Blue Seas MFG factory fire

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

boomerang

Guru
Vessel Name
Wandering Star
Vessel Make
PSN40
I noticed I was having a hard time reaching technical support yesterday and when I finally got through, a guy from another division was fielding the calls because he said the factory burned. Well that sux...I rely on their products quite a bit! Hopefully it won't be long before they're up & running again.

https://www.bellinghamherald.com/news/local/article221529470.html

Was this their manufacturing base?
I would have expected the Blue Seas factories to be Asian based with just distribution centres in the USA.

On their website they say:

Blue Sea Systems is experiencing operational difficulties in our Bellingham location. We thank you for your patience while our team restores the facility to full capacity.

Many of us have discovered that if you let the smoke out you 'experience operational difficulties'!
:hide:

Glad I got most of my electrical work done last winter.

I hope their office had off site backup for critical files. That roof looks to be totally collapsed.

Was this their manufacturing base?
I would have expected the Blue Seas factories to be Asian based with just distribution centres in the USA.

Could be. I just installed a M Series Battery switch. The label says designed in Bellingham and assembled in Mexico, doesn’t say where the parts came from.

I wouldn't be surprised if most manufacturing is done all over the world based on price and quality with their engineering, limited production and warehousing in Bellingham.

Last edited:
They moved most of the manufacturing to Mexico a while back.

BandB there was a fire. Lost most of their building. Firefighters and firewall saved part of the offices. Everything else in the Bellingham facility was lost.

BandB there was a fire. Lost most of their building. Firefighters and firewall saved part of the offices. Everything else in the Bellingham facility was lost.

I know there was a fire. I was using their terminology for it. They used the term "operational difficulties" on their website. I was making fun of that which I still think is crazy that they didn't call it what it was.

I know there was a fire. I was using their terminology for it. They used the term "operational difficulties" on their website. I was making fun of that which I still think is crazy that they didn't call it what it was.

OK I get it now. Had not checked the web site so I missed the sarcasm. My bad.

LOL...fessing up to a fire at a company that manufacturers/distributes electrical components would be a bold move....:)

LOL...fessing up to a fire at a company that manufacturers/distributes electrical components would be a bold move....:)

Know you’re just having fun with this, but I had just the opposite reaction. Not fessing up to easily proven reality affects an organization’s credibility and trustworthiness to a sizable portion of the public. It’s so much better to get in front of a negative story by acknowledging the problems and how you’re going to prevent the next one. Circling the wagons by minimizing or misdirection is often a prelude to a business failure or management change.

Know you’re just having fun with this, but I had just the opposite reaction. Not fessing up to easily proven reality affects an organization’s credibility and trustworthiness to a sizable portion of the public. It’s so much better to get in front of a negative story by acknowledging the problems and how you’re going to prevent the next one. Circling the wagons by minimizing or misdirection is often a prelude to a business failure or management change.

Transparency always wins in my view. The world knows and then they're wondering what you're hiding. How can they trust what you say about inventory and shipping? I've encountered a warehouse fire early in my manufacturing career. We notified every customer, told them what we were doing, when we'd be shipping again, and when they could expect their orders (6 weeks of no shipping, remake of many goods). We also said we'd understand if any cancelled orders. We got zero cancellations and many commendations for the way we handled it. It works. You're not going to lose customers over having a fire. You will lose them if they feel you're being untruthful with them.

I hadn’t seen the statement, so my first reaction was “WTF, I watched it with my own eyes”. Had I read the statement on their website, that’s exactly the reaction I would have directed at them. Seriously bad decision.

If a wood roof and no sprinklers, the building didn’t have a chance. The cause could have been a 100 different things including a plugged in appliance gone awry.

They moved most of the manufacturing to Mexico a while back.

I was hoping you were correct on that, but perusing BlueSea products at a West Marine yesterday, and reading the labels on them, revealed that only about a quarter of their products stated “assembled in Mexico” on them. Most said, “made in the USA and Canada”.

How big is the factory in Canada?

Last edited:

What difference does it make? How do we know what it "was"? Unless a pubic company full disclosure isn't required nor relevant until all facts are in. And has been said before on this site (and others) Blue Seas is largely a rebranding company anyway. Other's can (and do) fill the void quite nicely.

What difference does it make? How do we know what it "was"? Unless a pubic company full disclosure isn't required nor relevant until all facts are in. And has been said before on this site (and others) Blue Seas is largely a rebranding company anyway. Other's can (and do) fill the void quite nicely.

We know it was a fire because we can read newspapers and television reports. It's common news. And it's quite relevant that it was a fire. It's relevant that it's a major hit to their facility, not some minor "operational difficulty." That makes it sound like perhaps they've lost electricity or their computer systems are down or something. They're being deceptive in how they show. Now, that they've misled as to what has happened, how trustful are you of their next statement as to when they'll be able to ship you?

We've all seen the fire and their statement on their website isn't at all indicative of what happened. When companies do as they have it typically hurts them.

We know it was a fire because we can read newspapers and television reports. It's common news. And it's quite relevant that it was a fire. It's relevant that it's a major hit to their facility, not some minor "operational difficulty." That makes it sound like perhaps they've lost electricity or their computer systems are down or something. They're being deceptive in how they show. Now, that they've misled as to what has happened, how trustful are you of their next statement as to when they'll be able to ship you?

We've all seen the fire and their statement on their website isn't at all indicative of what happened. When companies do as they have it typically hurts them.

Ok, they had a fire. That we knew as of a week ago or so. The Bellingham newspaper quoted both company spokesmen and fire officials saying it was a disaster. Further the company said they are trying to figure out how best to utilize their 75 employees and re-establish operations.

So yes, it is indeed an operational issue. Big time. But hardly a twisted knickers response by some who are totally unaffected.

No doubt they have much more on their hands than the website announcement banner. Who cares if it addresses the cause of the difficulties. It's well known via the news. Any Google search will provide the answer.

I hope their employees and operations are well taken care of. That's the first order of business.

No doubt they have much more on their hands than the website announcement banner. Who cares if it addresses the cause of the difficulties. It's well known via the news. Any Google search will provide the answer.

We’ll have to agree to disagree on that one, Al. :flowers:

So this will sound wonkish and ridiculous to some, but so be it. I spent decades in crisis communications and saw many, many businesses do it the right way and the wrong way. The wrong way—always—is to lie, misdirect or minimize in any public communication. The first impulse when something goes wrong is often to say “nothing to see here folks,” and hope it goes away. It usually won’t—especially if you’ve had fire trucks pumping water on your business.

My work experience has been with large to very large corporations under constant media and regulatory scrutiny. It would be unthinkable—in fact, a likely firing offense—for anyone, including the CEO, to lie or blatantly minimize/misdirect in a public statement that affected the company’s credibility. That may sound absurd to someone not familiar with that kind of environment, but in many businesses credibility is valued as highly as profit. Once lost, you don’t get credibility back without some degree of house-cleaning.

Smaller, unregulated companies with limited resources that operate out of the public eye may feel they have no incentive to be forthright in their public statements. But I believe not doing so sets a crap example and erodes trust among employees, customers, investors distributors and the community you operate in. Yes, Blue Sea had a lot on their plate with the fire, but too often how a company communicates when things go badly wrong becomes number 11 on a list of 10 and their credibility suffers. That’s why more and more companies have crisis communications plans . . . so—in the heat of the moment—they don’t do lasting harm to their reputations after the smoke clears and the immediate crisis is over.

Will I, as a customer, continue to buy from them when they recover? Probably. Their stuff is generally great and I have a boat full of it. But in the back of my mind, I’ll always know they (or somebody who worked there) were willing to minimize/mislead/lie when the chips were down. So I’ll continue to believe the UL ratings on the equipment they sell and take everything else with a grain of salt.

Will I, as a customer, continue to buy from them when they recover? Probably. Their stuff is generally great and I have a boat full of it. But in the back of my mind, I’ll always know they (or somebody who worked there) were willing to minimize/mislead/lie when the chips were down. So I’ll continue to believe the UL ratings on the equipment they sell and take everything else with a grain of salt.

I also find concerning their statement to the effect that they know the raw materials are probably all destroyed but they're waiting to see about the finished goods. That would become a real concern to me that they might try to salvage goods that were in the fire. If we're talking electrical components that were subjected to extremely high temperatures and/or smoke, it wouldn't matter to me how good they looked, I wouldn't trust them.

The insurer in the case of our warehouse fire wanted initially to say very few goods were damaged. However, it was our contention early that quite a few goods were smoke damaged and could not be sold to retailers or sold by retailers as new. We moved all to a facility down the street and sold as seconds. I remember one insurance representative who said he couldn't smell anything, but I reminded him that he was a heavy smoker and didn't smell anything upon entering the warehouse the day after the fire. He then had a panel that reviewed some of the "damaged goods." 3 of the 5 members didn't smell them. I questioned further and it was the three smokers who didn't. I also informed him that we couldn't ship goods that 60% found ok and 40% didn't. Meanwhile we had our dueling experts. Ultimately, they conceded to us on everything.

I've seen how smoke infiltrates penetrate all the boxes so even product inside boxes which appear to have no damage are impacted. I hope as they move forward they become more transparent about what they're doing with any product in the facility and what they're doing as far as replacing it.

The gold standard in how to handle a disaster is Tylenol. Absolutely faced the worst situation possible in tainted product that led to deaths. They took an abundance of caution, removing all product from shelves after tampering with bottles of extra strength Tylenol in the Chicago area with cyanide resulting in 7 deaths. Short term market share went from 37% to less than 7%. Not only did they recover to 80% of prior sales in 90 days, but they revolutionized the packaging for all over the counter drugs. Johnson and Johnson removed 31 million bottles at a cost of $100 million, but saved a brand and showed that they were serious about their safety obligation. Most of all, they showed Tylenol and the manufacturers of it could be trusted.

I think the main thing to take away here, is that if there is some BlueSea product you think you may need in the next year or so, it might be best to haul butt to West Marine and buy it.

If they make electrical stuff, and brag about it's quality and engineering, yet have a major fire that may be electrical in nature... :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom