Engine installation on 40ft DeFever

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Harlyguynola

Vessel Name
Bonnie C’S
Vessel Make
DeFever 40ft Passage-maker Downeast
Ok well it’s going down this Saturday came up with new plan putting in 130hp Perkins while still in water at my dock in back yard built a bridge straight through the port side door inside steel beam over engine hatch held up by 2x6 A frames on bottom of beam a beam trolly and winch snatching off the bridge I built out of 4x4s lower down into engine room on motor mounts call it a day IMG_1957.jpg

Good luck with it. Can you take and post a lot of photos?

Make sure you have a method of controlling the speed on the bridge, a run away motor could be ugly. I'm thinking someone on the dock with a line from the motor to a cleat slowly paying out line. I hope your dock is in very protected water. A swinging motor hanging from A frames could end badly.

Ted

Make sure you have a method of controlling the speed on the bridge, a run away motor could be ugly. I'm thinking someone on the dock with a line from the motor to a cleat slowly paying out line. I hope your dock is in very protected water. A swinging motor hanging from A frames could end badly.

Ted

Ted thanks for advise I have a 4x4 going across dock from piling to piling and a winch hooked to it directly behind engine letting it out very slowly yes my canal is very protected and my DeFever being full displacement helps she’s a pretty steady ole girl inside to except engine I have another winch on a steal beam on a beam castors if ya think of anything else let me know

You're doing almost exactly what a commercial vendor did to remove/replace my Perkins in my mainship...Although a bit unnerving, it all went as planned..Good luck!

You're doing almost exactly what a commercial vendor did to remove/replace my Perkins in my mainship...Although a bit unnerving, it all went as planned..Good luck!

Thanks we getting at now post pics later

Thanks we getting at now post pics later

Alright it’s done the engine is in the engine room no damage to the boat not even a scratch it was definitely a tight squeeze not a easy task but it is done I will say no one got hurt thank God here are some pictures of the installation so busy I couldn’t stop to take as many as I would of liked because we were non stop but here’s a few I did take of the job IMG_1957.jpgIMG_1992.jpgIMG_1997.jpgIMG_1959.jpgIMG_1967.jpgIMG_1973.jpgIMG_1975.jpgIMG_1993.jpgIMG_1989.jpgIMG_1995.jpg

OK, I have to pull my engines (Perkins 4-236s) so I can pull fuel tanks and re -seal engines, paint engine room etc. I may use your method. Thanks for sharing.

Kevin

OK, I have to pull my engines (Perkins 4-236s) so I can pull fuel tanks and re -seal engines, paint engine room etc. I may use your method. Thanks for sharing.

Kevin

No problem it worked perfect might not show in picture but had a winch on back end and let it down very slowly as it went through the door the 130 Perkins barely squeezed in but it went through any questions feel free ask I saved a ton of money doing it with the help of friends instead of a yard

Good job. How did you attach the steel I beam to the wooden X brackets? How big was the I beam?

Good job Tim. Silly question but what paint did you use on your Perkins and where did you find it?

Good job. How did you attach the steel I beam to the wooden X brackets? How big was the I beam?

I had it strapped down with ratchet straps and sitting on 2x6 front and back the I beam was a 6x6 and I had a 2x6 on top keeping beam from popping up from A frame to A frame

Good job Tim. Silly question but what paint did you use on your Perkins and where did you find it?

Nah no question is to silly that’s why I love this Forum but with age my memory not so good but I bought it off the shelf at local paint store rust resistant in a can I am going to do lots of prepping on engine I am installing new water pump ,alternator thermostats ,and will put a couple more coats when I pick it up will take picture and post

What I do is take the valve cover cap to an auto paint shop. They read it with a "computer" scanner and mix the paint to match. Perfect the last three times.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom