garychurch

City: Green Cove Springs
Vessel Name: Laa-Dee-Dah
Vessel Model: 64’ Grand Banks Aleutian
Ask

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterant View Post
Hi guys,

We are buying a boat in US to bring to Canada. We will remove her from US registration, import to Canada, pay duties and taxes - I know how to do this.

It will be a long trip from East coast to Lake Ontario and I want to bring some electronics, equipment, dinghy and outboard motor I have left from the previous boat (some things almost new). I will get a U-Haul trailer and use it to drive everything from Canada to US to put/install on the boat and after that bring it back to Canada with the boat.

Question is - how do I prove to US Customs on the border crossing that all this stuff will go back to Canada so they will not charge me taxes on that and make me "import" this to US?
I can just go for it and hope my explanation and "promise" to bring it back will satisfy the customs officer but maybe there is some more reliable way to do this? I will have Bill of Sale and Canadian registration papers for the boat but this will not mention anything I will have in the trailer.
Or this is normal and people do that all the time without any issues and I over-complicate the process?
Contact CPB and ask for clarification. Get it in writing or a copy of the applicable regulations and follow it. Keep records of everything.
garychurch is offline   Reply With Quote