Riviera GB36 - osmosis?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GeoffW

Hi there,

I'm interested in a Riviera-built 1987 GB36 Sedan. Do any of you good folk know if these are known to have significant osmosis issues?
All information gratefully received!

Thanks.

Is this it? https://www.boatsales.com.au/boats/details/1987-Grand-Banks-36/SSE-AD-5780284/?cr=0&gts=SSE-AD-5780284&gtssaleid=SSE-AD-5780284&gtsviewtype=Spotlight&psq=%28%28Service%3D%5BBoatsales%5D%26Make%3D%5BGRAND%20BANKS%5D%29%26%28%28%28SiloType%3D%5BDealer%20used%20boats%5D%7CSiloType%3D%5BDealer%20new%20boats%5D%29%7CSiloType%3D%5BPrivate%20used%20boats%5D%29%7CSiloType%3D%5BDemo%20and%20near%20new%20boats%5D%29%29&pso=0&pss=Premium
I can recall a broker saying,years ago, about Singapore and Australian builds, that one got large sporadic blisters and the other small blisters all over,can`t recall which was which. Other than that, I`ve heard nothing. 30+ years post build it ought be apparent in evidence or in repairs. You could ask the owner if it currently has, or has a history of, osmosis.
The boat is the first single engine Riv built GB36 I`ve seen. Should be economical to run and maintain.
Did you see this one in TF classifieds?
Island Gypsy 32 no doubt best IG32 in Australia
https://www.berowrawatersmarina.com....y-32-halvorsen
Higher price bracket but ? worth reading.

Last edited:
Is this it? https://www.boatsales.com.au/boats/details/1987-Grand-Banks-36/SSE-AD-5780284/?cr=0&gts=SSE-AD-5780284&gtssaleid=SSE-AD-5780284&gtsviewtype=Spotlight&psq=%28%28Service%3D%5BBoatsales%5D%26Make%3D%5BGRAND%20BANKS%5D%29%26%28%28%28SiloType%3D%5BDealer%20used%20boats%5D%7CSiloType%3D%5BDealer%20new%20boats%5D%29%7CSiloType%3D%5BPrivate%20used%20boats%5D%29%7CSiloType%3D%5BDemo%20and%20near%20new%20boats%5D%29%29&pso=0&pss=Premium

I can recall a broker saying,years ago, about Singapore and Australian builds, that one got large sporadic blisters and the other small blisters all over,can`t recall which was which. Other than that, I`ve heard nothing. 30+ years post build it ought be apparent in evidence or in repairs. You could ask the owner if it currently has, or has a history of, osmosis.
The boat is the first single engine Riv built GB36 I`ve seen. Should be economical to run and maintain.
Did you see this one in TF classifieds?
Island Gypsy 32 no doubt best IG32 in Australia
https://www.berowrawatersmarina.com....y-32-halvorsen
Higher price bracket but ? worth reading.

Hi Bruce,
Yes, that's the one. If a price is agreed, we'd be getting a survey of course. I hadn't seen a single engine one either - quite rare. Thanks for sharing your knowledge.
I saw your previous post on this IG32 - it's more than we want to spend.

We`ve been in Brooklyn for 3 years +, at Dolphin,I don`t remember seeing this boat, it could have been on a marina, I think there was one at Fenwicks, and put on a swing mooring by an owner changing boats. I like that none of the internal exposed timber has been painted,suggesting no water ingress.
The location of the genset, ? well outboard to stbd,is unusual. Normally located centrally at the aft end of the ER, what balances the weight of the genset?

We`ve been in Brooklyn for 3 years +, at Dolphin,I don`t remember seeing this boat, it could have been on a marina, I think there was one at Fenwicks, and put on a swing mooring by an owner changing boats. I like that none of the internal exposed timber has been painted,suggesting no water ingress.
The location of the genset, ? well outboard to stbd,is unusual. Normally located centrally at the aft end of the ER, what balances the weight of the genset?

It's currently on a swing mooring at Sandbrook.
Genset is on the port side (the photo was taken facing aft). There are lead weights on the starboard side to offset the weight of the genset.
The boat has a few mechanical issues.

...The boat has a few mechanical issues.
Callaghans, at Fenwicks, do Volvo, but seem to be regarded as pricy. There are other mechanics in Sandbrook Inlet(aka "The Gut"),if you need suggestions by all means ask.

Callaghans, at Fenwicks, do Volvo, but seem to be regarded as pricy. There are other mechanics in Sandbrook Inlet(aka "The Gut"),if you need suggestions by all means ask.

Yes please, that would be very helpful. I have just received estimates from Callaghan's to do some work; they do seem pricey.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom