View Single Post
Old 11-27-2018, 04:10 PM   #17
Ftbinc

City: Chicago
Vessel Name: Oma
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogan\Manatee
Wifey B:
Don't believe every thing you read on the web. Burnam Park is the "Late Leaver" marina this year. They were operational until 11/15/2018. that is subject to change every year, but there is always one open until 11/15 - if take advantage of the last 15 days, we do pay extra for it.

You could be like some late loopers and just dock. There may not be power or water, but it's better than anchoring out.

Also, you are correct - the easiest way through a lock is attached to the tow boat. I worked the Mississippi and Illinois as a deck had a few decades ago. PCs, if they made the request politely, were rarely refused the side of the towboat to make the lock. As a deck hand we caught lines and made them secure. Met a lot of nice people.

[QUOTE=BandB;718102]
Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post

Wifey B: When you lock through with one, you don't keep separated, you tie to the side of the tow. Easiest ride through a lock you can have. However, always at the discretion of the Captain. We did it through one lock on the Illinois but through all of them is unlikely.

Another problem is the shortage of marinas and anchorages to wait things out if there's a major delay at a lock. Perhaps only the first lock where you'd have a delay that could be many days. Then I could see vessels locking through others much in the same order and timing. Can't be a huge group waiting at the 2nd and subsequent because the only ones there are the ones that have come through the first. However, I can picture one huge clusterf... at the Joliet Wall. I think I'd just wait it out in Chicago until given some indication you'd actually be able to lock. Illinois River locks are 110' x 600' so 1200' barges require two or three lockings. I would think the shippers are going to need to get together to do some amount of scheduling too. I can't see that they can afford to just get all stacked up at the first lock. I'd think the lockmaster is going to have to allocate spaces per day well in advance.

Someone mentioned them finishing early and I see that as possible for one or more locks but unless all of them finish early, it doesn't help you.

I think I'd fly home for a bit then back to the boat mid October and then just enjoy Chicago until the timing improved, likely into mid November.

Ftbinc, you say Burnham is open until Nov 15. Not what their website says. It says Oct 31. All Chicago Harbors now showing Oct 31. Perhaps with enough demand one would stay longer. I see one chance of that as 31st or Montrose as they're still hauling boats out for winter storage in November.

I'm sure by then, the ALGCA will have worked out something with some marina or marinas.

I'm thinking 2021 sounds like a very good year to loop right now.
Ftbinc is offline   Reply With Quote