What does your BOW look like?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hmmm, bow, oh yeah, that's the pointy end.*
biggrin.gif

Here's Makin' Do in a Haro Strait (San Juan Is., WA) chop.

Ed

Attachments

• p1011053.jpg
    p1011053.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 95
OK, here's the new and improved bow shots of "Happy Destiny.)

Well, in this case it's the bow of the dinghy (you didn't specify did you?)
and a view over the bow.
Cheers

Looks like a good place to post my first.* Everyone likes to show off their bow!

Attachments

• mast3resized.jpg
    mast3resized.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 108
Welcome aboard, Bob!!! Good to see ya over here!!!

And very cool boat.* That thing looks TOUGH!

-- Edited by Baker at 06:36, 2007-12-10

Thanks for the welcome, John....looks like fun!* I like the format and being able to see the avatar of the members boats, etc.* Nothing like boating and talking about it.

Hey Bob, if you would, start another thread and tell us about your boat. And if you have pics of the inside that would be cool too. I love small trawlers and yours looks to be really neat!!!

I was tryng to be PC by saying "really neat". What I meant to say was "bad azz"!!!!!

Hi John,
I would like to start a thread about trailer trawlers and pocket cruisers at some point...or maybe someone else will.* Until then, please check out my website *for interior pictures and projects like constructing a radar mast and swim platform.* I just installed a hydronic heating system simular to the kind in cars that gets it's heat from the engine closed cooling system...my hot water heater does too. I haven't updated the site with*the installation*though.
I am making this a completely self contained and fully equiped cruising boat for protected waters and plan many future trips.
I think trailer trawlers and pocket cruisers are gaining in popularity due to the transportability and range of cruising grounds available to trailer boats....not to mention how low the cost to store and maintain one is* A website is overdue for this type of boating and my little podunk website comes up 4th or so on a Google search for "trailer trawler"...amazing.* Boat US has a trailer boat website.
Many manufacturers have noticed the market and a variety of boats are increasingly available.*
Here is a picture of when I first loaded her up on the restored trailer and brought her home.

Thanks for your interest,

Attachments

• 11-11-06 030.jpg
    11-11-06 030.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 103
Awesome boat, Bob. Giant expensive boats are a dime a dozen. I love them too but Handsome trailerable ones are extremely rare. Maybe we could set up a "Trailerable Trawler" section on here. There is a custom section as well. In any event, feel free to utilize this site to the fullest and be proud of that thing. Start whatever thread you want(no need to wait for someone else to start it). I know we have a tendency to be a little gun shy coming from T&T but don't(no offense to the T&T folks...I realize it is a bandwidth thing). That is why we set up this site you could have the freedom to show your stuff and be yourself.

Well I'm new to here... been on the T&T list and*others and I*see some names/handles I recognize.
handshake.gif

I've been wishing for a long time that the T&T*forum was like*this so happy to be with you all. I suppose it will take me a while to get squared away but till then... Here's our BOW (not sure what size pics to use so stating small)
confused.gif

Cheers, Jon

Attachments

• mariah in prb lrcrop.jpg
    mariah in prb lrcrop.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 96
  • marunder.jpg
    marunder.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 77
Welcome aboard Trawlerguy!! Very very nice boat. What kind is it?

Speaking of bows.* This is bow of our Diesel Duck in the Baltimore Harbor this summer.
On one side of the bow is the draft in metric and the other side -in feet.

Attachments

• bow of peking.jpg
    bow of peking.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 79
Hey Bob, nice to meet ya and everyone here. I've seen you on the "other" forum for yrs.*I've never had her on a trailer but I really did think about it once, and may still do it. We lived on her in Dominica for over a year and I seriously considered building a trailer to pull her on there since there's no lift there and no hurricane shelter. Ended up just going to Antigua for hurricane prep but it complicated things a lot for us.

As for our boat John B... We don't have a website about us/Mariah, although it's on my list,*but it you follow the*"shorter link" on our sig line you'll see what pics I have put up on the MSN T&T pics site. I need to*go back there and put up some new ones but don't get high speed very often to*do it.*

She is*a*62'*steel trawler built in 69*by*Gilbert*C. Klingel on Gwynn's Island in the Chesapeake Bay, at his "one man boat yard", for a man in Charlotte, NC*named Cato as a pleasure yacht*and originally christened "Manteo".*She displaces about 72tons, has twin Cat D-333s, 1-Cat/Lima 30KW and 1-Onan 6KW gen sets. She's more*boat than we need, and sometimes more than we*want, but we needed a boat that we could anchor out on for*years at a time*and that would*provide*everything we needed without shore support. She was what we could afford that would do that.... Besides, we*now love her*so you know how that goes.*

We didn't know anything about her*for*years after we bought her and just assumed there were many other "Gwynn's Island" owners out there. However,*after a lot of web searching and many generic requests on*web sites for info we finally*got an email from a man in Baltimore, Mr. Ken McQuade,*that had known*the builder, now deceased, very well*and he told us what we know about her history of the boat and*actually*sent us some scans of slides he had taken of the boatyard.*

He told us that*Klingel had retired from*Armco Steel in Baltimore MD*as Chief of Metallurgy there.*He*began building*steel sailboats, of about 33' designed by*Al Manson,*while*there and continued on Gwynn's Island*after his*retirement. I guess he built about 11 sailboats but Mariah was the largest boat he ever built and one of only two power boats, the other being a small tug type work boat. Mariah was built after he retired to Gwynn's Island where I presume he had lived before. This*gentleman*also told us that Klingel had written a book, ["Boatbuilding* With Steel" -* International Marine Publishing Co. 1973 ISBN# 0 87742 029 7] in which we could find pictures of her during construction.**This book is out of print but we did find one and it's an excllent resource for steel boat building.

I'm sure this is a heck of a lot more than you wanted to know, and prolly not where I should have put it, so please let me know if there's an appropriate place for such background info here.
Cheers, Jon

-- Edited by trawlerguy at 13:14, 2007-12-16

Jon, that is absolutely good stuff and welcome here!!! A boat is just a boat until we instill a little soul into her. It sounds like MARIAH has a part of your soul and you a part of her's!!!!

Your so very*right about that John.*
biggrin.gif

We found*Mariah via*a really great FL*broker, (Howard Donhauser) and I remember being philosophical about how the boat would gain a lot of value after we did all the needed repairs/upgrades*needed. I remember him saying to "never fall in love with a boat"...

Well, that didn't work out to well...*
img_7330_1_1d32cb949f60c8658e67bc9246b156c4.gif

A few years back the work we were doing in the Carib dried up and we couldn't find work in the US that would allow us to continue to live on the boat. It was*quite an eye*opener to discover*how much we'd "fell in love". Actually much more of a surprise was that it wasn't mostly me... It was*Susan who couldn't stand the thought of loosing "her child" Mariah. Who'd a thuk it?

I'd like to*mention that at that time we*had it listed with*Judy of JWYs,*(and it's good to see her here). She did a great job for us but we didn't end up having to sell after an opportunity came*up in SXM.
img_7330_2_bcdcaf651d3e9a9ea01d254afa7c7869.gif

Some day I hope we will be able to spend some years touring the US waterways but I don't know how we'll ever part with Mariah since she would be a suitable boat for that use.
Cheers, Jon

A chunky Honduras mohagany bow. Needs a new coat of paint, whenever it gets above 50 degrees again on Long Island.

Alec

Attachments

• 100_1475.jpg
    100_1475.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 102
I just put the boat on the hard for a bottom job, some other maintenance**and to finish some painting. So here she is I hope these pictures aren't* too big.

Attachments

• img_0032.jpg
    img_0032.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 75
  • img_0040.jpg
    img_0040.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 107

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom