View Single Post
Old 11-24-2018, 09:55 AM   #1
AZ2Loop

City: Carefree, AZ and Ft. Myers Beach, FL
Vessel Name: Sea-N-Stars
Vessel Model: 1990 49' Albin
Should we remove this, or how to use it?

I wish all boating problems were this simple! We are asking for opinions on this interior feature from those with more trawler life experience.

This shelf unit is on the forward port side of our salon. As you look at this picture the port side door is behind that bar stool. Of course opposite this area of the salon is the lower helm and starboard exit door well out of frame. We keep the area from door-to-door open (bar stool not usually there). The 3 steps down to galley and dinette are just to the right of this shelf, between the lower helm and this shelf area. Now that you are oriented.... what would you do with it?

It is in such a valuable area being near that port door to the deck, I want the space to be functional. Galley is down so I cannot see using it to store cups/glasses what would appear to be the intent. The lower shelf does not have much of a "fiddle" to it to hold items in place when moving. from the salon you look through this space to the dinette. While we like the open air space between the shelves looking down to dinette from the salon, it is tempting to build a cabinet here that might be more useful.

Being new to this trawler life, and seeing how this shelf/storage unit is in nice condition, I thought I would turn to you guys with more experience. It seems purpose-built -- but for what purpose? Is there a good way to use this as it is, or would you build a cabinet here instead of this shelf unit?
It's "pretty", but is it useful? I hate to tear it out only to later learn it would have been quite useful. Thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
shelf port side 2000.jpg  
AZ2Loop is offline   Reply With Quote