Charts for Australia - Cmap or Navionics?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Insequent

Guru
Site Team
Vessel Name
Insequent
Vessel Make
Ocean Alexander 50 Mk I
I have been using Cmap charts most of the last 6 years on a Time Zero display, and am generally happy with them. I also have their satellite photos, and although they are OK for the coast they are hit or miss for the islands and outer reef areas, and not particularly good resolution. Google Maps is far better for satellite pics, but is not integrated with the chartplotter.

Now TZ have advised that there is an updated Navionics chart available, although 'it is not inexpensive'! I'm curious whether anyone using Navionics can comment on them, or even compare to Cmap if you have both.

For the insignificant cost of Navtronics and a iPad or such its a no brainier to have a portable reliable stand alone back up. Comparison ?? Navtronics is updated weekly ?? Cmaps ? I also think Navtronics is more user friendly

We used Navionics to cruse OZ in 2016 and found it to be awesome. Far more detail and more updated than the CMAP charts on our PC. For instance, Bundaberg had its river completely changed by flooding the year before we were there and the chart was already update to show the new course of the river and all the new nav aid positions.

And yeah, it was WAY spendy, but for us it took us all the way through NZ and OZ so was a deal for us.

Last edited:
For the insignificant cost of Navtronics and a iPad or such its a no brainier to have a portable reliable stand alone back up. Comparison ?? Navtronics is updated weekly ?? Cmaps ? I also think Navtronics is more user friendly

Navtronics? You mean Navionics? The iPad app is "Boating Australia & NZ HD" isn't it? Fairly average reviews particularly the older ones, not sure if it has improved or not. Like some other apps they want an annual subscription payment as well. Not very appealing.

I have plenty of backup - iSailor on iPad is OK, but not as detailed as I would like. I can also move the chartplotter from my RIB to helm of Insequent (power cable already installed).

I would want to use it as my main Nav package.

We used Navionics to cruse OZ in 2016 and found it to be awesome. Far more detail and more updated than the CMAP charts on our PC. For instance, Bundaberg had its river completely changed by flooding the year before we were there and the chart was already update to show the new course of the river and all the new nav aid positions.

And yeah, it was WAY spendy, but for us it took us all the way through NZ and OZ so was a deal for us.

Interesting! How old were the Cmap charts? What is the Navionics detail like for the Outer Reef areas? Pic shows the Heralds Prong No 2 reef area I was at a few weeks ago. The green area is just an envelope of the area where shallow reef occurs. The Google maps sat image shows a lot more detail. Would you be able to post a Navionics screenshot of this area?

Attachments

• Herlds Prong No 2 chart.jpg
    Herlds Prong No 2 chart.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 47
  • Heralds Prong No 2 sat.jpg
    Heralds Prong No 2 sat.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 39
Two things:
I've noticed with C-Map that sometimes in their transition from close-in to out, they display that overview with no detail. Not sure if it's a rendering issue with Coastal Explorer or inherent in C-Map. But in any case, IN CE if i continue to zoom in, high resolution returns.
I like C-Map for the cost.
I like Navionics for a tablet, NOT for a MFD, because they are too expensive. But for a tablet, they are a no brainer at $50 to 70 US.

Think of using it that way.

Richard
I have not observed that zoom issue using TZ Navigator v3 and C-Map.

Navionics have a chart viewer online (Navionics Web API). I have just used it to view areas I have recently cruised, and while it is OK I noticed that in places its inferior to C-Map. What I am unsure of is whether the online chart I'm looking at is the same as the expensive-to-purchase MFD version. Do you know?

Back
Top Bottom