Salon major water damage in Vancouver BC

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sea Q

Commercial Member
Vessel Name
Sea Q
Vessel Make
Westport Mc Queen
Need some advice
We had our boat in a shipyard for bottom paint and to replace all thru hull valves.
Unfortunately outside drains plugged causing rainwater to over flow the door sills and flood the salon 3 times when on the blocks. First flood happened the second day in the yard.

The yard next door grinds up car seats and the fibers float ever where.
And I should have known there was a problem when a 4 day job turned into 2 weeks
When we picked up the boat they told us that they had cleaned up the water ingress but the outside decks were covered in this black like dirt fiber when we got on it was nasty.
I was in the engine room below when we splashed it and there was still water dripping from ceiling “special”.
So we took it back to its shed and turned the heat up to dry the carpets.
4 days later we went down the boat and found the carpets still wet
Carpets are stained and wood walls and chairs are showing black stains creeping up the oak.
I also worry about the plywood flooring and the engine room ceiling and there is probably fiber glass insulation between.

Anyway it happened and the shipyard did take responsibility for it.

Insurance company sent out an adjuster that told us to get a restoration company in.

Here is the problem the boat is a yacht and has to be perfect when finished

Any members know a restoration company that specializes in marine clean up in the Vancouver BC area?

Call Philbrooks in Sidney. It is not Vancouver but their interior boat work is exemplary. They just finished a ground up restoration on a Westport 130. Ask for Drew or Jamie.

“Here is the problem the boat is a yacht and has to be perfect when finished”

Not sure the extent of damage but you might not want that boat back. I have dealt with flooded high line autos for a good part of my life. Talk with anyone that has had a flooded home. Anything that got wet will need to be replaced. There is a lot of “stuff” on that boat. Odors show up months / years after “repairs”. Electrical issues the same. Your insurance company is well aware of what I just described. Hold their feet to the fire and Be very careful

Sorry for your misfortune.

Most insurance nowadays does not cover mold removal and subsequent damage. I would want a signed waiver that will allow you to claim any hidden damage and remediation that may be needed in the future. If the caroets have been wet that long, I would want them replaced also. Don’t accept any less than you had before the loss.

I cannot really help with recommendations of yards but it will take more than just heat to dry your boat out with that amount of water.
Several dehumidifiers set in various areas will be needed along with the heat especially at this time of year..

Are you a member of any Y.C. in the Vancouver area? Often there are some extremely knowledgeable owners and Y.C. staff who also may have some thoughts.

I was thinking about Fraser Fiberglass at Lynnwood or Bracewell/Blackline. But I do not know if they can handle this.

I was thinking about Fraser Fiberglass at Lynnwood or Bracewell/Blackline. But I do not know if they can handle this.

Fraser Fibreglass would be my suggestion as well, and if they don’t do the work, they would be able suggest some other outfit. It won’t be cheap though.

Also agree with the suggestion of dehumidifiers.

Jim

The flooding story sounds odd to me. If water backed up on deck due to plugged drains, wouldn't it then flow out of the scuppers before rising high enough to flood into the salon? Could there have been a different cause, like someone leaving water running, or a leak or something? What work was the yard performing on the boat? I'm also having a hard time envisioning dust in the air plugging drains. Are you confident that the story is plausible?

If the yard was replacing all the thruhulls, wouldn't that have included those for the deck drains? Wouldn't they have had to plug those drain lines to remove and replace the thruhulls? This whole story doesn't sound right.

And I hate to say it, but I think you are looking at gutting all floors, walls, and ceilings that have been soaking in water. Even of you get it dry at this point, you will have mold growing like crazy in the future in the inside of all the walls and floors. Water dripping from the ER ceiling means the floor above is saturated, all the way through the sound insulation to the ceiling panels. And that boat probably has some sort of floating floor for sound proofing, so all sorts of gaps between layers.

I'm with Twisted Tree, this amount of water ingress doesn't speak very highly of the boat. Look for the real cause of the leak, insufficient scuppers? Too few drains? Too small drains? Get a survey and file insurance claims and threaten the yard. In their care, its their dime.

If you open the door and it smells mouldy, you are in BIG trouble.

Last edited:
there were two deck drains 1 1/2 inch each but there were strainer baskets the just drop in ---holes in baskets are 1/4 inch.
the fibers that plugged them were from an operation next door

We have decided to have a remediation company come in first.
remove carpet and get surveyors in.
thanks for everyone help
Shipyard and insurance companies have been great

there were two deck drains 1 1/2 inch each but there were strainer baskets the just drop in ---holes in baskets are 1/4 inch.
the fibers that plugged them were from an operation next door

Is there no other deck drainage? What if you took a wave into the cockpit in bad weather? I'm surprised there are no freeing ports or scuppers for quick, large scale drainage.

The boat is 92 feet long and built for PNW coastal cruising grounds
it was never built for blue water
if we were hit with a wave that big it would drain through the rope cleats fitting
they are 4 inches above deck (x 6) and the door sills were 3 inches off deck .
Upper deck does have deck spill over drains if we had 25 + foot waves breaking over the ship

Was the boat blocked so that the decks had a slight pitch so they would drain? Some yards just block the keel to be level, since that is much easier and quicker, and then the decks don't sit like they do when the boat is floating. But surely they know that?

The boat is 92 feet long and built for PNW coastal cruising grounds
it was never built for blue water
if we were hit with a wave that big it would drain through the rope cleats fitting
they are 4 inches above deck (x 6) and the door sills were 3 inches off deck .
Upper deck does have deck spill over drains if we had 25 + foot waves breaking over the ship

Bummer about the damage but if the rope cleat fitting is 4 inches up and door sills are 3 you are still getting wet and obviously it doesn't need waves to cause issues.

I'd get out the diamond blade and run some scuppers at deck level if it was me and get rid of the strainer baskets so as this issue can't happen again.

Sea Q, are Westport Yacht Builders of no help?

No disrespect intended but the detailed information in the original post could be a red flag for any prospective future buyers? Not unlike a sunk or hurricane boat.

Would it not be wise to pare it back some?

Sea Q, are Westport Yacht Builders of no help?

No disrespect intended but the detailed information in the original post could be a red flag for any prospective future buyers? Not unlike a sunk or hurricane boat.

Would it not be wise to pare it back some?

That’s right Jigger “pare it back some” so that he or the insurance company can stick it on someone else. How about letting the insurance company total it and pay him what he is due. That’s what they got paid for. If it were an automobile in the U.S. it would be assigned a salvage title so that any future buyer was aware of the previous damage. Not sure how boats are handled in Canada.

“No disrespect intended?” “ a red flag for any future buyers” Your morals amaze me. You are on the wrong forum.

Eastng, your comprehension skills need upgrading.

That boat could be restored to better than new but the information and concerns posted here, on a forever internet forum, could be detrimental in future.

That"s all I said

Jigger
You may find tracing the DNA of a Westport McQueen interesting.

Sunchaser, thank you but, I’m not sure why I would want to do that when my concerns are for the owner of Sea Q.

The descriptors in posts 1, 9 and 10 are enough to frighten anyone who comes across them 5-10 years from now.

Post 1: “I was in the engine room below when we splashed it and there was still water dripping from ceiling “special”.
So we took it back to its shed and turned the heat up to dry the carpets.
4 days later we went down the boat and found the carpets still wet
Carpets are stained and wood walls and chairs are showing black stains creeping up the oak.
I also worry about the plywood flooring and the engine room ceiling and there is probably fiber glass insulation between.’

Post 9: “And I hate to say it, but I think you are looking at gutting all floors, walls, and ceilings that have been soaking in water. Even of you get it dry at this point, you will have mold growing like crazy in the future in the inside of all the walls and floors. Water dripping from the ER ceiling means the floor above is saturated, all the way through the sound insulation to the ceiling panels.”

Post 10: “this amount of water ingress doesn't speak very highly of the boat. If you open the door and it smells mouldy, you are in BIG trouble.”

Even Easting in post 4 said the owner “might not want that boat back.”

Over and over we are told to be careful about posting stuff on social media because it can take on a life of its own.

I am not throwing anyone under the bus here, just being observant and cautionary.

We are not talking about a 40 year old Taiwan trawler with depreciation long exhausted and a current value of 50k. The issue is, the owner of Sea Q is looking for a reputable yard to do an extensive interior remediation or refit, on a luxury yacht. Enough said on the internet.

Philbrooks and Delta in Sidney are good suggestions.

I'd also check with Pacific Yacht Management in Seattle, Delta in Seattle, and Platypus in Port Angeles.

Boats do not come with very many labels, hence the requirement or strong assertion to seek a surveyor whenever you think of buying a boat. As to the future value of this boat, it’s future value is entirely dependent upon what a prospective buyer will pay for it and is entirely unreasonable to think that it’s got any value at all unless that happens. The cost of buying it was sunk when you handed over the cheque.

All great sugestions

All very helpful, but did not answer your original question.
Belfor Restoration is the largest property restorer in the world. They have several branches in BC and a large one in Vancouver. Their technical center is in Surrey where they have 100’s of dehumidifiers, including the decicant ones that get down to 2-3% relative humidity. They do vacuum freeze drying of documents and a lot of technology and processes that can help. They are not cheap.

You’ve also got
West Bay Shipyards Ltd.
8295 River Road
Delta, B.C.
V4G 1B4
danny@west-bay.com

They’re a custom builder of yachts your size and do service as well. We’ve used them for 5 years and highly recommend them.

But back to the point;.....just call Drew Irwin at Philbrooks. You won't be disappointed.

You’ve also got

West Bay Shipyards Ltd.

8295 River Road

Delta, B.C.

V4G 1B4

danny@west-bay.com

They’re a custom builder of yachts your size and do service as well. We’ve used them for 5 years and highly recommend them.

That’s a great place to start as the vessel is moored in the lower mainland. They build Sonship yachts.

WRT the scuppers, I’d have those addressed at same time.

Jim

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom