View Single Post
Old 11-15-2018, 12:22 AM   #6
C lectric
Guru

City: Gibsons, B.C., Canada
Vessel Name: Island Pride
Vessel Model: Palmer 32'
It would help if you said what the boat is and if the engine is mounted relatively flat or on a steep angle.

The Cummins B series has had this discussed MANY times on B.D. forum. Many of them have a shallow oil pan which when overfilled will get the oil beaten into a froth by the crankshaft.
Yes the slight drop was most likely from foaming. When you ran hard likely the boat nose attitude rose more than you normally see so the oil piled to the back of the pan raising the level to get beaten by the crankshaft forcing air into it.
Once you drop back to your normal cruise the boat leveled, the oil level evened out and the froth disappeared.
I've seen it on my own engine, A Cummins V555 engine, untill I dropped the oil level by 2 litres. My dipstick was marked incorrectly plus my engine has a steeper mounting angle than is ideal.

If you normally do not see this don't fret. I suspect the foaming in your case is not extensive but if ever you see the pressure drop while actually running hard then be carefull. Foaming is not good but what you saw this time was not extensive so it disappears quickly as the air dissipates. You probably saw the result of minor foaming.

GO to Seaboard Marine: Tony Athens
sbmar.com
and do some reading about oil pan capacities and filling of the B series. He is literally the Cummins expert of the boating world and has helped hundreds of people. And not on just Cummins engines.
C lectric is offline   Reply With Quote