Bottom Paint

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pauliemv

Vessel Name
ALITA V
Vessel Make
Cape Dory 28
New to trawlers and curious as to what folks like for bottom paint. I harbor in The waters in and around Martha’s Vineyard.
Had a sailboat for several years and used Micron Extra with Biocide with excellent success. Feedback appreciated.

Welcome. I use Micron too and very pleased with it.

I've used Interlux paints in the past several of them.
However last season I tried Petit Hydrocoat, and won't use anything else now. It went on so much easier than any other bottom paint I have used. And water clean up. And I had almost no barnacles or growth. Can't say enough about it.
I boat in eastern LI Sound.

Do you get more than a season out of the Petite?

I have had excellent luck with the Jamestown Distributers water based and the Petit Hydro Coat. ( My guess is it is the same stuff) I used the expensive Interlux solvent based for many years and got sick of the $$$ and solvents. Tried the JD stuff and Petit interchangeably and never looked back after getting great results. JD or Petit Hydro Coat is the way to go. I tend to put one lite coat on every year just because it makes things look better but 2 or 3 coats would bropably get you a couple of years. We haul in the fall and launch in the spring. Another key is to use the boat to keep the ablative fresh.

Last edited:
Another vote for the Hydrocoat, I use the eco version. Very pricey, but lasts several seasons. I reapply when I can see the old paint coming through or there is growth starting. Just to make my life easier, I started doing one side of the boat per year, takes a gallon. Half the work.

I too think Pettit makes a great paint. I boat in very warm waters and use Pettit's Trinidad (plain version) because it contains the highest percent of cuprous oxide I can find for barnacles and other warm water creatures, advertised as up to 75%. Two weeks ago I used their underwater metal primer paint on my running gear to help the Trinidad from wearing off props, rudders, etc. The yard guy always used Interlux 2000E as his metal primer and said the Pettit primer was 100x's faster and better. He didn't give me a discounted rate on his labor, though :nonono:

I've always used Pettit Trinidad on the sailboat. One year tried Micron and had much more slime buildup. Trinidad cannot be stored out of the water, so on the trawler I tried Pettit Hydrocoat Eco, which can be stored dry indefinitely. There was no slime or growth in the brief time I had it in the water. I will say that the Hydrocoat is a joy to use without reservation compared to Trinidad or Micron. It doesn't stink, can be cleaned up with water (though you have to be quick - after a short time it dries enough that solvent is necessary). It rolls on smoother than any other bottom paint I've ever used. And perhaps best of all, the re-coat instructions say "power wash and apply" - no sanding. Having sanded the Trinidad from the bottom of the sailboat 3 times, and Micron once, I can tell you it is not something I look forward to.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom