It is Xmas today

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lou_tribal

Guru
Vessel Name
Bleuvet
Vessel Make
Custom Built
I just received some new toys

image1(1)(1)(1)(1).jpeg

Just in time to plane some mahogany to make my new cabinet doors :)

L

Some sort of weird trailer hitches?

My wife got me a complete new setup of 18 volt Rigid tools, 3 impacts, 3 drills, sawsall, circular saw, lights, multi tool, bluetooth radio, DA sander, 3 chargers and 8 batteries. I did love my old Dewalt 18 volt tools but the batteries are getting old and I would have had to make a significant investment in new batteries so I went with Rigid. The great thing about buying Rigid tools at Home Depot is the LSA, Lifetime Service Agreement, that includes the batteries.

My wife got me a complete new setup of 18 volt Rigid tools, 3 impacts, 3 drills, sawsall, circular saw, lights, multi tool, bluetooth radio, DA sander, 3 chargers and 8 batteries. I did love my old Dewalt 18 volt tools but the batteries are getting old and I would have had to make a significant investment in new batteries so I went with Rigid. The great thing about buying Rigid tools at Home Depot is the LSA, Lifetime Service Agreement, that includes the batteries.
Do you have enough power outlet to plus all this??? :)

L

Nice Lou , that little Stanley has some meat to it.

Do you have enough power outlet to plus all this??? :)

L
Lou`s plane set needs no electricity,just arm power.
They`re not new, are they Lou? A vintage set?

Lou`s plane set needs no electricity,just arm power.
They`re not new, are they Lou? A vintage set?
Yup vintage ones, I love old hand tools, the oldest I have is a bedrock 604 from early 1900s and the old wood foreplane hand made by my great grandfather who was a sawyer and carpenter.

L

I just received some new toys

View attachment 83205

Just in time to plane some mahogany to make my new cabinet doors :)

L

Now you need an antique heat gun. You know the ones from our childhood where we remember the guys using one that sounded like a jet aircraft taking off!

AKA Blowtorch, gasoline fueled

Greetings,
Mr. m. I think they may have been designed to work with Naptha (white gas/paraffin) but I think anything that was cheap, would burn and was handy was used. Gasoline, paint thinner, kerosene and probably diesel if they could get it lit.
There was a priming cup under the nozzle you filled with your fuel and burnt the fuel thereby heating the nozzle which helped to vaporize said fuel.
Traditional way of heating your soldering iron.

th

Last edited:
Pre propane, Companion made little camping stoves which ran on kerosene, preheated with methylated spirits/alcohol(we call it"metho") in the collar/cup surrounding the nozzle.Blowtorch was similar. Metho stoves on boats use metho for preheat and for fuel.
To use those planes at night you`d need to use a Tilley pressure lamp with the fragile mantle, not one of those new fangled electric light thingies.

Pre propane, Companion made little camping stoves which ran on kerosene, preheated with methylated spirits/alcohol(we call it"metho") in the collar/cup surrounding the nozzle.Blowtorch was similar. Metho stoves on boats use metho for preheat and for fuel.
To use those planes at night you`d need to use a Tilley pressure lamp with the fragile mantle, not one of those new fangled electric light thingies.
I am using candles :D

L

That`s a Tilley? Oops, the one I`m thinking of had a pump plunger built in, to pressurize it,for ultimate bright light. But that might do,it looks well used.
I`m guessing Lou would appreciate a spokeshave for Christmas. Originally for shaping the timber wheel spokes, for horse drawn carts.

Mr. BK. Nope, You're right. The Tilley had the pump and the delicate mantle. Pictured is a kerosene lantern with a wick.

Greetings,
Mr. L_t. Nice but lay them on their sides...

Hopefully, the blades are withdrawn. But thanks for echoing my father's voice in my head. I immediately cringed when I saw them on finished wood table.

Love those planes.

For those of you who like old tools, a trip to Liberty Tool in Maine is not to be missed. Liberty Tool -- Tools

And as xmas is just starting here is the masterpiece of my collection that I received today and just finished to renovate and setup, bedrock 604C type 3 manufactured between 1900 and 1908, connoisseurs will appreciate

image2(1)(1)(1).jpeg

L

Aaaaghhh On it's side Lou!!!!
But,if the blade is fully retracted......
I salute the true traditionalists,no love for the electric plane.

But,if the blade is fully retracted......
I salute the true traditionalists,no love for the electric plane.
I have an electric plane, never been able to use it appropriately, and I prefer by far the nice shavings a hand plane produces.

L

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom