Bering Steel Expedition Yachts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Congrats Fonster. Is vessel stabilized, what engine and range?

Great looking boat, Fonster! Welcome to TF.

Show us more...

Always liked the look of Berings....Stout, seaworthy looking...

Fonster is un-stabilized, but weighing in at over 68Tons she has natural stability.
Powered by a Cummins QSL9 @ 285HP with a 60HP wing.
Range is 3000 ~ 4000 Nm @ 7~8 Kn.
Prepping for a 2 year cruise to Australian top end and Indonesia due June 2019.

Fonster is un-stabilized, but weighing in at over 68Tons she has natural stability.
Powered by a Cummins QSL9 @ 285HP with a 60HP wing.
Range is 3000 ~ 4000 Nm @ 7~8 Kn.
Prepping for a 2 year cruise to Australian top end and Indonesia due June 2019.

Dave, sounds like a great trip..enjoy every minute, I’m sure the Bering will keep you safe and sound...:thumb:

Thank you, I plan to set up a blog or something to document the trip.
Cheers Dave

As an old thread has now had a "yep" posted, an update on Bering. They've really moved into larger boats. So far this year they've started construction on a 107, with no indication that it's sold, but also started a 145' that they do indicate is sold and showing another in build. I don't know the actual role of Bering vs. the yard but it's definitely significant and a change of direction for them. They are offering 4 models over 100'. Also, a 92' in production. So a lot of press releases recently.

Bering v Norhdavn

I seem to remember a thread discussing Bering v Nordhavn but I can't find it. Maybe it was on another forum.

I'd be interested in any opinions. I don't have one because I don't know enough to have an informed one.

I seem to remember a thread discussing Bering v Nordhavn but I can't find it. Maybe it was on another forum.

I'd be interested in any opinions. I don't have one because I don't know enough to have an informed one.

That would be interesting. First, as to the companies. Nordhavn with decades of experience and proof of their ability building in China and great continuity including survival during the great recession. Started in the US by Americans. Early boats were in the 40's in length and have grown from there but attempt at 120 was not a successful undertaking and remain sub 100'. Bering, headquartered in a home in the Raleigh, NC area and building now in Turkey. Started by a Russian in the US. Started in the mid 60's in length and had very few builds for years but have now grown to builds in the 100'+ range.

Materials. Nordhavn was a leader in fiberglass passagemaking. Bering produces steel hulls.

Target customer. Nordhavn's initial target was the US customer and have continued with success there and some in Europe and Asia. Bering did target the US customer but without great success. Now many of their customers are Russian and Eastern European. While Nordhavn's focus is sub 100' and not the "Yacht" market, Bering's focused has moved up and they are definitely moving toward the high end Yacht market. Nordhavn has mostly been owner/operator and Bering is moving toward the crewed yacht level.

Nordhavn has a history of building passage making boats. Some has been highly publicized and has overrated their capabilities by making it seem no one else's boats were equally capable. Others have proven to be. Nordhavn also is not known for delivery on time or trouble free or quick commissioning, but their customer knows them, likes dealing with them, accepts that as part of it.

Bering has less history, but nothing appears to dispute the capabilities of their boats. In terms of true passage making, steel still has some advantages over fiberglass in the minds of most. However, we still don't have long track records of their current factories they use or their management of production. I couldn't tell you what to expect in terms of scheduling or issues after delivery, that's neither good nor bad, just unknown. Part of that is the majority of builds not to the US and not to areas most of us have a lot of contacts.

Bering has turned away from competition with Nordhavn. Their smaller boats would compete with Nordhavn's largest. Instead they're now targeting the other builders of steel hulls throughout Europe and doing so at lower price points by building in Turkey. They're the discounters to all those others and Turkey has a history of good workmanship. With previous Turkey builders the main criticism has been styling and design. Vicem has been there for decades but now there are supposedly 107 builders in Turkey.

With Nordhavn, everything is mostly known. Bering does involve the unknown. What happens during a recession? How dependable are they? How trustworthy? I just don't know those answers while I know so much about Nordhavn, both the good and the bad.

I think if you want a passagemaker in the 50-85' range, Nordhavn's an excellent option and proven in that range. However, if you're looking for steel in the 65' and up range, as far up as 145', and you're not willing to pay Dutch or German prices, then Bering is worthy of consideration.

That would be interesting. First, as to the companies. Nordhavn with decades of experience and proof of their ability building in China and great continuity including survival during the great recession. Started in the US by Americans. Early boats were in the 40's in length and have grown from there but attempt at 120 was not a successful undertaking and remain sub 100'. Bering, headquartered in a home in the Raleigh, NC area and building now in Turkey. Started by a Russian in the US. Started in the mid 60's in length and had very few builds for years but have now grown to builds in the 100'+ range.

Materials. Nordhavn was a leader in fiberglass passagemaking. Bering produces steel hulls.

Target customer. Nordhavn's initial target was the US customer and have continued with success there and some in Europe and Asia. Bering did target the US customer but without great success. Now many of their customers are Russian and Eastern European. While Nordhavn's focus is sub 100' and not the "Yacht" market, Bering's focused has moved up and they are definitely moving toward the high end Yacht market. Nordhavn has mostly been owner/operator and Bering is moving toward the crewed yacht level.

Nordhavn has a history of building passage making boats. Some has been highly publicized and has overrated their capabilities by making it seem no one else's boats were equally capable. Others have proven to be. Nordhavn also is not known for delivery on time or trouble free or quick commissioning, but their customer knows them, likes dealing with them, accepts that as part of it.

Bering has less history, but nothing appears to dispute the capabilities of their boats. In terms of true passage making, steel still has some advantages over fiberglass in the minds of most. However, we still don't have long track records of their current factories they use or their management of production. I couldn't tell you what to expect in terms of scheduling or issues after delivery, that's neither good nor bad, just unknown. Part of that is the majority of builds not to the US and not to areas most of us have a lot of contacts.

Bering has turned away from competition with Nordhavn. Their smaller boats would compete with Nordhavn's largest. Instead they're now targeting the other builders of steel hulls throughout Europe and doing so at lower price points by building in Turkey. They're the discounters to all those others and Turkey has a history of good workmanship. With previous Turkey builders the main criticism has been styling and design. Vicem has been there for decades but now there are supposedly 107 builders in Turkey.

With Nordhavn, everything is mostly known. Bering does involve the unknown. What happens during a recession? How dependable are they? How trustworthy? I just don't know those answers while I know so much about Nordhavn, both the good and the bad.

I think if you want a passagemaker in the 50-85' range, Nordhavn's an excellent option and proven in that range. However, if you're looking for steel in the 65' and up range, as far up as 145', and you're not willing to pay Dutch or German prices, then Bering is worthy of consideration.

Which Dutch or German builders should I look in to?

60 to 80 ocean crossing with minimal crew.

I can't think of any Dutch or German builders who I'd recommend in that range. They're just not building ocean crossing boats that small. Turkey, China, and Taiwan would appear to be the ways to turn.

I think I found my boat - Fleming 85.

That said, I'd welcome any comments as to the bad side of this boat.

.... And I don't see a builders forum for these boats.

Last edited:
I can't think of any Dutch or German builders who I'd recommend in that range. They're just not building ocean crossing boats that small. Turkey, China, and Taiwan would appear to be the ways to turn.

The Fleming 85 has my attention. I don't see any builders forum for these. The only thing I can find are accolades. I hope to find some comments both happy and sad about these boats.

I too am a "buy American" type, but I would not rule out Taiwan made boats such as the Flemings or Krogens and many other high quality established brands. Plus, Taiwan deserves our support. I am automatically suspicious of anything from mainland China, so would need to do some intensive due diligence just as we do when sourcing other products from there (I'm in the electronics business).

I think I found my boat - Fleming 85.

That said, I'd welcome any comments as to the bad side of this boat.

.... And I don't see a builders forum for these boats.

I'd suggest taking this to another thread and out of the Bering one. However, I think a Fleming 85 merits consideration as do Ocean Reef, Selene, Hampton, Horizon, Cheoy Lee and others, along with Nordhavn and Bering.

Hi from Germany, if you want steel or aluminium there are many yards who can built within the required length of 60 to 80 ft. Actually they are doing it since long but people are not so often use them, the like to cruise arround europe , the baltic and the Med so actually crossing to the us or pacific is not highest on the list. Here Nordhavn are nor so familiar because GRP is per se not the choice of european going ocean. Dutch boat builders are perfect in steel but more one off boats, nor mass production. We do this with Beneteau , Bavaria, Hanse etc but Motorboats is a different story.

artnautica.eu
vryburg.nl
Altena yard
Korvet
Elling

Selene/Nordhav, Krogen are not that common here
Dutch builders are not as good as HN in marketing but i believe better in shipbuilding, but expensiv.....

As an old thread has now had a "yep" posted, an update on Bering. They've really moved into larger boats. So far this year they've started construction on a 107, with no indication that it's sold, but also started a 145' that they do indicate is sold and showing another in build. I don't know the actual role of Bering vs. the yard but it's definitely significant and a change of direction for them. They are offering 4 models over 100'. Also, a 92' in production. So a lot of press releases recently.

Bering has currently 8 vessels in build for clients. 4 of them, B70, B76, B77 and B92 will be launched this year and B106, B117 and 2 x B145 will be delivered the consecutive years.

Bering is located within the Antalya free trade zone, the major maritime hub in this area, and perfected its operations and quality control over the years. Turkey is known for its craftsmanship and yacht quality and it has invested significantly over the years.

Bering's fleet has cruised more than 100,000 nm around the world and they pride themselves to build very capable, safe and seaworthy vessels. There is still a strong focus on vessels below 100'. The yachts below 24 meters are developed and are built to be practical, functional and most of all owners-operator-friendly.

Currently, Bering is expanding with its own sales offices to the US, Europe and Russia. The clients can't be labelled to be Russians and Eastern Europeans only, as the are currently vessels in build for Europe, US and Asia.

I saw topics about Bering Yachts and was interested in them.

Last edited:
I find this company very interesting and it is a good business.

I find your comment that it is a good business to be very suspect. Perhaps you can elaborate.

I know several people who were heavily involved with Bering from the outset from broker to supporter by news publication. Two have had bills now not paid by Bering. Bering has repeatedly spammed boating websites with their own representatives or friends posting. Just keep in mind that their international headquarters is a home in Cary, NC. I also know an experienced Captain who looked recently at a 2013 model and was extremely disappointed in the craftsmanship. However, that boat was not built where they are now.

I'd just be very wary of the older ones and I'd be wary of the company today. Be careful. As always, if buying used, then survey, survey, survey. If buying new, I'd recommend a builder with a better current reputation in the industry. When you have both brokers and publishers claiming not to have been paid, that's not a good image. Nor is it when periodically there are efforts to promote the brand on forums that come, not from owners, but employees and friends.

Excellent first two posts. Not at all suspicious. A completely impartial endorsement of the company.

Don't be so suspicious. Why next thing you might point out is that his profile shows him in Ashburn, Arizona, which would be Ashburn Mountain. However, perhaps in his haste, he also put a zip code which is for Ashburn, Virginia. However, I'm sure many of us don't know our state or zip code. My normal state is one of Confusion and I think our zip code is 00000 or similar. I'm just cautioning that I'm sure Karl has a logical explanation. I have no idea about the F4, but then maybe English isn't their first language.

It's sort of like this statement on Bering's site where you sign up for their newsletter. "Useful articles for yacht lovers! No spam. We only send important things."

You buy or build a specific boat. Not a brand nor a model. But a specific boat. On the support side brand becomes important as even new builds will require aftermarket support. During our new build we did ask (and received) detailed reviews of what was done. We had a performance contract. We didn’t get surveys at each stage but some do. It’s your money. Spend it wisely.

You buy or build a specific boat. Not a brand nor a model. But a specific boat. On the support side brand becomes important as even new builds will require aftermarket support. During our new build we did ask (and received) detailed reviews of what was done. We had a performance contract. We didn’t get surveys at each stage but some do. It’s your money. Spend it wisely.

The big difference between new and used is that on used, it is what it is, you can get it surveyed and sea trial it and you're no longer dependent on the builder. On new, you're dependent on the builder to, 1-do the job contracted for, 2-perform warranty service, and 3-be financially stable and trustworthy enough to not leave you hanging out to dry.

Number 3 can be the most difficult sometimes to ascertain and to protect yourself from. When the corporate is headquartered in one country, the owners are from another, the yard is in another as is the case with Bering and many others then any issues integrity are frightening. If you think it can't happen to you, then just ask all they yacht buyers who have had to buy the builder to get their boat completed. Ask those including manufacturers who had boats being built by Christensen, or many left having to try to collect from Northern or Kakawi buyers with Marlow or TT35 buyers with Mirage or Sunseeker buyers with Rick Obey. It can be as severe as the builder going out of business or as simple as you reach the end and suddenly a long list of extra charges and you've paid the contracted amount but you want the boat, you'll pay these charges or else you can try to sue and wait.

We only buy new, but we do so knowing there are a lot of extra perils in doing so.

...You buy or build a specific boat. Not a brand nor a model....

I'm not sure. You have to take a lot on faith and trust when you buy new I would think. Do they teach their employees to cust costs and save time, or be thorough ? Do they encourage production workers to speak up when they notice things ? Are they deadline driven or process driven, etc. When you get a new boat you don't know if the adhesive has a nice continuous bead at the deck to hull joint or if it was haphazardly applied because the applicator was in a rush. I think when those questions pop into your head in 6 foot seas and 40 knot winds you have to fall back on: "Company X has built hundreds of boats and has been doing it long enough that my boat is going to be OK". You don't want to be asking yourself if your boat manufacturer is the nautical equivalent of the Edsel.

Back
Top Bottom