Power take off (PTO)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Matt J.

Hello I'm new to the forum. I hope I'm posting in the right area of the page. I am planning on starting a boat dock cleaning business here in Tennessee. I am wondering, is it possible to use a (PTO) power take off pressure washer on a pontoon boat? From what I understand, a water pump is not needed with a PTO pressure washer. This is the reason I am asking about this particular pressure washer.
I'm not very mechanically inclined but I am a fast learner. Are there better options for drafting lake water for pressure washing? I do understand that the water will have to be filtered, I just need to get info on how and if this can be done. Any and all suggestions welcome. Thanks in advance.

I don't know where on a typical pontoon boat a PTO take off would be available....Most PTO take offs that I've seen are built in to the gear sets. In my simplistic mind a washdown pump would supply enough volume of lake water for most gas powered pressure washers that I've seen....

Most pontoon boats are outboard powered and it isn't possible to rig a power take off from one of those. Also most moderate size outboards don't have a big enough DC alternator to power a pressure washer.

I would recommend a small, inverter generator like the Honda 2000 and lots of others that produces 110V power that runs a sump/utility pump that pulls up water from the lake, feeds it to a high pressure washer that is also powered by the generator. I think you need a separate lake water feed pump because I don't think most pressure washers are designed for the lift that you need.

Since you are in fresh water, pumps can be easily found from Harbor Freight, Northern Tool and others. Check the current draw of the sump pump and pressure washer because you may need a larger generator than a Honda 2000. A Honda 3000 or a Yamaha 2,800 will probably do it.

OTOH, if your pressure washer is gasoline powered and all you need is to get lake water up to the pw then this pump will probably work: https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200635533_200635533

It draws 7 amps DC which shouldn't tax your outboard's alternator but it would be best if you had a couple of 6V golf cart batteries wired in series connected to the outboard and the water pump to have plenty of extra power available. You wouldn't even have to run the outboard if your pressure washing job is only an hour or so. The outboard will recharge the batteries when you go to your next assignment.

David

Last edited:
Remove the propeller and use the shaft as your PTO :D

L

Ka_sea_ta that's kind of what I was thinking. I was just hoping I was wrong:D.
I'll check into that wash down pump though. Thanks.

Lou_tribal :rofl:

djmarchand Thanks for the info. I was thinking I would just go with a gas pressure washer so the sump/utility pump is a great idea, along with the (2) 6 volt batteries. Is a sump/utility pump considered a trash pump? I heard if I'm drafting from the lake I may want a trash pump in case I suck up some debris up.

also would anybody have a suggestion on a water filter to hook up after the pump? It's a pretty clean lake, but of course it is still a lake lol.

Make sure you are aware of any local laws and environmental regulations. It wouldn’t surprise me if you would need a special license and “discharge permit”. Governments like a hand in your back pocket!

As to the intake, just put a strainer on it and it will keep the debris out.

djmarchand Thanks for the info. I was thinking I would just go with a gas pressure washer so the sump/utility pump is a great idea, along with the (2) 6 volt batteries. Is a sump/utility pump considered a trash pump? I heard if I'm drafting from the lake I may want a trash pump in case I suck up some debris up.

also would anybody have a suggestion on a water filter to hook up after the pump? It's a pretty clean lake, but of course it is still a lake lol.

The pump I referenced is probably not considered a trash pump. Here is a fine strainer that will protect both your utility pump and the power washer (which is the one that really does need protection) from tiny debris: https://www.amazon.com/Remes-Filter...&qid=1543792521&sr=8-42&keywords=water+filter.

David

djmarchand, Thank you sir. If the pump supplies more gpm than the pressure washer will spray, will that cause any problems?

Last edited:
Giggitoni, I've checked the EPA site. As far as I know, as long as I don't use certain chemicals on the boat dock I should be ok. But, I will definitely give them a call to confirm. Thanks

Last edited:
There are gasoline engined pressure water pumps,an all in one,I`ve seen them at marinas, used for water blasting hulls after haulout. I`ve even used one during a DIY haulout, seriously powerful too.

djmarchand, Thank you sir. If the pump supplies more gpm than the pressure washer will spray, will that cause any problems?

I don't think you will have a problem as it is a centrifugal not a positive displacement pump. A centrifugal pump can run ok with very little flow, just enough to keep it cool.

That pump is rated for about 5 gpm which is much more than your power washer pump, which is probably 1-2 gpm. But that 5 gpm spec is with no head. You will have about 4' of suction head plus some to the pw pmp plus some equivalent head for the filter/strainer. All of that head will drop the 5 gpm output significantly.

Should work ok.

I saw the comment about the haul out pressure wash pump. Good suggestion. Go by a nearby yard and see what they use. Probably expensive though.

David

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom