Northern Lights Training

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jimdavi

Vessel Name
Couple’s Retreat
Vessel Make
2019 North Pacific 45
Has anyone taken Northern Lights classes? I see they have an owners class, (2 days) for owners @ $450 and a captains class ( 1 day) for no charge.

I am signed up for the Captains Class, 23 January 2019.

I attended the captains (free) class, but did not have the schedule for the other 2 days. I enjoyed the class, learned a lot, and would recommend it.

I have heard good things about the additional two days, from those that took the first day for free.

I just have a little 9kw and it is pretty simple, so not sure I will attend more training in the near future. I will probably consider it more seriously once we are ready to head offshore...will need a refresher by then anyway.

What does it cover? I sourced a used 6kw, replaced all the sensors, water pump, cleaned the cooling system, oil, fluids, adjusted valves and painted. Pretty much followed the manual for specs. It’s run without issue for two years now. Wondering if this class would have offered more for somebody willing to learn, but not afraid of basic engine principles or just been money better spent on parts.

I attended the 2 day class a couple of years ago. I worked as a mechanic many years ago so already know my way around engines, but it was still worth while. Bob Senter is one of the best in the industry and will give you dozens of priceless tips for maintenance and troubleshooting. I'd say the course is a must for anyone who wants to be self sufficient with their equipment as opposed to calling in someone to fix it.

I’m interested in the valve adjustment process. Have never done that.

Back
Top Bottom