Damage from fouled prop?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andiamo2018

Vessel Name
Andiamo
Vessel Make
Kha Shing Sundeck 40
I'll skip how it was totally not my fault that an anchor line got wrapped around my prop...but it happened :banghead:

The engine stopped and we limped home on one engine. This afternoon I dove on it and got the line off. It was pretty tight behind the prop but I finally got it out. Holding my breath I couldn't really tell if anything was loose.

Now there is a clunk going into reverse. Still in the only open slip I could get into with one engine and 15 kt cross wind. At 1000rpm in forward the dock looked like it would break free but everything was smooth running. Going into reverse though there is that clunk. And it seems like the engine jerks a bit but that might have always happened. The clunk though is absolutely new.

Here are the deets: ZF 63a trans on a Volvo TAMD40. 1 inch anchor line and it was tight between the prop and strut.

I'm guessing that the prop got pulled away from the trans? So in forward it feels fine but there is something now loose that allows space to create the clunk in reverse.

What are your thoughts? It seems (I hope) safe enough to use a bit for maneuvering and then to get to the boat yard.

Anything I should check? I can go back in this weekend (a retired hull cleaner gave me his old super thick wet suit) but I'd like to have an idea what to look for.

I'd look for any engine/shaft movement while someone is shifting. Check engine mounts and strut backing plates/nuts. If everything looks fine in the boat, check your underwater gear.

Thanks for some clear and straightforward advice. It would have taken me another day or two of worry before I started being methodical :)

So - Everything looks good and there is no vibration an either direction. BUT, there is that clunk now and it sounds pretty rattly kind of where the trans bolts to the engine. It's a hydraulic transmission so that is the only mechanical place. Though I suppose there might be some bands or something. I'll make a new post specific to the ZF transmission if I can't find an existing one. On the plus side there is no hesitation and the boats feels fine. But that sound...

There is a plate inside there with springs in it that absorb the shock when the transmission is engaged. They my have been damaged and are rattling around in there.

That doesn't sound so bad! I'll search around for a schematic. It doesn't seem too terrible to get the transmission out and hopefully...I'll do some research before I start making plans lol. But it sounds like those springs would be a lot less expensive than something way inside.

And thanks for the info!

]https://www.foleyengines.com/tech-tip-104-zfhurth-and-borgwarner-damper-plates-shake-rattle-and-roll/[/URL][/QUOTE]

Andiamo,

Please check very carefully before dealing with this company. Unless they have changed they were very "difficult" to deal with several years ago. Get everything in writing first and pay with a credit card. Check current online reviews.

I hope they have changed for the better.

Rob

Whoa! They do NOT have a good reputation! It sounds like there are some good local places to check after the holiday. Thanks for the heads up!

You replace the entire dampener, not just the springs.

I realized what it was once I started looking around :) Now I remember that I forgot that before.

Do you know this trans? The ZF? Do you think there might be other damage somewhere? And will it cause damage to use it as is? I did run it and use it getting back into our slip but that was just a few hundred yards. I'm hoping I just need to be really careful to be all the way throttled down (not a tick above idle like I usually do) to shift. I'm also hoping I can just slide the trans aft to get access and then just slide it back. There are a few inches before the prop will hit the rudder.

And thanks all for the help and info! It is great to have folks to bounce these things off.

Whoa! They do NOT have a good reputation! It sounds like there are some good local places to check after the holiday. Thanks for the heads up!

Glad you checked, bummed they have not improved.

Rob

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom