Adding an Autopilot at Lower Helm

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

angus99

Guru
Vessel Name
Stella Maris
Vessel Make
Defever 44
We have a 10-year-old Simrad AP 28 at the flybridge tied to a Simrad network. What would be the least-costly way to expand this to our lower helm? I’m fine with buying legacy equipment in good condition, but would also consider new equipment that might be compatible with the network. It won’t get used that much since we operate mostly from the flybridge—hence the desire to limit the cost—but when we’ll need it, we’ll need it.

Just install an AP28 or AP24 control head and connect it to the simnet (N2K) that runs to the computer and existing AP28, and perhaps other devices. It’s a super easy upgrade.

Thanks, that does seem to be the easiest and least-cost way. I was considering a remote—if any are compatible—but like the idea of having the same interface (AP28s) at both helms.

Yes, adding another control head is pretty easy. Make sure you read the directions for going from one station to another. On my older systen, going from the AP20 to the AP21 to the jog lever requires dropping out or autopilot to standby before activating the next station. Your system may be different.

Ted

Possibly the cheapest way is with a simple $5 toggle switch for on/off.
I had that working on a coursemaster on a previous boat, perhaps yours could be done the same

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom