail to expose the hose clamps. If there is not enough hose to pull it up far enough, disconnect the tank end and pull the whole hose out through the cap rail opening. Tie a strong cord to the end of the new hose and snake the rope through the cap rail and as much of the hose as your able to, then while some pushes from above, look for and snag the rope with a stick and hook from the machinery space below the galley. While someone feeds the hose from above, pull the needed length to the tank. Leave a little extra length on the new hose to make it easier to remove the next time. Keep a drill and file handy to carve out a bit of clearance in case the hole at the cap rail is too tight to get the hose clamp through.

Last edited:
:thumb: Been there done that Larry. I also put in a new pumpout fitting on my cap rail to be able to use the marina mandated pumpout quick connect fitting. The OE treads are metric. I had to enlarge the hole to get the hose clamps to clear so I made a teak collar to cover the hole. :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom