Avalon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KJ

El Capitan
Vessel Name
Avalon
Vessel Make
Chung Hwa 46 LRC
Hey guys (and gals),

Had to retire ol' "Obi Wan". Her hyperdrive finally*seized up.

This is my new (to me) sweetheart*"Avalon" (think Shangri La, Eden, Valinor, etc., also a very cool song by Roxy Music).

Anyway, she's a 1986 Chung Hwa 46 LRC.

Twin DD 4082's.

She'll be on the hard for a while getting a "face lift".*

Got*the tiitle yesterday** (phew!)*********

Excuse me, I have to sit down and take a deep breath** KJ

download.spark

-- Edited by KJ on Sunday 15th of January 2012 02:38:04 AM

Hey El Capitan,

Looks like a great boat. *Take pics and keep us up on the facelift. *Congratulations.

Very nice! Congrats!!
Steve W.

Very pretty boat! Let's see some more pictures as soon as you can :)

Ocean Breeze NL wrote:
Looks nice.. I just checked out*http://www.paradiseyachtsales.net/Boat28.html and it looks very similar. WOW it does look nice!

Good on you!*

Elwin*

-- Edited by Ocean Breeze NL on Saturday 14th of January 2012 04:39:56 PM
*Thanks.* The '85**45CW has a very similar interior, although the one at Paradise is*in better shape than Avalon's.* I will probably gut most of the interior. Right now the*inside is pretty dark and*funky. Like there's*a real yucky*carpet covering a really nice parquet floor. She'll need new*furniture too.*I will be updating/replacing the electronics also.

The toe-rail, gunwales, and non-skid will be repainted*while she's on the hard.*

Here's a few more pic's.*** KJ*

-- Edited by KJ on Thursday 19th of January 2012 02:04:30 PM

Attachments

• avalon.7.jpg
    avalon.7.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 91
  • avalon.9.jpg
    avalon.9.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 94
  • avalon.5.jpg
    avalon.5.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 88
  • avalon.6.jpg
    avalon.6.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 95
  • avalon.8.jpg
    avalon.8.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 93
  • avalon.4.jpg
    avalon.4.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 96
  • avalon.3.jpg
    avalon.3.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 97
  • avalon.2.jpg
    avalon.2.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 94
Looks good. You are in for a lot of fun - expense as well, but remember, it's all meant to be fun. She looks basically sound and attractive to boot. Can we have more interiors soon, so we can see the difference when you complete you internal mods. You never know, we might even save you some money by talking you out of some expensive ideas, or proffering cheaper options..?

-- Edited by Peter B on Sunday 15th of January 2012 03:17:32 AM

When does it start getting warm in the Myrtle Beach/Little River SC area?** KJ

-- Edited by KJ on Thursday 19th of January 2012 02:20:37 PM

Did any of you replace or refurbished your saloon with new furniture and fixtures when you bought your boat? Did you go for a theme or motif, or just what was comfy? Where did you buy your "stuff"? Photos would be good.

KJ

KJ wrote:

*Is your boat*by chance located at Silver Coast marine?* That haulout point and yard look familiar...* If it were me I'd be boating again by mid March, but I've seen 60 degree days in January.* Good luck!

wow what a beauty.* congratulations.

Egregious wrote:KJ wrote:

*Is your boat*by chance located at Silver Coast marine?* That haulout point and yard look familiar...* If it were me I'd be boating again by mid March, but I've seen 60 degree days in January.* Good luck!

She was hauled at Silver Coast for the survey. Right now she is in the water at the Myrtle Beach Yacht Club. She will be on the hard at the Anchor Marina yard at least until April. ****** KJ

Way to go my man. you've lurking quite a while. Glad to see things finally came through for you.

Are you keeping the name?

Sd*

skipperdude wrote:
Way to go my man. you've lurking quite a while. Glad to see things finally came through for you.

Are you keeping the name?

Sd*
I learned a hell of a lot of valuable info from the folks here on TF. I think I went into the final search armed with a lot more knowledge then I would have if I hadn't been "lurking". Besides lurking is fun. I think the two most important lessons I learned were patience and compromise.*

I see folks come onto this site at least once or twice a week that have*been bitten by the*trawler "bug" and want to buy the first boat that they see and think they*can afford. It seems like we don't see too many of them come back after they get a strong dose of reality from the experienced folks here.*

Also, if you don't come to the realization that your "dream boat" will only be found if you are willing to compromise and*understand the difference between what you*want and what you need,*you will be dry sailing for a long time.

I*would still like some info on the furniture inquiry though.******** KJ*

Which name?

-- Edited by KJ on Thursday 19th of January 2012 03:13:43 PM

I thought you said it was Avalon and the boat was a Chung hwa.

I'm sooo confused.

SD

Oh I get it now.**Duhh!!!**You changed your name from KJ to El Capitan

-- Edited by skipperdude on Thursday 19th of January 2012 03:09:15 PM

skipperdude wrote:

I'm sooo confused.

SD

No, someone else did that.

KJ, been outa touch for awhile here in Guatamala, did not know you had gotten your boat. Congrats Man!!!!!! It looks great and now you wont ever be bored again, and just think where she can take you. You will love it and have a project that will last you forever. Good job,KJ. BB

KJ wrote:skipperdude wrote:

I'm sooo confused.

SD

No, someone else did that.

*I know who, but I'm not talking.
no.gif

belizebill wrote:
KJ, been outa touch for awhile here in Guatamala, did not know you had gotten your boat. Congrats Man!!!!!! It looks great and now you wont ever be bored again, and just think where she can take you. You will love it and have a project that will last you forever. Good job,KJ. BB
Thanks Bill. I'm pretty jazzed.*It took a while to find a good boat with a decent cockpit, which I will need for diving.*
I hope to be down your way during the winter of 2014. *I'm planning to dive on Hol Chan Cut,* Turneffe,* Blue Hole,*Coral Garden (Caye Caulker), Glover's Atoll, and Gladden Spit.
I've been following your trip up the Rio Dulce.* I had visions of you leading an expedition up a deep dark jungle river and anchoring in some**"Black Lagoon" backwater.*From your account it actually sounded quite civilized (no offense to any Guatemalans that may be reading this).*
Irish Miss is sure strutting her stuff. *Looking *very nice.** Any lessons* learned from your trip?***Also, what was the advantage of having the work done in Guatemala?* ********** KJ*

-- Edited by KJ on Sunday 22nd of January 2012 11:41:06 PM

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom