Manual or Electric Head

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ON a boat that had the space the RV Sealand , with direct drop into a holding tank would be my first choice.

IF the tank were above the WL, the 3 way valve could select GRAVITY (when permitted by the great Poo Patrol Police ) for a trouble free set up.

The deck wash hose (or a bucket) could be used in the "pump out position " to get a really clean sweep of the holding tank.

FF wrote:
ON a boat that had the space the RV Sealand , with direct drop into a holding tank would be my first choice.

IF the tank were above the WL, the 3 way valve could select GRAVITY (when permitted by the great Poo Patrol Police ) for a trouble free set up.

The deck wash hose (or a bucket) could be used in the "pump out position " to get a really clean sweep of the holding tank.
*Good points.* On my Albin the holding tank was glass with gelcoat interior.* When I was renovating...all the pipes going into it were rotton so I cut a rectangular access plate on top and installed the new inlets in a thick piece of plexiglass and reinstalled with a gasket.* When the tank was opened I cleaned it out and the gel coat showed whiter than the cabin sides topsides.

Now with the plexi top a quick glance when I'm in the engine room checking things lets me know level with no guessing or problematic sensors.

I recall reading a review of a highly customized Willard 40 where the head had a straight drop into the holding tank. The interesting part was that the bottom of the holding tank was right at *the waterline so the outlet could be left open while at sea, giving the tank a slight seawater wash while underway. I thought that was kind of slick, although I'm not sure how useful it is in the grand scheme of things.

"The interesting part was that the bottom of the holding tank was right at the waterline so the outlet could be left open while at sea, giving the tank a slight seawater wash while underway."

Nothing in the world better than KISS.

Nothing to fix is a boaters dream!

We have two electric flush heads; each with identical and comfortable porcelain bowls.* Always use quick disintegration Marine TP.* One flushes*through Raritan LectraSan.* One empties into 30 gal holding tank.* Both use raw water.* I reflush with clean*water into tank and then*place plenty of emulsion tabs/liquid into holding tank at each pump out (experience no odors due to heavy hoses, thick tank material and well followed emulsion/deodorizer schedule).**Add salt per flush for LectraSan when in fresh water... if legal to use.* Head with holding tank gets much use! **I installed a gate valve on each of the incoming water hoses, placing it close to electric flush button.* We put a small water pool in bowl for a #2 and adjust a minimal water flow while flushing, thus using little water.* For #1 we simply flush and rinse via water trickle.* Experienced no problem for years. *Do need to instruct persons not accustom to my set up.* For younger grand kids... I get the honors, whats a Grand Pa ta do!!* LOL

HeadMistress wrote:
SeaLand makes a self contained version of it called the 711-M28 "Marine Traveler"...the toilet is mounted directly atop a 9 gallon holding tank.
Peggy I was JUST looking at this on the Defender site.* We are looking getting a small boat for the delta and the one we like has a porta pottie with deck pump out.* To our knowledge it works but we'd prefer something more like a traditional marine head.*This sea land unit looked like a nice step up from a porta potty.* Are there any "watch outs" we need to keep in mind if we consider this unit?*

Two caveats: Make sure there's enough level sole in the head for the 20' x 20" tank footprint and "knee room." It does use onboard pressurized flush water, so make sure you have enough fresh water to spare.

ok thanks Peggy.* Still weighing options.

I just installed a new model jabsco head I has a computezed flush So far it is working great and uses little water Kinda loud but I am happy ...time will tell

We have an electric and like it. It's not a Vacuflush. Chris did'nt like the noise they make. I just winterized it today. Been dragging my feet as the weather has been mild. Has'nt been below 18 or 20 so far but it's supposed to be 10 in a day or two. But we like the electric head and have it plumed to fresh water.

Eric

I just installed a new model jabsco head I has a computezed flush So far it is working great and uses little water Kinda loud but I am happy ...time will tell

an alternative to flushing your computer:

http://willitblend.com/videos/view/121

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom