ranger58sb
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djoub View Post
Here are a few questions:
Do I flush before the impeller or after? Please don’t tell me I need to remove the new impeller. I’ve seen BB (Barnacle Buster) use a funnel over the sea strainer. I don’t have a sea strainer for the engine, just a grate over the hull intake. Do I need to install one?

Some videos show it going into the strainer and thru the engine components and letting the solution sit in the system for a couple of hours then flush it out with sea water. Also have seen videos with a closed loop flush which I’m guessing is more effective. I can figure out a way to get it into the intake hose but where do I close the output of the loop on the exhaust or hot side or before it goes into the muffler?

Can't speak to your engines, but I've flushed with Rydlyme using both methods: recirculate, or fill-and-wait. Didn't see much difference in outcome, but that may have been a function of going-in state, too...

For the recirculate method, I used several purpose-made hose/fitting combinations, and a transfer pump... and had to remove the impeller since I wasn't using the engine's raw water pump. This was coincident with time to change impellers anyway, so I just waited until afterwards to install the new one.

For the fill-and-wait method, I used some of the same hoses/fittings and injected solution (using the transfer pump) from a different point, didn't have to remove the impeller.

Dripless shaft seals can be a drain point, if you have those. I didn't figure out an elegant (read: easy) way to bypass ours, so I kept losing solution during the recirculate method. In fact. that's why I took the fill-and-wait approach on the other engine.

We have sea strainers, and Groco flush adapters just before the strainers... so during the recirculate method, that sea strainer got an extra cleaning, too. That was just coincidental, though; presence (or not) of the strainer was mostly beside the point when it came to flushing the rest of the raw water system.

I had to remove zincs, first, 'cause Rydlyme will eat 'em. I think BB will do the same. (I've used BB for AC raw water system, later, and it seemed to work about the same as Rydlyme.)

The point about aftercoolers needing periodic off-engine service is also specifically pertinent for our situation; flushing our raw water system is in no way a substitute for real aftercooler service... 'cause on-engine flushing does nothing for the air side of the aftercoolers.

-Chris