Chain size

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PJHoffnet

Vessel Name
Changes in L'Attitudes
Vessel Make
1999 Maxum 4100 SCA (not a trawler)
Ok, using the theory there are no dumb questions, just dumb people asking questions ... what size is my chain?:confused:
4bI6Rmn.jpg

Recommend to the Chain Supply website where all manners of a plethora of link sizes and dimensions are shown. Even though it appears you've got 1/4" G4 pays to go to the source.

Last edited:
Thanks ... 1/4" G4 was my thought too based on what I could find about measuring 'wire' size of the chain.

Certainly no dumb questions... :thumb:

Take a closer look at your first (left) photo...

It shows the upper link stamped "G4" :whistling:

I don't see how anyone is getting 1/4". To me, the ruler is starting at 1", which makes that chain 5/16". Which would be the right size for a boat of size and weight.

I don't see how anyone is getting 1/4". To me, the ruler is starting at 1", which makes that chain 5/16". Which would be the right size for a boat of size and weight.

Shrew you may well be right or?? That is why a visit to the 1st Chain Supply website is in order. Link dimensions in their entirety are noted so the visibly challenged by the internet have 4 different dimensions noted to pin down the precise link size.

That's 5/16. The calipers are showing 0.350 bar size, way too big for 1/4 and too small for 3/8. 5/16 is nominally 0.312 but most specs show it up to 0.330 or so. Add some zinc and corrosion.

G4 is just the grade, indicating high test G40 spec. G30 not usually marked, G40 and 43 usually marked "G4", G70 usually not used in anchoring systems but normally also marked.

But the tape shows 1/4”. The calipers...I think something may be twisted a bit there.

Using the chart from 1st chain supply I'm going with 5/8" ... but the truth will be in the links per foot (will measure Saturday when I'm on the boat). It's the one measurement where there's really an easy to see difference I think.
As5tC6F.jpg

Based on this chart, the 3/8” chain I bought is actually 7/16”
Hmmm.

To me both the tape and the caliper are out of line enough to make the measurements questionable.

The second photo of the caliper looks like 5/16 based on the contact of the jaws reduced thickness area on the link partly out of sight.

Is that chart for G40/43 chain? If the chart is for another type of chain then the chart is not applicable.

Last edited:
Is that chart for G40/43 chain? If the chart is for another type of chain then the chart is not applicable.

The chart is for G4 chain - which is what I have. Here is the source on 1st Chain.

My best guess is still G4 5/16. Trying to find a break to run out to the boat to do the links/foot - that will be the real teller I think since the values are so different.

Last edited:
And, remember, that almost all windlesses take ISO (or short link) chain, no matter what the size.

Flip the caliper over and measure the ID and subtract that from the OD then divide by 2. Or measure one foot of length and count the links. Also use the caliper to sample along the chain for stretch or wear. Anything more than 10% get a new chain.

I'm gonna go with 5/16 G4 ... finally remembered to take a 1 foot pic yesterday. Pretty close to 11.7 links/foot ... certainly not 14.2 or 9.8.
sZCk4Ds.jpg

Last edited:
Please could someone post the Chain Supply website url. Tried Googling it but I just get thousands of hits about business chain supplies! Hopefully, they have a metric table as well for us poor Europeans!

Gilbert

The other thing to check is to simply look at the Gypsy. The chain size should be stamped right on it. On Lewmar gypsy's you should see it on the chain/line side. Some, you need to remove and read from the bottom.

The PO of my boat had 3/8" G4 on a 5/16 gypsy. It jammed frequently and beat up the gypsy and the chain. It may be safer to go with what the gypsy specifically says, or replace the gypsy and chain together.

The other thing to check is to simply look at the Gypsy. The chain size should be stamped right on it. On Lewmar gypsy's you should see it on the chain/line side. Some, you need to remove and read from the bottom.

The PO of my boat had 3/8" G4 on a 5/16 gypsy. It jammed frequently and beat up the gypsy and the chain. It may be safer to go with what the gypsy specifically says, or replace the gypsy and chain together.

Yep, sometimes it's hard to find, covered over in mud or gunk, or stamped very small, but it's there, somewhere. On Maxwell's it's a three digit code, then you just look it up.

Thanks, I've heard this advice also ... I have a old Lewmar that I can't even figure out what model it might be, and have never been able to see anything 'stamped' on the visible surfaces. Thanks for mentioning it might be stamped someplace 'unseeable' - I certainly would have never thought of that. I'll take a look from the chain locker next time I'm at the boat.

Thanks, I've heard this advice also ... I have a old Lewmar that I can't even figure out what model it might be, and have never been able to see anything 'stamped' on the visible surfaces. Thanks for mentioning it might be stamped someplace 'unseeable' - I certainly would have never thought of that. I'll take a look from the chain locker next time I'm at the boat.

1) put a line on the anchor to retain it.

2) Pay out some rode

3) lift the chain from teh gypsy

4) Remove top cap

5) Remove the gypsy

6) Look on the bottom of the gypsy. I would assume you would see it there unless the chain is sitting on top of it.

It should only take a few minutes.

Back
Top Bottom