stopping rust

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

timb

Guru
Vessel Name
true heading
Vessel Make
marine trader 38 dc
I sure someone here has had the same problem . last year I had a raw water pump cover leak . I washed the area with 409 ,
since I have noticed a lot of rust on that motor mount .is there any product that will stop it with out painting with por . I don't know if I may need to adjust later .

also I have rust on the bottom of my exhaust manifold any tips on stopping that also .

I sure someone here has had the same problem . last year I had a raw water pump cover leak . I washed the area with 409 ,
since I have noticed a lot of rust on that motor mount .is there any product that will stop it with out painting with por . I don't know if I may need to adjust later .

also I have rust on the bottom of my exhaust manifold any tips on stopping that also .

Ospho, primer, paint on the pump.

Ospho then heat paint on the manifold.

Hollywood

Greetings,
Mr. t. For your motor mount or small bits in general... What I have done and will continue to do is clean off the existing rust (a small, brass wire brush will do) and apply a very light coat of corrosion protector. I think, I'm currently using this: https://www.nocorrosion.com/ although I have used light oils, in the past. I tend to apply the stuff with a small brush, in most cases, in that it minimizes overspray and uncoated areas. Careful getting too much on the rubber motor in the mount.

You might try using WD-40 as a cleaning solvent in lieu of 409 on occasion.

Just re-read your post and failed to address your manifold rust. Mr. H's suggestion is a good one.

Last edited:
Tim, I had the same issue, except a hose leak and everything started showing rust. I first used a wire brush, the applied Rust-Oleum Rust Reformer, then painted on top of that.

Attachments

• 215215_1008_SRT_10-25oz_RustReformer_480x480.png
    215215_1008_SRT_10-25oz_RustReformer_480x480.png
    41.4 KB · Views: 62
Le Tonkinoise Marine No.1

Any kind of paint will gum up the threads. If you need to use it on threads you may have to turn later, I strongly suggest Mercury's Corrosion Guard.

Ken

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom