Old 12-01-2018, 01:31 PM   #8
firstbase
Guru

City: Jupiter, Florida
Vessel Name: Black Eyed Susan
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landfall View Post
I enjoy countless hours on a new boat following wires, hoses, pipes and peeking in openings. Find out what hooks to what and why. label what is not, find problems before they find themselves, remove leftover superfluous stuff left over from past repairs or refits. You cannot be too familiar with how the boat works when something breaks.
Wish I had read Landfalls comments before we picked up our boat. I have searched many wires...failed to label or write down anything. It goes away quick. Now I get to do it all over again. Someone else said to "Go slow to go fast". Wish I had done that for the same reason. I learned a little about everything fast but not really in depth so...I get to go do it all over again..again.

One other thing I learned was it is great to go into every nook and cranny of the boat. On our GB42 there are more of those than you think possible. We were finding them months after we got it. Clean them out but be careful of what you throw away. My experience is that something is on a boat because it is needed, or may be needed, for something no matter what it looks like. Good example is a 6" or so piece of odd shaped PVC pipe. Looked like trash. Found out it is a tool to remove or tighten the galley sink faucet from below. Not having it makes the job very difficult. An odd sized pencil zinc that doesn't seem to fit the engines may be a replacement for the one you didn't notice on the oil cooler. Stuff like that. We had a bunch of those.
firstbase is offline   Reply With Quote