Soda blasting - How much?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ftbinc

Vessel Name
Oma
Vessel Make
Kadey Krogan\Manatee
Hi All:
I am trying to evaluate an estimate on soda blasting the bottom of my Manatee (36 feet)
I would live replies based on other's experiences including:
  1. How much
  2. When (year)
  3. boat length
  4. area of country
  5. Cost of extras (prep, moving boat, etc )

I will also compile and publish the results in this thread as a way of paying it forward for others with the same questions.

Thanks!
Paul
"Oma" KK Manatee

About 5 years ago we had a previous boat soda blasted. It cost $35 per foot here in mid Michigan. There were no other costs at all. They did a great job.

We had our DeFever 45 sodablasted this past spring at Skipper Bud’s in Winthrop Harbor, IL. The boat measures 40 feet by 14 feet. I don’t know what the “painted” area works out to, but they used two gallons of barrier coat and three gal.s of Pettit paint to finish. The soda blasting took three days and cost $2250. It is far superior to sand blasting or grinding. It is gentler on the gelcoat and provides a great surface for the barrier coat. You must put on a barrier coat.
Gary

Does it work for aluminium hulls?
We're thinking of going bare alum above the waterline but the thought of grinding/sanding off all the paint over the years is daunting, especially around all the small fiddly bits.

Thanks Gary:

was the cost just for the blasting? or did it include the painting as well?

We had our DeFever 45 sodablasted this past spring at Skipper Bud’s in Winthrop Harbor, IL. The boat measures 40 feet by 14 feet. I don’t know what the “painted” area works out to, but they used two gallons of barrier coat and three gal.s of Pettit paint to finish. The soda blasting took three days and cost $2250. It is far superior to sand blasting or grinding. It is gentler on the gelcoat and provides a great surface for the barrier coat. You must put on a barrier coat.
Gary

Thanks - just the info I am looking for

About 5 years ago we had a previous boat soda blasted. It cost $35 per foot here in mid Michigan. There were no other costs at all. They did a great job.

I just asked the yard and the current price is $40 per foot here.

April of 2014, $1,600 for my 36' x 13' Prairie. East Coast Soda Blasting, I think they cover much of the Northeast. That was the total, no other costs.

Unfortunately, that was the cost only for the soda blasting. The painting (barrier coat, paint, prep, labor, etc) was $3750. Not cheap, but in the Fresh water of the Great Lakes we shouldn’t have to repaint for a couple of years. We went with Petites Hydrolux waterbased paint with the biolux anti-slime treatment. When we pulled the boat last month for winter storage, it was really clean, just a little slime. By the way, the yard where we keep the boat wanted more than twice this amount to sand blast and paint! I don’t think they wanted the job....
Gary

I did my own barrier coat and bottom paint. The yard brought my boat down to our house and blocked it up on my driveway. Made it really easy to roll around under the boat on a creeper. Also I knew that it was done correctly and with the proper number of barrier coats.

I'm planning on doing my own barrier coat and bottom paint too. (I don't think the yard will deliver to my driveway.) I've done bottom painting on the sailboats for years - I really don't trust the yard guys to be as careful as I will be to ensure good coverage - my wife is a great painter of bottoms (that doesn't sound quite right :angel: ) and I know how to be the "goofer" while she is rolling on the bottom paint so the painting process shouldn't have any surprises. I know I will use a two part epoxy paint 3-5 coats, then an anti-slime bottom paint. We will be in fresh water for at least the next 3 years. I am hoping to have the bottom paint last that long, and be able to switch to something for saltwater after that for our looping.

I did my own barrier coat and bottom paint. The yard brought my boat down to our house and blocked it up on my driveway. Made it really easy to roll around under the boat on a creeper. Also I knew that it was done correctly and with the proper number of barrier coats.

I am paying 50 $/ft at Manasquan River Club, NJ.
If I had the boat at home in PA someone could do it at my house for 35 $/ft.

Not to go to far off topic, but you are listed as being VA, but you are in fresh water? Are you planning to go back to salt water? When/if you do go back will you change bottom paint?

Unfortunately, that was the cost only for the soda blasting. The painting (barrier coat, paint, prep, labor, etc) was $3750. Not cheap, but in the Fresh water of the Great Lakes we shouldn’t have to repaint for a couple of years. We went with Petites Hydrolux waterbased paint with the biolux anti-slime treatment. When we pulled the boat last month for winter storage, it was really clean, just a little slime. By the way, the yard where we keep the boat wanted more than twice this amount to sand blast and paint! I don’t think they wanted the job....
Gary

Reside in VA. This year boat winters in Michigan. Next year, New York. We’re doing the northern loop (albeit backwards) for a couple of years, then back to Michigan. No plans to go to salt water. Did that for 13 years with a sailboat and finally discovered the joys of fresh water cruising. ;) We selected the Hydrocoat SR paint due to its dual biocides. It will also work in salt water.
Gary

Thinking ahead about doing this project next year, too...

When ya'll say "$$ per foot" you're using nominal boat length or hull length? Not actual square footage of the area to be blasted?

I'm assuming it's just the bottom that gets the blasting treatment, not the whole hull... yes? Followed by barrier coating and bottom paint?

-Chris

Yes, the only part of the hull that is soda blasted is below the waterline. The bottom then requires some type of barrier coat, epoxy or otherwise, to seal the now porous gel coat. A good two-part epoxy negates the requirement for a primer coat before the bottom paint.

Thanks; appreciate the confirmation.

-Chris

What is it about your hull condition that requires it to be soda-blasted?

Can't speak for OP, but in our case, just 16 years of bottom paint. I'm thinking blasting is just the fastest/easiest way to prep the surfaces for new paint...

-Chris

Once blasted and barrier coated only 1 coat of ablative is needed each year here in the Northeast. Power wash at haul, very light sanding (if at all) and a yearly coat of ablative is all that is necessary. This assumes that you are hauling in the fall and launching in the spring.

Has anyone used "Dustless Blasting" which uses waterborne media? I have seen some some youtube videos that shows it very effective for the hull, prop and rudders.

I don't know who is confused. Maybe me. Everyone talks about soda blasting, but I'm not sure that's what a lot of people are getting. There is a pressure washing system that uses baking soda to remove paint. Not really soda blasting with compressed air. There's a big difference between the two in time to finish and cost. Do you know which system is being used on your boat?

Mine was similar to sand blasting but they used soda as the media. It is gentler on the glass than sand and more controllable, doesn’t remove the bottom paint as aggressively as sand.

Mine was similar to sand blasting but they used soda as the media. It is gentler on the glass than sand and more controllable, doesn’t remove the bottom paint as aggressively as sand.

:thumb:
I've done both methods, but in the automotive world and not on fiberglass. Altho, it shouldn't be much different that ABS found on vehicles. That stuff can really warp and melt if the soda stream is concentrated in one area for too long. I assume the gel coat or outer resin layer could be blasted away if concentrating in one area. I wouldn't use an abrasive media like sand, aluminum, or slag. Ground walnut shells may not be to bad. It would be a bit more aggressive than soda. Just dial back the air pressure.

Can't speak for OP, but in our case, just 16 years of bottom paint. I'm thinking blasting is just the fastest/easiest way to prep the surfaces for new paint...

-Chris

:thumb: We’ve had three hull’s bottom paint removed. Two by blasting and the other by grinding. The blasting is definitely the preferred method for cost and just cleaner to do. In each case we had 20 plus years of hard bottom accumulated. It’s the one down side of hard bottom paints which we still use since the boats in the water year round, the waters warm and we try to clean the bottom monthly.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom