Depth type bypass engine oil filters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bshanafelt

Vessel Name
Isobel K
Vessel Make
37' Custom Pilothouse
I don't remember any discussion on this board on this idea.

The question of oil filter microns was raised on the fuel filter thread.

Gulf Coast Filters claim the paper towel roll equals 2 micron filtration.

http://gulfcoastfilters.com/index.htm

Who uses depth filters, and what are your comments?

Attachments

• gulffilter.jpg
    gulffilter.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 677
Our DD 6-71 is fitted with a bypass filter from the factory.

It is very efficient as it takes 25-30 hours for the oil to get darker. Our more modern Full Flow filter 8V71 is black after startup to check for leaks on a change.

Our new (to us) Flexible VL 100 coach has a series 50 , and indeed a bupass filter is being installed.

The model used is centrifugal , filters can be carried easily and the replacement cost is close to zero.

HD trucks have to remove oil perodicaly as many no longer change the oil by mileage, instead lab sampling,is used.

The addative package in oil does wear out/get used up (not the oil) , so pulling a gallon for space for new oil is now common. .

My old Cummins V555M came fitted with a bypass lube oil filter; it is a Cummins product. They offered two sizes, mine is the smaller one although it still holds about 5-6 qts.. From what I've seen it does work as my darkening experience is similar to FF, takes a bunch of hours before the oil really blackens.

The Cummins filters though are NOT toilet or paper towels.

I still do my oil changes at the prescribed interval or 200hr or once yearly now since I usually don't make 200 anymore.

For a bunch of years I did change by sampling but I was running 300 hrs+ yearly although even then I didn't push it too far but got to about 400 hrs and to about 1 1/2 yrs.

If you do that though you must look at the sampling as the additives are depleted even though the dirt and soot is held down.

Actually the Gulf Coast filter is sub-micron filtering. I use that big one for polishing my fuel, but don't have the Jr. for oil. I don't use my engine enough to justify it. Now if I was using synthetic oil and putting a couple of thousand hours a year on the main, sure.

While I think a bypass filter is a great idea...not sure I would trust my diesel to today's paper towels....not sure I trust my dishes with them with as much crap they leave behind when I wipe something shiny.

Yeah...the other oil filter...still! :)

-- Edited by psneeld on Tuesday 10th of January 2012 08:49:43 AM

psneeld wrote:
While I think a bypass filter is a great idea...not sure I would trust my diesel to today's paper towels....not sure I trust my dishes with them with as much crap they leave behind when I wipe something shiny.

Yeah...the other oil filter...still! :)

-- Edited by psneeld on Tuesday 10th of January 2012 08:49:43 AM
Many years ago, toilet paper lube oil filters were all the rage.* Then all of a sudden they all dissapeared.* I heard, and we all know that*"heard" equals*9 tenths BS,*that while they kept the oil yellow, nice and clean, they also removed*the detergency*from the oil.* The other rumor was the toilet paper contained chemicals, bleaches that passed into the oil.

Does anybody know if any of this*is true?*

TP filters were all the rage with who? My skepticism kicked in so I did a browse. Humm. So after Googling here is what I found:
<ul>[*]A man credited his TP filter, in a JC Whitney filter case arrangement, with increasing his mileage 10% and eliminating all engine wear in*his 1979 Renault 16.[*]Frantz still sells TP bypass filter setups so your oil will remain clean for the life of the engine, or up to 100,000 miles whichever comes first.[*]You can buy the kits on Ebay Motors and Craiglist, some from the 1960s and still in the box and unused.[*]TP is superior for diesel filtration - compared to the mass produced conventional fuel filters - by removing all traces of contamination including sulfur and spent additives[/list]
None of the information I found*stated if the TP should be used or new. I'll keep digging.

sunchaser wrote:
TP filters were all the rage with who? My skepticism kicked in so I did a browse. Humm. So after Googling here is what I found:
<ul>[*]A man credited his TP filter, in a JC Whitney filter case arrangement, with increasing his mileage 10% and eliminating all engine wear in*his 1979 Renault 16.[*]Frantz still sells TP bypass filter setups so your oil will remain clean for the life of the engine, or up to 100,000 miles whichever comes first.[*]You can buy the kits on Ebay Motors and Craiglist, some from the 1960s and still in the box and unused.[*]TP is superior for diesel filtration - compared to the mass produced conventional fuel filters - by removing all traces of contamination including sulfur and spent additives[/list]
None of the information I found*stated if the TP should be used or new. I'll keep digging.
We I was a kid back in the late 50's I would see folks that didn't have a bunch of money use a roll of TP in the old add on*canister filters on Chevys and Fords.* Never heard of any problems with them.

It was still on the roll so I'm guessing it was new and*clean.

sunchaser wrote:

When I was a kid in High School, 65', 66', in a dry farming area of eastern Washington, they had them on tractors, combines, trucks and cars.* I worked in a service station after school and I had to change out, not the oil, just these toilet paper filters on cars that came in.*

They were kind of messy if you weren't careful and you had to peal off some layers of the toilet paper role to make the new role fit the canister just right. The station owner kept a case of industrial toilet paper just for that purpose.* You changed out the paper role*and added one quart of oil.* That was all there was to it??* One time we ran out and we went into the men's room and took the one out*of there
biggrin.gif

By the time*I graduated from college, and went to work for*Union Oil Co,*TP Filters were a thing of the past and the company frowned on any TBA, automotive parts, additives or add on filters, that we didn't Market.* Things like this were considered "Snake Oil" by the company.* We didn't market any additives and the company line was, "Our products are*formulated to*meet and exceed the highest standards of the automotive industry and no additives are necessary, nor do we*recommend there use*with any of our products."

The first I heard about them since then was on this forum several months ago.

Larry B
p.s.* If they work, why did people stop*using them?* That's my question.

-- Edited by Edelweiss on Wednesday 11th of January 2012 12:18:53 AM

If they work, why did people stop using them? That's my question.

Auto engines have become far more reliable. Small engines used to need to be "de coked" every 60,000 miles.

Today the lazer selection of engine parts , and mostly non human assembly , and better materials , and loads of cheap cars will last 250,000 miles.

A great thing for the owners of gas boats, as engine life has doubled (1000 hours to 2000hours ) for rebuild time.

FF wrote:
If they work, why did people stop using them? That's my question.

Auto engines have become far more reliable. Small engines used to need to be "de coked" every 60,000 miles.

Today the lazer selection of engine parts , and mostly non human assembly , and better materials , and loads of cheap cars will last 250,000 miles.

A great thing for the owners of gas boats, as engine life has doubled (1000 hours to 2000hours ) for rebuild time.
*I agree...with just 200 hr oil filter changes ...our 454's in our assistance towing fleet are getting 3000+ hrs.* They get abused way more than rec boats (of course they get used way more regularly too).* That is if you keep the water out of the cylinders from the exhaust manifolds.

It's interesting to hear the stories.* I believe that the add on filters were made by Fram or some major filter company for the Flat Head V-8 Fords and the 265 Chevys as well as the sixes.* We carried a replacement filter cartridge which was a*Fram F4*and a C4.

Just ran into this on line:

Oil Filtration
<ul>[*]The most commonly used filter media is cellulose, which is a natural material that presents a random and irregular field of fibers to the oil. By itself, it can only deliver about 80% dirt-trapping efficiency.[*]By adding microscopic synthetic fibers, small windows are created that trap the smaller dirt particles without affecting the flow of oil. Blending synthetic fibers with cellulose increases a filter's dirt-trapping efficiency and its dirt-holding capacity for higher levels of engine protection and longer filter life.[/list]
I think the TP was just a cheap way out.* We would see more of it's use in times like in 1956 when*the Steel Workers had gone on strike and the steel plants were closed down for almost a month. In a town like Youngstown OH that meant no one was working. Well at least 60% of the folks were affected directly and the rest indirectly.* With no money and most folks living from pay check to pay check (sound familiar)*the $1.50 for a F4 cartridge was better used to feed the family.* So once folks found out the TP worked it became common place.

There were a number of different filter canister styles, maybe different makers too, I never paid attention.* Some were permanently*bolted to the car engine or body, some were chrome plated and held on by a clamp release (so you could release the canister and turn them upside down before opening.)*

The toilet paper though didn't change, the station owner managed to find the cheapest stuff available.* We used to say it was made from*processed corn cobs.**
yawn.gif

But they all had the same problem.* Unlike the factory filter, which by then were all pretty much spin on and under the car, these were all mounted on top of the engine under the hood and hot oil ran everywhere when you opened them up.* Being the junior man, I always got stuck changing them, which we did on a*patch of dirt*around the side of the service station, so we didn't mess up the lube bay floor.*

Department of Ecology, who's that??*
no.gif

p.s.* In 1962 my mother bought a base model, Pontiac Tempest, 4 cyl, 3 speed manual and there was no oil filter.* It was considered an option!!

-- Edited by Edelweiss on Wednesday 11th of January 2012 08:06:30 PM

"In 1962 my mother bought a base model, Pontiac Tempest, 4 cyl, 3 speed manual and there was no oil filter.* It was considered an option!!"

LOL I had one of those as my very first car, but the auto with the dash lever! Brings back memories. Thanks.

My dad bought a really old truck, circa maybe 1940's or so. He hated working on engines, so I decided to change the oil for him. Never could find a filter of any kind. I removed the oil pan drain plug, and nothing came out. Checked the oil with the dipstick, and there was plenty in there. Got a stick and started poking around... finally dug a hole in the 1" or so of sludge in the bottom of the oil pan and got it to drain.
no.gif

Keith wrote:
... finally dug a hole in the 1" or so of sludge in the bottom of the oil pan and got it to drain.
no.gif
*The good old days of "straight mineral oil"

I never quite understood the argument against cleaner oil, so installed a Puradyn. *It has two types of filters, one with an additive package and one without for about $16.00. *I use the latter since I change the filter annually anyway and follow the OEM interval for oil changes. *The former is for those who want to keep using the same oil, which may well be ok, but for the sake of saving the cost of the oil, I don't care to find out.

Attachments

• picture 032.jpg
    picture 032.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 103
sunchaser wrote:
*That cracked my ass up

Attachments

• ass.jpg
    ass.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 105
jleonard wrote:
"In 1962 my mother bought a base model, Pontiac Tempest, 4 cyl, 3 speed manual and there was no oil filter.* It was considered an option!!"

LOL I had one of those as my very first car, but the auto with the dash lever! Brings back memories. Thanks.
My sister still has the Tempest; Always been garaged, never been restored and*it just turned 100,000 miles.* It came from the factory with black wall tires, black steel wheels with dog dish hubcaps, no outside mirrors, no oil filter.* Taxi cab interior, black rubber floormats, radio delete and still runs like a top.** The excessories were windshield wipers and a heater.* I wish I could talk her out of it!!
evileye.gif

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom