Anchorage Restrictions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How does the state find out how many days a boater has been in the state,

Bridges. They log vessel name & hailing port. I suspect they can poll marina records as well, but the bridges are already part of the state bureaucracy.

Bridges. They log vessel name & hailing port. I suspect they can poll marina records as well, but the bridges are already part of the state bureaucracy.

WOW Talk about "Big Brother!!"

I don't think anyone who has been there will dispute that there are problems with derelict boats and livaboards who don't respect their neighbors or the environment in Florida.

The problem many people have is taking away good anchorages such that people legitimately engaged in "navigation" can't use them anymore. I don't care if you pass a law against anchoring, or just put out a bunch of overpriced moorings; you're still taking away a fundamental right to navigation, which in my book includes anchoring.

Florida has given the appearance of not wanting to deal with the real problem, instead just taking a swipe at the easiest targets - cruising boaters. One can only speculate as to whom those politicians are trying to appease.

I can't say if that's waterfront property owners or not. I can say that, in the areas I've seen of the Florida ICW, it's clear that the manatees have very good taste in real estate. The "Slow - Manatee Zone" signs are much more prevalent in areas of higher property values, than in areas where property appears much cheaper.

Just sayin'

We are now in Cocoa Village on our way south and this was one of the first things I noticed. I also saw at least one counterfeit “no wake zone” sign near a stretch of mansions along the ICW.

90 days. No, not required to pay sales or use tax. And his astronomical registration fee for his 37' boat is $78.25

If the boat is over 30 years old, the fee is $15 a year to register an “antique “ in Florida.

San Diego harbor has restricted anchorages where you must have a permit to anchor. The permit is easily obtained on-line and allows you to anchor for up to three days, and only on week-ends. Once you do apply for a permit, you are added to the Harbor Police data base. This method keeps track of would-be "homesteaders" who would otherwise never leave the anchorages. Yes, the anchorages are limited to the number of boats that can use the anchorage.

San Diego harbor has restricted anchorages where you must have a permit to anchor. The permit is easily obtained on-line and allows you to anchor for up to three days, and only on week-ends. Once you do apply for a permit, you are added to the Harbor Police data base. This method keeps track of would-be "homesteaders" who would otherwise never leave the anchorages. Yes, the anchorages are limited to the number of boats that can use the anchorage.

I've often thought one answer would involve a state anchoring registration or permit, perhaps $10, but just to have the record. In my view though, it should require proof of insurance.

I think most traveling boaters would ante up for a $10 permit they could apply for online, pay the fee (paypal?) and be emailed the completed and approved permit.

With an on-board printer they could print it or photograph the computer image on their phone or just show the computer screen to any water cop that wants to verify they have their permit.

Easy Peasy.

I've often thought one answer would involve a state anchoring registration or permit, perhaps $10, but just to have the record. In my view though, it should require proof of insurance.

I think that's a very reasonable suggestion. There are probably lots of other good ideas out there. Seems governments always manage to find (and hang onto) the dumb ideas.

My first thought, however, was that it would stay $10 for a very short time before someone in the state house figured out that they could soak those "rich out-of-state boat owners" for far more, without any push-back from their own local voters. Once it becomes a revenue stream, they're gonna squeeze all they can out of it.

Life is simpler when one has USCG documentation while visiting states that do not also require state registration for extended stays. Surprisingly, California is one such state, at least for now. That doesn't mean one won't be subject to property tax.

Last edited:
WOW Talk about "Big Brother!!"

Regarding bridge tenders writing your name and home port, it has "always" been that way. When I wanted to track down my parents that's how I would do it. I'd call bridges until I found 'em (or at least a proximity)

This was in the 70's up through the late 90's that I'd be looking for them.

When we'd blow open a bridge (three long blasts back then) the bridge tender would ask for our boat name if he didn't catch it. This was after we got a VHF radio (the 1960's -- we were whiskey yankee charlie 7737 if memory serves me)

It sure would be nice to reclaim "our" call sign...

I was remiss regardin' San Diego anchorage permits...they are free.

Life is simpler when one has USCG documentation while visiting states that do not also require state registration for extended stays. Surprisingly, California is one such state, at least for now. That doesn't mean one won't be subject to property tax.

That's all fine until you visit an another state and the moment you enter you are required to register.

One reason there are few free dink docks is many cruisers will bring in a boat load of rubbish to leave ashore.

Even if it is placed in a dumpster , there is a cost to having dumpsters serviced.

My ideal FL inshore cruiser would be a hovercraft style jacking spud barge.

When the local sheriff comes to tell you "anchoring is prohibited" , simply point to the 2 black balls to remind him you are aground.

If the boat is over 30 years old, the fee is $15 a year to register an “antique “ in Florida.

For those of us with "antiques" that's a pretty good deal.

Cheaper than actually registering our boat in our state (which doesn't even require state registration for documented vessels).

It's a always a losing proposition when you try to avoid handing over money to a government that has decided it wants it. Standing on principal is fine, but eventually it comes under the same category of pleading guilty to a traffic violation you didn't commit, because it's cheaper to plead guilty and lose, than it is to fight it and win.

Let your calculator, not your emotions, make your financial decisions. :)

I've often wondered if the State could pass laws to acquire title to derelict boats after some (debatable) period of time, and (mostly?) fund towing/disposal efforts through assessed owner fees (if the owner can be found, and if the owner can pay), plus a partnership of sorts with a commercial salvor, a commercial parts house and a commercial (whole-boat) liquidator.

-Chris

Yes they can.

https://www.dnr.wa.gov/derelict-vessels

The problem in San Diego is the number of boats anchored outside the breakwater. When the winter storms hit, some of them break loose and wind up on the beach at North Island. With no paper trail, the cost of removal falls on the U.S. Navy (read taxpayers.)

Sometimes boats anchor for a favourable tide not months or to avoid bad weather close by, Or it's a nice spot to stay for while, you decide pays your money takes your choice

Here on the Pacific coast of Canada, the things that gets me POed are the proliferation of "private mooring buoys", the derelict boats (both on buoys and anchored) that never move, and fish farms. So when you come into a good anchorage that used to be great, it is now so full of boats, empty buoys, or farming equipment, that it is very difficult to find a spot at a number of locations. As an added bonus, if a fish farm "moves on", you have to worry about getting your anchor fouled on all the "junk" left on the bottom. Don't get me wrong, there are still bays where you can find space, but the popular ones are getting more and more buoys and derelicts.

Oh well, at least the scenery is beautiful! :)

Here on the Pacific coast of Canada, the things that gets me POed are the proliferation of "private mooring buoys", the derelict boats (both on buoys and anchored) that never move, and fish farms. So when you come into a good anchorage that used to be great, it is now so full of boats, empty buoys, or farming equipment, that it is very difficult to find a spot at a number of locations. As an added bonus, if a fish farm "moves on", you have to worry about getting your anchor fouled on all the "junk" left on the bottom. Don't get me wrong, there are still bays where you can find space, but the popular ones are getting more and more buoys and derelicts.

Oh well, at least the scenery is beautiful! :)

Come north of Cape Caution :hello:

Here on the Pacific coast of Canada, the things that gets me POed are the proliferation of "private mooring buoys", the derelict boats (both on buoys and anchored) that never move, and fish farms. So when you come into a good anchorage that used to be great, it is now so full of boats, empty buoys, or farming equipment, that it is very difficult to find a spot at a number of locations.

The same thing is happening here on the "other" coast.

In Maine the problem is the proliferation of "destination" moorings. Even a remote anchorage falls within the borders of some town. All you need to do is show up at the town Harbormaster's office and fill out a form, slap down a few bucks, and you're the proud owner of a mooring. This gives you exclusive rights, 365 x 7, to your little patch of water.

If it's in a remote location away from town or shoreside houses, the locals don't care. They're happy to take your token mooring fee. But it means those formerly great anchorages are filling up with moorings which get used just a few weekends every year. The rest of the time, they're preventing legitimate anchoring.

I don't know the solution. Staying in a marina for $100-$150 per night is great when you're on your two-week annual vacation. When you're cruising for months at a time, it can get cost-prohibitive.

CaptTom, I agree wholeheartedly. Murray, we were up your way this past summer (as far as the Grizzly sanctuary north of PR. It was great, but a long way to go and the fuel cost is getting up there.
Alaskan, soooo true about the clear cutting, but I forgot to mention it in my "fit of anger" about the other issues :).
It's a darn good thing that we get to boat in Valhalla here on the left coast of BC, Puget Sound, and the San Juans, (and Alaska).

One Interesting fact, not many know is if your boat is over 30 Years old there is no fee. You are classed antique and only pay a couple of dollars for the processing fee.
I bought my replacement 1981 Cheoy Lee 65 a couple of months ago ( currently refitting in Tarpon Springs) and came on this "quite" fee structure, 0n some document site. Not really advertised.

So this subject came up in another thread. So I thought I would create a thread dealing with this.

In different parts of the country, municipalities and States have restricted where you can throw the hook. Places like Florida that have multi-million dollar homes on shore and have restricted anchorage as it interferes with the home owners view.

There is also the legal question if the above has the authority to restrict "navigable" or navigation of Federal waters. I have seen places like Sausalito CA restrict anchorages by placing mooring buoys in an area that was full of live aboard.

What have you experienced with restricted anchorages?
\
The state of Florida is about as friendly as a pit viper in a bad mood if your "yacht" ain't worth a couple of million bucks.
They continually pass illegal laws regarding moorage and anchoring and if nobody stands up to the state, they get away with it.
In one case, I'd purchased a 72' shrimp trawler from a customs auction with the plan to turn it quickly after a rehab. I was dockmaster at a Marco Island Marina, but my "unsightly" trawler was chased out of the marina by the nose in the air Marco Island residents pressuring the marina owners.
Having nowhere else to put her, I dropped a pick right next to the bridge that connects the island to the mainland. Talk about pissed off a$$holes! Anyway, long story short, I'd anchored in the ICW's federal waters and there was no amount of pressure the residents could put on the state officials and the local LEO's that could make me move.
Essex had anchoring and mooring regulations for their tiny part of the Connecticut River. After a little research, it came out they not only had zero rights to restrict anchoring there, their town moorings were illegal and would need to be removed if someone informed the federal powers that be. Needless to say, a state of detente was reached and I never saw a city official or water LEO for the remainder of the summer.

Just because some municipality says it has the right to make regulations for a body of water, that does not necessarily mean they actually do. If you run into a problem and you want, do some research and perhaps the municipality will have to change their tune.

That's not about a state or even a city. It's about a marina that doesn't want a huge shrimp trawler being rehabbed in their marina. A marina owner has that right anywhere and I've seen it exercised nearly everywhere. Otherwise they'd lose regular customers. If you want to make the marina rules, then you'll have to buy a marina. Meanwhile most marinas will not allow an unsightly shrimp trawler to be rehabbed at their marina, especially those in a resort area. Had you leased yourself a slip and were you paying for it or just too freedom as dockmaster? Looks like the monthly rate there is just over $2000.

That's not about a state or even a city. It's about a marina that doesn't want a huge shrimp trawler being rehabbed in their marina. A marina owner has that right anywhere and I've seen it exercised nearly everywhere. Otherwise they'd lose regular customers. If you want to make the marina rules, then you'll have to buy a marina. Meanwhile most marinas will not allow an unsightly shrimp trawler to be rehabbed at their marina, especially those in a resort area. Had you leased yourself a slip and were you paying for it or just too freedom as dockmaster? Looks like the monthly rate there is just over $2000.
Actually, the owner had absolutely no problems with my trawler in his marina. He was intrigued by the project.

I'm guessing you've never been to Marco Island Florida! It's one of those lovely Florida communities where a city official goes around with a ruler, and if your lawn is a ¼" too long, the city mows your lawn and bills you exorbitantly. Another really nice thing about that "community" is that you are only allowed to park an automobile in your own driveway. No trucks, vans, trailers or other conveyances. All the pressure was from a few condo commander type residents of MI.

These residents even had some sort of state government official come by and as we talked, when he found out I was the dockmaster (manager), he threw up his hands (literally) and said he would have no further involvement. He called it a great waste of his time.
Don't you think, as dockmaster, that I'd checked with the owner and my clients before bringing a 72' shrimp trawler to the marina? By the time she got there she was freshly painted and only an eyesore to the stuck up residents who had nothing better to do. Sounds like the kind of place you'd fit right in.

Oh well, at least the scenery is beautiful!
You forgot the clear cutting of timber on the banks of that bay

I could not disagree with you more! Timber is an agricultural crop that seems to be managed quite well in BC. Really no different than a food crop, I am assuming you eat, do you complain about the fields that are plowed? We have hiked many a logging road in BC, easier to tie up the dink on a float at a camp than to anchor out. Been invited to dinner, and have had great conversations with individuals that log the coast.
Don't recall any fish farms north of Cape Caution
Jackson Pass
Sheep Passage

The state of Florida is about as friendly as a pit viper in a bad mood if your "yacht" ain't worth a couple of million bucks.
I have not found this to be true at all here in my home state. It is too bad you did not travel further up the west coast. Boating is so much fun, and Florida is one of the nicest places to find a spot and throw out the anchor. Well, at least in the wintertime without the noseeums.

I was dockmaster at a Marco Island Marina, but my "unsightly" trawler was chased out of the marina by the nose in the air Marco Island residents pressuring the marina owners.
Actually, the owner had absolutely no problems with my trawler in his marina. He was intrigued by the project.
Not intrigued enough, perhaps?

Having nowhere else to put her, I dropped a pick right next to the bridge that connects the island to the mainland. Talk about pissed off a$$holes!
This sounds rather stressful to me. I have learned that revenge-seeking is a very negative state of mind and can lead to a heightened sense of victimization.

Pea
Trying to figure out if I should varnish my sole.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom