Citroen motion sickness glasses

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wkearney99

Guru
Vessel Name
Solstice
Vessel Make
Grand Banks 47 Eastbay FB
This is a clever idea, if a bit hideous looking (but less hideous than being motion sick and throwing up, I suppose!)

Maybe a Harry Potter was throwback

I'll know they truly work when I see the Captain of a 'Deadliest Catch' Bering Sea crab boat demand a sea sick crew member don a pair of those :D

Looks as though you just have to wear them for a short period of time to reorient the brain and then take them off. For 99 Euros that is cheap for someone that suffers badly from motion sickness. Let the knock offs begin.

I might try those things. Preorder is 72 Euros, and if they work I don’t care if I look ridiculous— I generally look pretty ridiculous anyway.

On longer offshore passages I’ve resorted to using the patch so I don’t have to worry if I will get sick or not, and while it works I don’t like the way it makes me feel.

200w.gif

Frankly, I don't believe claims that are made without evidence. The 95% success rate was made by the folks that patented the "boarding glasses" over 10 years ago. I don't think that I've ever seen the actual studies that support it.

They are right in that motion sickness is usually caused (not all the time) by the brains inability to integrate mismatching inputs. Your inner ear is telling you one thing while your visual system is telling you another. There are some folks that will get motion sick simply because of over stimulation of the inner ear.

The idea is that the glasses give you an artificial horizon and thereby the motion you are experiencing is matching your visual experience. All well and good, but if that was 95% effective, then anyone on your boat, car, or plane would simply need to be able to sit on the flybridge or pilothouse to get the visual view of the horizon to be "cured" of motion sickness. Furthermore, the claim is that they only need to do that for 10-15 minutes and then they won't get motion sick.

However, the company has a website and makes nifty YouTube videos, so it HAS to be true. Right?

I wonder if motion sickness is partially psychosomatic, if that’s the right word. Basically, if you THINK you are going to get seasick, you will get seasick.

Any studies on that David?

Frankly, I don't believe claims that are made without evidence. The 95% success rate was made by the folks that patented the "boarding glasses" over 10 years ago. I don't think that I've ever seen the actual studies that support it.

They are right in that motion sickness is usually caused (not all the time) by the brains inability to integrate mismatching inputs. Your inner ear is telling you one thing while your visual system is telling you another. There are some folks that will get motion sick simply because of over stimulation of the inner ear.

The idea is that the glasses give you an artificial horizon and thereby the motion you are experiencing is matching your visual experience. All well and good, but if that was 95% effective, then anyone on your boat, car, or plane would simply need to be able to sit on the flybridge or pilothouse to get the visual view of the horizon to be "cured" of motion sickness. Furthermore, the claim is that they only need to do that for 10-15 minutes and then they won't get motion sick.

However, the company has a website and makes nifty YouTube videos, so it HAS to be true. Right?

With today's social media, if your claims are true it won't take long to see reviews with a low five star rating. In the meantime for those with chronic conditions, it may be worth a shot.

The idea is that the glasses give you an artificial horizon and thereby the motion you are experiencing is matching your visual experience. All well and good, but if that was 95% effective, then anyone on your boat, car, or plane would simply need to be able to sit on the flybridge or pilothouse to get the visual view of the horizon to be "cured" of motion sickness.

AND they'd need to do nothing other than looking out at the horizon. One point of these is to allow doing OTHER activities.

Night time and overcast/fog conditions wouldn't allow for it either. Or being below.

And forum comments likewise?

If they work for folks, great! I've no stake in it, just thought it looks like a clever idea. One that I could see working in the limited number of situations where either myself or others aboard might need to be in situations where going above isn't always an option.

I wonder if motion sickness is partially psychosomatic, if that’s the right word. Basically, if you THINK you are going to get seasick, you will get seasick.

Any studies on that David?

I don't know, it wouldn't surprise me. I think the anxiety of anticipating getting sick could play a role.

The best treatment for prevention that I've seen is visual therapy that improves the ability of the brain to integrate the disparate inputs. The downside to this is that you have to induce the mismatching inputs in a controlled environment to allow the brain to improves its ability to integrate those inputs. In other words, you have to practice getting motion sick in small steps repeatedly until your brain can learn it. This process might be worth it if motion sickness is really debilitation for general life activities. Otherwise, not so much...

Ahh, I’ve heard that’s what most long time cruisers do. Keep getting seasick until they don’t. I’ve never been able to be seasick over multiple days because I’m driving the boat, but maybe if my wife and I ever cruise over a long period I can try that. She never gets seasick.

AND they'd need to do nothing other than looking out at the horizon. One point of these is to allow doing OTHER activities.

Night time and overcast/fog conditions wouldn't allow for it either. Or being below.

And forum comments likewise?

If they work for folks, great! I've no stake in it, just thought it looks like a clever idea. One that I could see working in the limited number of situations where either myself or others aboard might need to be in situations where going above isn't always an option.

Yeah, I get your point. They aren't expensive and can't be harmful, so no harm in giving them a try. Your point about night time and fog is an excellent one. Would these allow folks who normally are not sick when they have a view of the horizon not get sick in low vis conditions? That could be an advantage for sure.

My own feeling, is that these are simply another in a long line of snake oil gadgets. They may sell a bunch and make some money before they are either shut down or go out of business. We've seen plenty of those in the US over the years. However, I am wrong a lot and if they are effective, it could be a boon to TF members who have guests that get motion sick. So maybe some TF members can buy them and and test them out on motion sick passengers and report back?

I ordered a pair. Will report back, if I ever go anywhere. [emoji30]

I’m supposed to go to the Bahamas April-May so that will be a good test going across.

I ordered a pair. Will report back, if I ever go anywhere. [emoji30]

I’m supposed to go to the Bahamas April-May so that will be a good test going across.

I hope you get lots of chances to get out on the boat, but that the seas are always so flat that you never have the chance to test the glasses. :thumb:

My own feeling, is that these are simply another in a long line of snake oil gadgets. They may sell a bunch and make some money before they are either shut down or go out of business. We've seen plenty of those in the US over the years. However, I am wrong a lot and if they are effective, it could be a boon to TF members who have guests that get motion sick. So maybe some TF members can buy them and and test them out on motion sick passengers and report back?

Could be, but searching online shows the idea came about a while ago and it's not like a car maker (even if they're French) is going to bother making something that's entirely bogus. Although I'm sure there's plenty of nitpicking examples to fault that perspective.

Having had extreme vertigo at one point (idiopathic, they never figured out why) I can better sympathize with how others grapple with balance/motion issues. I'm not one to get seasick but have definitely had a situation or two where being below with no view of the horizon started to become a problem. I can't imagine being sensitive enough to have it be a constant or immediate problem, yikes that'd suck.

Hm... a well functioning binocular person should have no difference in motion sickness with one eye occluded. However, it looks like the inventor has a vertical heterophoria, so it is possible that for him occluding one eye could make a difference.

If you want to try this at home, take some removable cellophane tape and cover the inside of one lens of a pair of sunglasses with it. Scotch brand makes that tape among others. It is designed so that you can use it on paper and remove the tape without ripping the paper. When it is put on a spectacle lens, it makes the lens translucent. You get light, but not detail through it. If that solves your motion sickness, great.

Keep in mind that it also will eliminate any binocularity and reduce overall visual acuity for about 93% of the population.

People have a dominant eye, shutting off one eye may not be noticeable and this is also for people who get seasick, who are also not as likely to need to use both eyes as maybe a captain. But I suppose there have been many successful one eyed sailors using an eye patch through centuries.

I’ve heard that’s why pirate captains wore an eyepatch. It wasn’t because they had one bad eye, it was to help with sea sickness.

Odd how Seetroen,complete with the Chevron insignia, morphs into car brand Citroen, which uses the Citroen insignia on its cars. Is the product really linked to Citroen cars? If not,that`s BS advertising and the product is probably likewise.

Odd how Seetroen,complete with the Chevron insignia, morphs into car brand Citroen, which uses the Citroen insignia on its cars. Is the product really linked to Citroen cars? If not,that`s BS advertising and the product is probably likewise.

It's not "BS", it's "DS". As one who had to ride in the back seat of his lead-footed father's Citroen DS 21 Pallas as a kid, I'm surprised Citroen didn't come out with these sooner...

I think I'd rather be sick.

It's not "BS", it's "DS". As one who had to ride in the back seat of his lead-footed father's Citroen DS 21 Pallas as a kid, I'm surprised Citroen didn't come out with these sooner...
It may not be, but "Seetroen" morphing into Citroen looks like a non genuine product knockoff to me, and I`m a happy serial owner of another brand from within the PSA stable.

Why not use "Citroen" from the get go, if it is a genuine Citroen/PSA product?

I get the artificial horizon theory but what about the sloshing back and forth from motion? No thanks.

Been sea-sick several times on small boats (like 30-foot sailboats) when I was young, but have never been sick on cruise ships even when transiting hurricanes with fifty-foot waves. Meanwhile, many crew and passengers were sick during the hurricanes, but some passengers were sick even in near-calm situations!

My wife would have gladly worn those last night. We anchored in some awful conditions (I’m still learning). She was down for the count until she demanded a Rum and coke out of desperation. She immediately cane back to life and we had a great time!

Don’t buy glasses, just drink rum.

It's one thing to look at the horizon and overcome sea sickness. However, things like looking at screens and reading books can also exacerbate motion sickness because the motion of the reading material held in your hands does not match the cues you are feeling in your inner ear. Not sure how these glasses would help in the situation of someone reading something while in a moving vehicle.

It's one thing to look at the horizon and overcome sea sickness. However, things like looking at screens and reading books can also exacerbate motion sickness because the motion of the reading material held in your hands does not match the cues you are feeling in your inner ear. Not sure how these glasses would help in the situation of someone reading something while in a moving vehicle.

:thumb: We’ve had guests on board a few times that were starting to look a little green. Occasionally one would say, “I think I’ll go down and read for awhile”. :nonono: :nonono:

They are legitimately from Citroen.

Haven't seen any actual tests on them but I've seen trial results on a specific brand of Stabilizers and their impact on seasickness and it's amazing.

Back
Top Bottom