Temporary relocation away from red tide

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cardude01

Guru
Vessel Name
Bijou
Vessel Make
2008 Island Packet PY/SP
My DW had an idea this AM, but I don’t know if it’s feasible. She wondered if we could move the boat from the Sarasota area, where we’ve been enveloped in red tide for months now. She asked about moving it to the Keys (or Miami area?), getting a slip for a month or so, and then when the kids get off college for Xmas break shoot over to Bimini.

My questions are, can I get a slip for a month or so in those locations at a “reasonable” rate? I don’t want to give up my slip I currently have and it’s about $600 a month. Are there even marinas along the Atlantic side of the Keys? I’ve only stayed in Key West marinas.

We would have about 2 weeks worth of time with the kids to get across to Bimini. I’ve never crossed in the winter and know we would have to wait on cold fronts, so is two weeks enough time?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Thanks! I will give them a call.

General questions:

Is it safe to leave a boat on a mooring there and go back to Texas for a week or so, or do you pretty much have to be on the boat all the time?

I’ve never left a boat on a mooring unattended for more than a few days so I just don’t know how that works. Do folks on moorings look out for other boats if they take on water for example?

Edit: I see the Boot Key mooring says “full time liveaboards only— no wet storage”. So they don’t want you leaving the boat unattended it appears.

Last edited:
I guess that would be another question you could ask them, may be they wouldn't mind a week if you explain the circumstances , but don't want people leaving the boats there for months at a time. I have a friend who lives on his boat there may be he could keep an eye on it for you, It cant hurt to ask him.

Excellent. Thanks again

And I understand them not wanting people just dropping off boats and leaving them unattended. It would soon become a boat graveyard I suppose.

Seven Mile Bridge

How tall is your mast? Seven mile bridge is ~65'. but check your charts and make sure.

I only have a 40’ mini-mast.

from

We went under it with a 57' from the waterline. We puckered for a few seconds.

Plenty of marinas on the eastern side of Key West. Marathon among the most reasonable and best but all the way up the coast. It is peak season so knowing whether any would meet your definition of "reasonable" is something I can't speak to. I might edge it up the coast, cost a bit more, but by the time I was ready to go to Bimini, I'd have the boat in Miami and an easy and short trip across. That would be my goal. Then you're an easy day from Bimini. Might be well worth the extra cost on the short stay.

Can you recommend any Miami marinas? I suppose I will have to give up on the “reasonable” part but I guess that’s OK for just a month or so.

Can you recommend any Miami marinas? I suppose I will have to give up on the “reasonable” part but I guess that’s OK for just a month or so.

We're in Fort Lauderdale and don't use marinas even there so don't have a specific recommendation. I'd just open up Active Captain and start making some phone calls from it, from Homestead or even Key Largo north to North Miami. You can then compare both availability and pricing as you move closer to the resort area. I expect you'll see monthly rates ranging from $15 per foot to $40 per foot but talking to them is always helpful. Most daily rates are $2 to $3 but some do have weekly rates.

Anyone been through the “Vaca Cut”? Wondering if it’s easy or sketchy.

Looking at a slip in this little Coral Lagoon Marina on Marathon Key.

IMG_4429.jpgIMG_4430.jpg
IMG_4431.JPG
IMG_4432.jpg

Last edited:
If you are a member of a Yacht Club you could try the Yacht Clubs scattered through the Keys or Biscayne Bay in Miami. Some will even take transients without a Yacht Club affiliation.

These are typically very safe, often behind locked gates, usually with on site Dockmasters, typically plenty of members around keeping an eye on things.

You have e-mail

:socool:

Anyone been through the “Vaca Cut”? Wondering if it’s easy or sketchy.

Looking at a slip in this little Coral Lagoon Marina on Marathon Key.

I stayed at a resort in Key Colony Beach and watched lots of biggish boats come in through that cut. But the water to the east which you would have to traverse to get to that little marina looks skinny. I don't see any big boats tied up in the Google satellite image to the east of the cut.

David

Yeah I just got off the phone with a local SeaTow captain and he said that cut is problematic even for powerboats because it’s so narrow and because of the extreme current. Plus he didn’t think it had 4’ anymore.

So I will cross that little marina off the list. No wonder it was relatively cheap at $650 including utilities.

I’m open to other Keys ideas. I can’t do the Boot Key moorings (if I could get one) because I leave the boat and go back to Texas, and they don’t want unattended boats from what I understand.

We sometimes go and spen afew days at Faro Blanco. Great marina, great restaurant and good people. Not sure if they have monthly rates.

We sometimes go and spen afew days at Faro Blanco. Great marina, great restaurant and good people. Not sure if they have monthly rates.

Wifey B: Love Faro Blanco. They also rent a lot of toys like paddleboards and kayaks and Hobie Cats and things. :D

Wifey B. It’s one of our favorite places for a few days that is close to our dock when we don’t want to anchor.

Dinner Key Marina has a mooring field that although only marginally protected from wind and waves, is relatively economical (compared to a slip at DKM).

We left ours there for a month, a couple of years ago.

Near Watson Park between the MacArthur and Venetian Causways has a large mooring area, some anchor there and I’m not sure there is a fee.

How long is your boat?

41’, 4’ draft.

About moorings, can you leave the boat for a few days, weeks on a mooring unattended? That seems like possible trouble but maybe not.

As far as I know many boat are anchored there for months at a time. Not sure how safe it is though.

If your boat was a little shorter I could put you at my dock behind my boat but 41’ just won’t fit. Sorry

Dang it! Maybe I can saw my bow pulpit off. [emoji30]

I think it would need more than just the pulpit. LOL

How long are you contemplating? Since you have a mast here is your best option.
https://www.cgsc.org/moorings/
If full, there are also anchoring options nearby at the marine stadium, no name, Nixon beach and south of the rickenbacker.

Have you tried Craig’s list? We found a dock for two months. We posted a looking for ad. You do need to bump the ad to keep it fresh.

Back
Top Bottom