12 volt windlass on a 24 volt boat.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yarradeen

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Yarradeen
Vessel Make
Harriscraft 48
Boaters

I have had a failure of the automatic anchor hauler a couple of days ago. On removal I discovered its a 12 volt rated motor. The boat is 24 volts and output at the relay is 24 volts.

Mark 1 Backup had to be implemented to recover Bruce.

The failure was due to commutator letting loose and destroying the brushes.

My questions.

1. Why would you run a 12 volt winch at 24 volt?

2. Is this the result of this action? Is this common?

3. I order can a 12 or 24 volt motor to replace. Is 1700w 24 volt same power as 1700w 12 volt unit?

4. Do you think the unit is repair able for use as spare?

Thanks in advance for any wisdom imparted.

AV

Attachments

• IMG_3013[1].jpg
    IMG_3013[1].jpg
    143 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_3017[1].jpg
    IMG_3017[1].jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_3014[1].jpg
    IMG_3014[1].jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 60
There have been several threads in other forums recently on various ways of converting or mixing 12V + 24V systems.

A large number of posters claim "no problem" putting 24V into 12V motors.

Personally I would get a replacement designed to output the power you need from the voltage you have.

I think that the application of 24 volts to a 12V motor is part of what caused it to fail. 12V motors have heavier and lower resistance windings than 24V motors. When you put 24V on a 12V motor it draws much more current and that higher current is probably what caused the commutator to fail.

So buy a 24V replacement motor. You could possibly rewind the failed 12V motor with 24V windings and replace the commutator and brushes, but I doubt that that will be cost effective.

Some very light duty 12V motors can run on 24V but not this one.

David

Pretty common in Australian "competitive winching" circles apparently.

Who knew there was such a sport?

update

Replaced with a 24volt 1700w new motor. To my surprise the windlass seams faster then before. But a lot quieter as well. Me thinks the previous unit was not operating correctly.

Less then 1 boat buck. Can complain..

update

Replaced with a 24volt 1700w new motor. To my surprise the windlass seams faster then before. But a lot quieter as well. Me thinks the previous unit was not operating correctly.

Less then 1 boat buck. Can complain..

Yes you can "Can complain" because even 1 boat buck is still a lot of money :)

What total weight of anchor and chain are you pulling?

Was it a Muir windlass? 1K sounds about the money. 1700watts will give the alternator something to think about during retrieve. Mine acquired a 1200 watt 12v motor replacing the 1000watt,the ammeter has never been the same since.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom