Off topic - Does anyone here smoke a pipe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

7tiger7

Yes, it's off topic - but I just love smoking my pipe when aboard my boat... anyone else here smoke a tobaco pipe?

No gave up smoking many years ago as it is exteremely bad for one's health and it makes your boat stink and yellows the deck lining.
Other than that go for it.

I can understand your enjoyment although I've never smoked.* But I will say one thing...there are more and more people that are so offended by it, at a crowded marina and they are down wind you are going to be asked not to.

While the smell of it doesn't bother me...actually I find a good tobacco pleasant...as long as the smoke isn't thick I couldn't care but some will make a HUGE issue of it.

psneeld wrote:but some will make a HUGE issue of it.
*What I find annoying is the ones who bitch the most smoke cigarettes like there is no tomorrow then bitch about a cigar or pipe.

7tiger7,

I smoked a pipe for quite awhile and need to tell you that it is even more addictive than cigarettes. That said ......smoking on your boat?.....it's your boat but be aware that THE MOST IMPORTANT THING YOU EVER DO IS CHOOSE THE PEOPLE YOU ASSOCIATE WITH and what you do could be choosing your friends as much as you yourself. Depending on how much you smoke you may be surrounded by smokers and smokers may not be what you want for friends. I was a smoker when I was a single man and I became aware that there were many women that I wanted to date but could'nt get to first base with them as if they were lesbians. So choose your friends, associates, mates and all the other people you associate w carefully and wisely. Do not be afraid to reject those that wo'nt be good for you. But do'nt "get religion" because you like the girls in church.*

Eric

I remember when I was a kid and my Uncle would visit with a pipe ready to light. My Mom would say " Now Roy, don't you light that thing in here " ( non-smoking household ) so Uncle Roy would wait until he was ready to go our the door, and then the puff's would start. My Father would laugh and my Mother would get mad and I would say hmmm what a nice smell. I determined that when I got old enough looking so that smoking a pipe would not look out of place, I would do the same.*

Hmmm about 10yrs ago I was sizing up getting one and my wife and daughter came on glued. I didn't end up getting one but it was only two days ago I was telling my buddy that pipe story. *

I still love the smell on occassion especially out in the country but have determined to not buy one because of the health issue and the people around me not liking it.

Elwin*

I'm very surprised by the replies...
I'm 35, and started smoking a pipe about 5 years ago... I don't smoke it often, maybe 1 pipe a day for a few weeks, then I forget about it for a few months, then come back to it.
Every time I've ever smoked on the boat, everyone aboard loves the smell, and asks to let them take a few puffs, as well (girls and guys). But most of my friends aboard are Russian or from Eastern Europe, and are not uptight about (gasp!) inhaling a few puffs of tobacco smoke (first hand or otherwise). Some would argue that this hobby of boating which brings us together is high-risk as well (just being on a boat carries risk - on a sunny day at the dock you could slip and fall overboard, hit your head, and drown), but we still do it. Yes, smoking a pipe may bring some potential health risks - but I'm willing to take the risk (which is what I say every day when I leave the house to drive in Boston! haha...)
;)

I've smoked cigars for years and have contemplated switching or going with a pipe part time. It's a relaxation item for me. I enjoy sitting with a drink and a cigar and watching the world go by.

I have noticed that one has to pick when to smoke due to the militant attitude of non smokers. Some of whom think nothing of letting their engine smoke drift into your boat while they warm it up for 15 minutes is no problem, but if they can see your tobacco smoke you're a sinner. Smokers need to be polite and try not to offend as well as others who do things which can be offensive.

I don't worry about the health hazards. I crawled into and on top of burning buildings, into crashed vehicles and for the last 10 years of my 31 year career ran the HazMat team. If there was an unknown or known hazardous incident, we went and took care of it. If I haven't already absorbed, inhaled or ingested a lethal dose of something by now, some pipe or cigar smoke isn't going to kill me. I enjoy every day as it comes. If the days stop coming tomorrow that's ok, I've lived my life and enjoyed it the best way I knew how. Part of that is smoking.

2bucks wrote:I don't worry about the health hazards.
There is only one sure, absolute, no questions about it, guaranteed health hazard.* And that is age.

I quit smoking in 1975. Now I can't stand the smell and it bothers my eyes. I am glad smoking is no longer allowed in resturants around here.

I did smoke a pipe until the "pleasure police" demanded we take it outside. You can't*smoke a pipe like a cigarette standing outside on the sidewalk, it's just not enjoyable...

LC, they don't let me make love to the dear wife in a restaurant or the public area of any building either. I just find a suitable place for whoopie and for smoking.

I have a great time at parties every so often by finding a quiet spot in the yard away from others and lighting up. Pretty soon someone else comes over for a smoke, then another and another. Pretty soon even non-smokers are coming over to "see what's happening" over here. Only the smokers, or those tolerant of the smoke are there and so no conflict. Twice I've done this and eventually had a member of the smoke police start waving their hand and pissing their pants about "all the smoke". We point out to them that they came to the smokers section, the smoke didn't go to them. Just because a non-smoker is in an area doesn't make it a non-smoking area.

Is it intolerant to not want non-smokers around when I'm enjoying a cigar? Or is it intolerant to come to the smokers area and bitch about the smoke? Courtesy works both ways.

"Is it intolerant to not want non-smokers around when I'm enjoying a cigar? Or is it intolerant to come to the smokers area and bitch about the smoke? Courtesy works both ways. "

Agreed.

You guys are just trying to justify your undesirable habit. It stinks. No doubt about it. If you insist on stinking among your friends I propose that your number of friends will diminish. It's not that you smokers are undesirable .......it's that the smoke is undesirable ......it stinks. And for everyone that you refer as smoking police (those that complain) there are 10 to 20 people that also think it stinks but do'nt say anything about it. I smoked for 40 yrs so I'm not ignorant about this habit but it is rude to force something on people that they do'nt like. There are very few (very very few) people that are'nt smokers that think the smell of cigarettes is nice. So if you really want to be kind, thoughtful and considerate of others you would'nt smoke anywhere near them. The habit is so strong you just ca'nt wait to smoke in private so you say "screw'em" and light up. Not nice guys.

Eric

I smoke. and always outside. I just don't do it around those who don't.

Not a problem as far as I can tell.

SD

How true Dude. In the old days I always smoked with the cigarette right by the open "wing window" on the old cars w the*fan on. But that was the old days. In the 90s I just parked the car and smoked in a parking lot ect. Never smoked in my house or car after the late 70s ect. And I know what it's like to be put down by non-smokers. Just about as many rude non-smokers as smokers. And I REALLY did enjoy smoking. Quitting was the hardest thing I ever did. Just after I quit I found out I've got a little emphysema too. Ca'nt give speeches anymore ....run out of oxygen.

Eric

I used to smoke back in my younger years for about 5 years- glad I quit. But, the smell of a nice pipe is pleasant- much more so than stinky cigars! :)

It's your boat- enjoy it as you see fit. Not sure why everyone needs to be explaining the evils of smoking- pretty sure we all know that. So far this week I have concluded: A) Don't smoke, not even a pipe. B) Don't buy a bayliner. *

biggrin.gif
smile.gif
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
biggrin.gif

-- Edited by Woodsong on Monday 16th of January 2012 02:43:23 PM

nomadwilly wrote:
*It's not that you smokers are undesirable .......it's that the smoke is undesirable ......it stinks. And for everyone that you refer as smoking police (those that complain) there are 10 to 20 people that also think it stinks but do'nt say anything about it.
I agree with this, Eric.* Unlike pipe smoke, which I think usually has a nice smell, and cigar smoke, which can have a rather nice smell, too, if it's not too much in my face, cigarette smoke has a really annoying smell (to me) even in tiny doses.

Ken mentioned the uancceptibility of not making love to one's partner in public.* And that's just a bad sight picture.* So if something is considered unpleasant or unacceptable simpy to see, why should offending others' sense of smell be any different?

I don't judge--- at least not consciously--- a person by their smoking or non-smoking habits.* If a person wants to smoke, that's their business.

But in the "you can do what you want as long as it doesn't negatively affect others" spirit that governs everything from what color you paint your house to gun ownership, if a person choses to smoke and their smoke bothers someone else, then the smoker should't be smoking in a way that bothers other people.

Europe--- the UK, France, and other countries--- and even China amazingly enough, have moved or are moving to policies that outlaw smoking in public extablishments like pubs, restaurants, trains, public buidings, etc.* And of course the airlines have been this way for ages.

There has been a bill introduced in Washington State to make smoking in a car that contains anyone under the age of 18 a secondary offence.* If you get pulled over for some other infraction and the officer observed you were also smoking with a kid in the car, you are subject to a bigger fine.* Given the way these sorts of thing progress, if it should become law, like the "no talking on cell phone" law in this state, the "no smoking with a kid in the car" will move rapidly from being a secondary offence to being a primary offence.* You can be pulled over and ticketed for smoking in a car with a kid.

One of the popular Seattle afternoon radio shows had a segment last week where this was the topic and they asked listeners to call in with their opinion if this is a good idea or is an example of government intruding too far into people's ideas.

What do you think?

Woodsong wrote:
So far this week I have concluded: A) Don't smoke, not even a pipe. B) Don't buy a bayliner. *
*You should have learned a lot more than that.

C.* Don't buy a single engine boat.

D.* Don't buy a twin engine boat.

E.* Don't use an all-chain rode.

F.* Don't use a combination rode.

G.* Throw your copy of Chapman's in the garbage.* If you don't have a copy, buy one and then throw it in the garbage.

H.* Don't do anything unless Chapman's says it's okay.

I.* Don't vote for anyone running for president.

J.* Vote for everyone running for president.

K.* Global warming is a hoax.

L.* Global warming is going to kill us all next Tuesday.

M. Global warming is man's fault.

N.* Global warming is natural.

O.* Global warming is Eric Henning's and Nomad Willy's fault.

Haven't you been paying attention?

Marin wrote:Woodsong wrote:
So far this week I have concluded: A) Don't smoke, not even a pipe. B) Don't buy a bayliner. *
*You should have learned a lot more than that.

C.* Don't buy a single engine boat.

D.* Don't buy a twin engine boat.

E.* Don't use an all-chain rode.

F.* Don't use a combination rode.

G.* Throw your copy of Chapman's in the garbage.* If you don't have a copy, buy one and then throw it in the garbage.

H.* Don't do anything unless Chapman's says it's okay.

I.* Don't vote for anyone running for president.

J.* Vote for everyone running for president.

K.* Global warming is a hoax.

L.* Global warming is going to kill us all next Tuesday.

M. Global warming is man's fault.

N.* Global warming is natural.

O.* Global warming is Eric Henning's and Nomad Willy's fault.

Haven't you been paying attention?

hahaha! *Too funny Marin- you gave me a good laugh! **

SO FUNNY MARIN!

But OMG article "O" must be some mistake
ashamed.gif

Eric

nomadwilly wrote:
SO FUNNY MARIN!

But OMG article "O" must be some mistake
ashamed.gif

Eric
I think that Marin has been revisiting Catch 22. He's seeing everything twice. But, since Marin, IMHO, has previously been quite knowlegeable on a multitude of topics, he must be correct in this case. QED: Eric, you are doubly responsible. There can be no mistake. Now what are you going to do about remedying the situation?

nomadwilly wrote:
You guys are just trying to justify your undesirable habit. It stinks. No doubt about it. If you insist on stinking among your friends I propose that your number of friends will diminish. It's not that you smokers are undesirable .......it's that the smoke is undesirable ......it stinks. And for everyone that you refer as smoking police (those that complain) there are 10 to 20 people that also think it stinks but do'nt say anything about it. I smoked for 40 yrs so I'm not ignorant about this habit but it is rude to force something on people that they do'nt like. There are very few (very very few) people that are'nt smokers that think the smell of cigarettes is nice. So if you really want to be kind, thoughtful and considerate of others you would'nt smoke anywhere near them. The habit is so strong you just ca'nt wait to smoke in private so you say "screw'em" and light up. Not nice guys.

Eric
*Eric you just convinced me to quit smoking forever. And to become a sailboater. Now, with my new found "religion" let me tell you how rude it is to start your stinky power boat next to me. It I am anywhere in a marina with a powerboat present they MUST refrain from starting the engine anywhere near me, or*where I might possibly smell the odor. In fact all those polluting fueling stations must be removed immediately because those harmful hydrocarbon odors when refueling your stinky smelly boat are known to cause cancer to the state of California.

It's not that you*powerboaters are undesirable .......it's that the smoke is undesirable ......it stinks. And for everyone that you refer as*powerboat police (those sailboaters*that complain) there are 10 to 20 people that also think it stinks but do'nt say anything about it. I*powerboated for 31*yrs so I'm not ignorant about this habit but it is rude to force something on people that they do'nt like. There are very few (very very few) people that are'nt*powerboaters that think the smell of*powerboats or internal combustion engines*is nice. So if you really want to be kind, thoughtful and considerate of others you would'nt*boat anywhere near them. The habit is so strong you just ca'nt wait to*powerboat in private so you say "screw'em" and*start it*up. Not nice guys.

Hmmmmmmm......

Ken

In California......have a power boat...2 yes 2 boats that each have 2 engines......and a 300 CIGAR humidor on the boat....love it all.....and after reading here, Im not voting talking or ever taking the boats out....at least not till its a little warmer

Back
Top Bottom