Perkins volt meter guage needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

steelguy

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
SE Drifter
Vessel Make
Sisu 30
The volt meter I have on my 1980 Sisu is no longer working and I think I need to replace it, unless someone can tell me it can be fixed somehow. If it matters, the engine is a Perkins 354L 115hp. Is this a job of simply disconnecting and reconnecting wires? I don't have a clue of what it is I need, I am electrically brain dead! Any help would be greatly appreciated. The volt meter is on the upper left in the photo. Thanks!

Attachments

• volt meter .jpg
    volt meter .jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 74
Probably any brand gauge that fits the hole will do. Use the existing wires. It's about the same wiring as a DC light. New gauge should come with a wiring diagram.

It may not need replacement.
Clean ALL electrical connections

Hope this helps

thanks! not back to my boat to look at the gauge until next May but good to have some idea of what has to be done.

Have you checked the reading at the gauge with a volt meter?
Could be a bad wire connection or a bad wire.

Yes it is that easy with a voltmeter. Odds are though that one of the wires broke off due to corrosion.

Perkins Voltmeter

On my Perkins T6-354 with OEM panel, the gauges were Stewart Warner. This was on 1978 vintage engine.

Ian Munro

Probably any brand gauge that fits the hole will do. Use the existing wires. It's about the same wiring as a DC light. New gauge should come with a wiring diagram.
I have never seen a voltmeter that didn't have simple red-black wires to hook up ( aside from the lighting circuit). Any gauge will work, digital or analog.

thanks to everyone! looks like the Stewart Warner is almost an exact match. I will first look at the wires and connections, then check with my multimeter and if needed, simply replace it. Thanks!

"! looks like the Stewart Warner is almost an exact match"

Before duplicating an analog gauge have yu thought of upgrading to a didital?

They can be read from further away and tiny differences can be read far easier than looking at a skinny needle.

"! looks like the Stewart Warner is almost an exact match"

Before duplicating an analog gauge have yu thought of upgrading to a didital?

They can be read from further away and tiny differences can be read far easier than looking at a skinny needle.

My personal preference are analog gauges because, I can put a small piece of red tape on the face marking a desire position.
Analog gauges are designed so the normal readings are in the center 2/3s of the gauge face. A quick look, you will see if you are high or low of the normal reading.

My personal preference are analog gauges because, I can put a small piece of red tape on the face marking a desire position.
Analog gauges are designed so the normal readings are in the center 2/3s of the gauge face. A quick look, you will see if you are high or low of the normal reading.
If you want the benefits of an easier to read and very accurate analog gauge consider a full sweep Isspro voltmeter.

Please don't over think it. If you need to replace the gauge, any 12 volt meter that fits in the hole will work. Auto gauges come in various but similar sizes, ie" 1", 1.5", 2", up to about 6"....just figure out what yours is. I would make sure you have power to the wires first however.

The gauge "marketer" should be on the face of the gauge.
I say "marketer" because I suspect most of them are now made in China by one or two companies and marketed under various names.

Last edited:
"My personal preference are analog gauges because, I can put a small piece of red tape on the face marking a desire position."

A "pip" stuck on the gauge face at normal is a help ,but even better is the old multi engine (DC -8) method of rotating each gauge so the indicating needle lies flat.

Lean back and panel of 40-60 gauges can be quickly observed , looking for a droopy , is a snap.

Easy also to tell a wheel holder know what to look for.

Last edited:
...usually, gauges must be replaced with the same brand etc, because the gauge and the sender should match...clyde

A volt meter does not have a sender... temperature and pressure do.

Back
Top Bottom