Watering system for batteries

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Molly

Vessel Name
La Bella Vita
Vessel Make
2006 Mainship 34T
I just installed a new bank of lead/acid batteries. The old bank was only 2 years old. The reason they went south is lack of water. I just purchased the boat in June. The po apparently did not check the water very often. It is a royal pain in the neck!

I've seen those watering systems on line and YouTube. You change out the caps with their caps and connect them together with a hose. Then you can run the end to a convenient spot and just pump the distilled water from a bottle and once all the cells are full, it stops taking water.

Any suggestions on brand? There are only a few. Some are brand specific, like Trojan. Others are universal.

Also, how do you determine the cap size?

This would make a once per month chore pretty quick and easy. That way it would get done.

I think the cost is around $250 for 24 cells plus the pump is $35.

Would appreciate any suggestions or advice. I don't want to replace those 135# batteries for 5 - 7 years!

Last edited:
These systems are much more prevalent in the RV world. You might get more feedback on some RV forums.

You might want to test the charging system / battery charger to be sure that it is not over charging. If you have a battery charger is it a quality charger? You don’t want to ruin the new bank.

Always had them on my boats. Bought them from Jans water craft.
I had 14xL16's On my 65 C&L Had 10x T105's on My Cheo Lee 50 and about to install 10x L16"s on my new aquistion ( Cheoy Lee 65) All very simple to install. Just connected up every 2 weeks and pumped. Found I used a lot less water with them as well.

I think automatic watering systems are pretty silly. In both my boats as well as RV I never have to add water more than twice each year. Modern chargers keep from overcharging and boiling water out!!!

David

They're very common for when the bank is in an awkward spot.

All FLA properly charged will need topping up, bubbling & offgassing is perfectly normal and in fact healthy toward the end as 100% Full is approached, and while equalizing.

Trojan makes ones fit other brands.

Flow-rite is one brand I've encountered a fair bit.

The ones with individual valves per cell connected with hoses will be more universal, but watch out for hole diameter.

Also still check manually once in a while, especially in the beginning, sometimes need tweaking.

There are also caps that "recycle" the vapour, so need topping up less frequently.

How much water you will use is a function of level of discharge and how many times per month. When I was doing the Great Loop, there were periods of up to two weeks straight where I was anchoring out, discharging the bank 15 to 20% each night, and then recharging the next day while underway. Watering once a month was fine. Waiting 2 to 3 months would likely have exposed the top of the plates.

While I like the idea of just dealing with one watering point, the paranoid side of me would be worrying about something unseen going wrong. I've resolved myself to doing it once a month and filling each individual cell. Kind of a forced discipline to inspect and check for abnormal water use in one cell, battery, or series of batteries.

Ted

Maybe a pain, but I too, want to know where the water is going, so I have an idea what each battery/cell is up to...

Maybe a pain, but I too, want to know where the water is going, so I have an idea what each battery/cell is up to...
Me too, and mine are very accessible so I do, but if they are not a system may help. FWIW, I have a set of Water Miser caps on one FLA 8D,and I don`t think it makes a lot of difference to water consumption.

Me too, and mine are very accessible so I do, but if they are not a system may help. FWIW, I have a set of Water Miser caps on one FLA 8D,and I don`t think it makes a lot of difference to water consumption.

Me 4. Flashlight, safety glasses, funnel and rubber gloves.

Greetings,
Slight thread drift...One of these is ideal for topping up batteries. Automatic stop BUT not 100% automatic. You still have to watch carefully. Still a heck of a lot easier than bending over fill caps and adding bit by bit.

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/...l-battery-filler-2-quart/w54274/4614417?pos=0

w54274.jpg

A head torch is handy checking batts,that way you have a free hand. I use the small pouring "jug" that comes with the domestic iron usually used by "her indoors" (ref to "Minder") to add demineralized water, but I have very good access(though not to the stern gland under the batts).
And RTF, I cannot read the name "O`Reilly" without thinking of Fawlty Towers"

Greetings,
Mr. BK. I cannot read the name "Bunnings" without thinking of...

200.gif
Not enough pixelation! But it is "n" twice, not "m" once.
Bunnings is owned by Wesfarmers Ltd(in which I disclose a very minor indirect stockholding). Good organization,but recently bombed out in UK trying to set up there.The range of gas powered water blasters was a surprise, probably bought by house exterior cleaners. Some are really powerful, would sure clean that guy`s butt.

Last edited:
The simplest , if you have the space is the hydrocaps.

The comments concerning batt use , charge & discharge are spot on.More discharge , more recharge , more water used.

Also sadly the faster you recharge , the more water is consumed , although the hydrocaps are a great help.

Hydrocap |

hydrocapcorp.com/
Recharging a lead-acid battery The electrolyte in lead-acid batteries is a dilute solution of sulfuric acid in water. As the lead-acid cell reaches a full state of ...‎Products · ‎About Us · ‎Contact Us · ‎Store

Last edited:
That filler that RTF shows is what I use. Never over fills and I don't have to be able to look into the batt.

I am afraid I am in Ted's camp and want to see and be assured each cell is full. I have two of the watering jugs that RTF shows and use one on the boat and the other for the golf cart. Doesn't take that long although I have better access in this boat than our previous and don't work out the bad knees near as much:facepalm:

I appreciate all the ideas!
My batteries are not very accessible at all. I can get a funnel with a rubber hose to reach each cell. About 1/2 of them I can actually look into. The rest, not so much.
I looked at my charger, not sure what I am looking at. I guess I need to get down there with a voltmeter and check to see if the gauge matches the real number. If it's at 13.5v on a trickle charge, that should be OK.
I need to install 1 more gauge anyway, maybe just do all 4? New gauges, watering system, I'm golden!

The other solution is to install AGM batteries and never worry about filling them ever again. You don't need to remove them in the winter, or keep them on a trickle charger. I shut my battery switch off and 6 months later, turn it on and I have lights, stereo, etc. immediately available. AGM have miniscule amp loss when isolated.

AGM are, at least, double the cost of acid/lead batteries. Besides the fact I just purchase a whole new bank, 3 8D's and 1 size 31. They only cost me $700. I will guarantee AGM's would have been closer to $2000. I can't justify that much more cost. With good routine maint., a flooded battery will last 5 - 7 seasons. I live in SW la., so our winter is our boating season. Rarely gets below 45! Maybe if I was living on the boat or doing the loop, I would consider AGM?

Greetings,
One of these is ideal for topping up batteries. Automatic stop BUT not 100% automatic. You still have to watch carefully. Still a heck of a lot easier than bending over fill caps and adding bit by bit.

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/...l-battery-filler-2-quart/w54274/4614417?pos=0

Great idea for you fellows, provided you have strong wrists. I have difficulty with them. On one boat I was working on a while back (batts, what else?!?) that boat had a half-sized water jug like shown above. Although I could use it, I found a Cool Whip bowl with distilled water was just as easy.

Aboard Seaweed I check my batts the first week of each month. Normal method is to separate each batt out, measuring each cell individually for voltage. IF there is a discrepancy of more than .2 volts between the cells I in a single battery, I know that within three months that batt will be toast. (So far, that's the way it's worked)

But checking each cell, load testing, etc.... well, all that takes time and sometimes I just want the job done. It is important to do this monthly, at least for folks like me using the inexpensive lead acid batteries from Walmart.

One thing I have discovered is that I've got a "cheater" method that appears to be working well (six months or so testing)...

I put the electric charger on for a few hours first (leaving the wind and solar array in line too)
Then I open up the bilge.
I shoot the top of each cell (NOT just the battery or the studs, the individual caps) and check for temperature discrepancies.

My readings through the bilge for every battery except one was close to 82 degrees.

Battery-82.jpg

Recently I found one batt that was a lot hotter than the rest of my bank. One cell showed 102!
Battery-102.jpg

That battery got special attention. When I opened the cap I could see the fluid was low:

Battery-102-FluidLow.jpg

I topped off the battery and then rechecked it the next day. All was well.

For me, I'll individually check each cell every quarter now, instead of monthly. I am using the infrared thermometer gun every month though. Anyway, that's my take on it.

Check once thoroughly and then use the infrared gun to monitor how things are.

battery topup.

Over some 50 years I have only ever lost batteries and had to replace them because I forgot to top them up. Some 10 years ago I decided that enough was enough and now only buy dry batteries like AGM. Never lost one since!

Checking Batteries

Love coming to these forums and checking things out, learn , laugh, etc..back in my coast guard days and my last job we had many start batteries,,,mostly 8D;s....weekly we would check the electrolyle levels...water and monthl;y take hydrometer readings on each cell..i do that pretty my with my 48' Albin,,,if u are on a constant charge u should be checking weekly..and don't forget to used distilled water...the auto filler container is great....by checking batteries u can check for corrosions on terminal, over charging, etc...

Molly - Don't want to be a buzz kill but the best solution is to purchase AGM batteries. I have been through the trials and tribulations of flooded cells, replacing them all to frequently. I bought a set of AGMs in 2012 and they were going strong when I sold the boat in 2017. Have 6 new 135 AH AGMs on Avalon. You may also need to swap out the alternator as AGMs require a smart (digital) regulator so they don't get over charged but once you have the system installed, you have fairly worry free DC power.

I installed two sets of watering caps for my eight T-145's from these folks several months ago. https://www.batterywatering.com/
Their web site has a chart for selecting the proper cap style(you'll be looking for the "Commercial valves"}. The Trojan T-145's used the VB-TBU caps which have individual indicators to show when topped up.
So far no issues and, for me at least, the indicators are worth the cost.

Last edited:
I just installed a new bank of lead/acid batteries. The old bank was only 2 years old. The reason they went south is lack of water. I just purchased the boat in June. The po apparently did not check the water very often. It is a royal pain in the neck!

I've seen those watering systems on line and YouTube. You change out the caps with their caps and connect them together with a hose. Then you can run the end to a convenient spot and just pump the distilled water from a bottle and once all the cells are full, it stops taking water.

Any suggestions on brand? There are only a few. Some are brand specific, like Trojan. Others are universal.

Also, how do you determine the cap size?

This would make a once per month chore pretty quick and easy. That way it would get done.

I think the cost is around $250 for 24 cells plus the pump is $35.

Would appreciate any suggestions or advice. I don't want to replace those 135# batteries for 5 - 7 years!
I have two systems. They are wonderful. The pump is a priming ball and works well. Purchased mine from Flo-Rite in Portage, Michigan ((616) 583-1700).

Talk to them about their Battery Life Saver system. It is an electronic device that emits a sign wave signal that breaks down sulfate crystals on battery plates thereby eliminating the need to equalize the batteries.

If your batteries are not being charged by a multi stage charger, you might want to investigate the Battery Minder system, the same sign wave, but with a trickle charger.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom