washer dryer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jkxtreme

We are looking to install a washer and dryer aboard our boat. We live on the boat full time and are just tired of laundromats. Unfortunately the location in the boat that is already setup for a washer/dryer combo is pretty much inaccessible due to the extremely narrow hallway leading to the stateroom where the space is located. We can't use the over/under units so we are limited to the combo units. I am not reading great reviews about the combos. Apparently they are good at washing but not so good at drying your clothes. Does anyone have experience with the combos or any advice based upon the washer and dryer you are using.

Welcome aboard. We have had 3 Splendide combo units in various boats and an RV. The vented model is very good IF you use it properly. The household dryers have a drum that is about 2 times as big as the washer drum. The combo uses the same drum obviously so it is the same size as the washer drum. If you fill the drum full for the wash, it will never dry because there is no room for air to circulate through the clothes. If you load it properly, per the directions, it will wash and dry in about 3 hours. Sure it will not be as large a load as a household machine, but you don’t have to lug the clothes up and down the dock to say nothing about sitting around in the laundramat waiting on them to wash and dry. Also, you don’t know what was washed in the laundromat machines before you... We think the downsides are certainly worth not having to do the laundry off the boat.

Everything Como says and the Splendide have an excellent reputation. However, there are several regular manufacturers now making combo units and many of those are faster and higher volume than the Splendide.

I've got a Spendide vented unit. It washes and dries very well, albeit the drying time is 90 minutes or more.

Welcome. Do a search of the forum and you will find lots of info.....

On our second Spendide on Blue Sky. The first one died after about 15 years, and even then it was still washing clothes fine, but the dryer gave up. Ours is vented, and takes three hours or so to dry. The good feature of the combo is that once you push the start button you can forget it until it's done. The key is to only fill it to 3/4 full.

I had a combo unit for years and it is not really supposed to dry. It just spins as much water out of the clothes as possible so when you hang them on a rack they dry quickly. This it did rather mediocre.

Then we bought a separate dryer unit but it was the condenser (unvented) type. It pulled a bit more water out of the clothes but since it does not provide heat, it too was only slightly less mediocre.

I would never buy another of either type. A suggestion would be to spend your money on a high quality A+++ rated digital inverter washer. Not only save you water but you can run them off a 600 watt inverter. With excellent spin performance you'll still need to hang your clothes, but for less time.

You also may be able to get creative to figure out how to reach the original spot for your washer dryer, or check the European websites for washer and dryers that are narrower. European units are typically 600mm wide (2 ft) but you may be able to find a tiny 18" unit also. Them Europeans are tight on space over there!

I had a combo unit for years and it is not really supposed to dry. It just spins as much water out of the clothes as possible so when you hang them on a rack they dry quickly. This it did rather mediocre.

Then we bought a separate dryer unit but it was the condenser (unvented) type. It pulled a bit more water out of the clothes but since it does not provide heat, it too was only slightly less mediocre.

I would never buy another of either type. A suggestion would be to spend your money on a high quality A+++ rated digital inverter washer. Not only save you water but you can run them off a 600 watt inverter. With excellent spin performance you'll still need to hang your clothes, but for less time.

You also may be able to get creative to figure out how to reach the original spot for your washer dryer, or check the European websites for washer and dryers that are narrower. European units are typically 600mm wide (2 ft) but you may be able to find a tiny 18" unit also. Them Europeans are tight on space over there!

I don’t know how you used yours, but ours would dry the clothes completely, it would take more time than a home unit, but they would dry completely since ours were vented combos.

Yes I agree vented combos would be better. Mine were always unvented. Vented units are rare to find over here

Last edited:
Very happy with my vented Splendide. You need to develop the discipline of doing laundry as soon as you have enough for a normal load. Better to do 2 small loads than one over size.

Ted

Very happy with my vented Splendide. You need to develop the discipline of doing laundry as soon as you have enough for a normal load. Better to do 2 small loads than one over size.

Ted

It's actually better to do that at home on your full size equipment too. Better for the equipment, better for the clothes, and time effective. Not as negative cost wise either as people might think.

How much water on average do the combo units use? Does the grey water go overboard or is it plumbed into your holding tank?

You have to read the specs - everything is online. But I highly recommend that you spend the extra money for an A+++ instead of an A++ as I recall a difference in energy and water consumption

How much water on average do the combo units use? Does the grey water go overboard or is it plumbed into your holding tank?

We have the Spendide vented unit and the specs. say 7.5 to 16 gallons/hr. The cycle Lena uses takes ~12 gallons.

The gray water goes over the side.

I have had my Splendide combo on my boat for 15 years. The drying is indeed slow, but use small loads more often and you can walk away and return and the load is washed and dried. Its about the only alternative. Why they cost so much, I don't know, but I would not be without mine.

I have one with little of no usage that came on my GB42 I will sell.
I never used it so can't actually answer your question on performance.
If you get good feed back then maybe my unit would work for you.

I'm another Splendide happy customer. Love it. Just put the clothes in, push the button and they come out dry in about 3 hours. Super easy and if I had to go to laundromat, I'd never wash my clothes.

I have one with little of no usage that came on my GB42 I will sell.
I never used it so can't actually answer your question on performance.
If you get good feed back then maybe my unit would work for you.
If Aqualund wants to sell his washing machine please contact me, in NJ at 732-233-2928 Jim

Amapola came with an apartment sized washer & dryer. It took forever to dry the clothes and used a lot of power so we took it out. I use the washer and hang the clothes out to dry on lines my husband puts up for me. They dry quickly in the sun and breeze. We may look like the Beverly Hillbillies for a few hours but who cares! We're usually in a quiet anchorage.

I will have a household top load Whirlpool washer aboard. I just don't have a good automatic operator. Automatic solar clothes dryers are underrated. People consider them outdated. I consider them stylish classics.

1950s-smiling-woman-housewife-hanging-wash-on-clothesline-to-dry-aakrbt.jpg

We have an LG combo, ventless, and it works great! We found that the settings of 'less dry', 'more dry' were really 'damp' and 'less damp'. But if we put the dryer on a timed setting the clothes come out completely toasty dry in 2 hours. They are as hot and dry as they come out of any dryer.

The biggest thing I would mention is that the LG is actually LARGER than it is listed by almost 2 inches. This is on the front to back measurement. I got supply hoses with a 45 and it still just fits.

Ours goes straight overboard. We have always used the planet detergent that is supposed to be natural etc.

No idea about water usage. We only use it at the dock.

It is a HUGE plus to have for us. We do a load practically every other day. As someone already said, about a half load in the washer means it will dry just fine.

We got ours almost new off CL for $500. The people had a baby and 'the help' had to get all the laundry done in a hurry so they got rid of it. We found several decent ones that were barely used.

What does it take to install a vent? How do you keep water and bugs out?

I think the real criteria is “what fits”. It usually begins and ends there.

But if you have a choice

-unvented is better than a laundromat.

- vented is better than unvented

- apartment size separate units are better than a combo unit.

- full size units are better than apartment sized units.

I ran an aluminum vent hose to the side of the boat well above the waterline. I put a stainless steel clamshell vent over it facing down and aft. That kept the water spray out. Never had a problem with bugs in it, maybe because we used it frequently.

We’ve never had any bugs and as far as water goes, not a worry here. :). Hobo was designed and came with a washer/dryer.

Attachments

• 43D71725-949B-41D2-97CB-D5E68BCC0985.jpg
    43D71725-949B-41D2-97CB-D5E68BCC0985.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 119
  • BDB42E3D-5DE7-42F7-A16C-57349E9FAFD7.jpg
    BDB42E3D-5DE7-42F7-A16C-57349E9FAFD7.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 119
Thanks, Larry and Dave

My boat has a Nova 2000 Superwash machine and I too dry my clothes in the sun but try to be inconspicuous. The machine uses the minimum of 250W power and washes super clean in 5minutes but has no dryer at all, so I let it drip dry outside.

The Splendide works great for small loads and just so so stuffed full. With house machines I read that the dryer is twice as big as the washer so it has more room to allow the clothes to tumble which, aids the drying process. The All-In-One machines have to use the same unit for both so the drying will take probably twice as long. But I love mine and use it frequently during boating season. I really like not having to transfer the clothes from the washer to the dryer. And usually you never get to the wash right as it finishes so the clothes sit there wet until you get a chance to move then to the dryer. As with everything there are compromises.

These portable Della washing machines have been getting good reviews from the off road RV crowd and the full timers. I thought I may give one a try on my next boat. It could be mounted on the rear deck and kept covered. They seem to require very little power and water, but are only good for a few articles of clothing. Good for a single or couple just needing a few things washed. A couple washes every other day would keep our clothes washing caught up. They reportedly spin dry really well.

https://www.amazon.com/Compact-Port...accdcaec4db8a43e028145cd9689d2&language=en_US

Back
Top Bottom