Going up and down west coast

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In many ways the 4788 is a great boat for that trip as you have the speed available to make the hops when you have a short weather window.

A few more thoughts...

I should have also said the USCG was very helpful! I called or radioed each station before leaving and entering to inquire about local bar conditions. They were very helpful. Listen to their warnings. Ask questions.

One other caveat is to watch out for stuff like crab pots, debris, other boats, etc. many days, for at least a part, we had limited visibility. Maintaining a good watch is essential in my opinion. We came within 30-40yards of T boning a gray whale crossing right in front of us! That sucker was hugh!

We picked up a crab pot in the Suislau River after crossing the bar. The current had sucked the float under and we did not see it. They were everywhere right in the middle of a fairly narrow channel. Fortunately I reacted by pulling the throttles back and tranny’s into neutral quickly enough that we were able to clear it. I still went for a swim when we got to the dock to check. Cold water with a shortly wetsuit. Wish I would have had a full wetsuit, hood and a weight belt or better yet one of those cameras on a flexible cable!

When crossing a bar, lay off for a bit if you can to observe the wave sets. Some are bigger, some are smaller. Try to follow and ride the back of the wave. Once committed I wouldn’t want to try and turn around if there was much of a sea.

Krogen 39 as an option

You might want to consider a Krogen 39 with stabilizers. The boat is a great couples boat and is a long range cruiser. Up to over 4000 miles at 6 knots. It is close to the size range you are interested in and is economical to operate.
If you want to go above the 40 ft size you mention, there are a great many Krogen 42's that are less expensive than the 39 and have two cabins.
The interior is roomy, the engine room is huge and it has walk-around covered decks that make arrivals and departures easy and safe on your first mate.

I would suggest keeping the boat in the PNW and renting another down south. As with most of these replies, you can have the snot kicked out of you or you can have a lovely time. If the former, you will probably not want to bring the boat back, because it will probably be worse. Good luck

Best Advice I've heard...

The best advice I have ever heard on this subject was from an experienced cruiser who spoke at our Seattle TrawlerPort one year.

He said the key is to not think of it as one 10-day trip, but rather think of it as 10 day trips, spaced out to await great weather windows. It will take longer but is way safer and more comfortable.

Mainship 390

Short answer to the OP question - yes, the Mainship 390 is a sturdy, seaworthy coastal cruiser. The PO did the Baja-ha-ha multiple times, as well as countless offshore excursions since I’ve had her. They are popular Loop boats on the East Coast. Tankage is 300 gallons. I don’t want to quote an exact range without pulling up some notes, but at displacement speeds, it does well. At a fast cruise of 11 - 12 kts, range is well over 200 miles if my memory still serves me. (Range is never an issue on my trips, so haven’t paid attention in quite a while) Mine has twins and regularly tops out at 16 kts, and hits 17 if conditions are right. So, you can scoot when you need. I normally run her around 7 - 8 kts. Not infrequently I’ll run her at 11 - 12 kts which is when she’s “out of the hole” and planing. Much more comfortable at that speed with reduced rolling from swells. I hope this helps.

Edit: All the other info regarding west coast passage making in previous posts applies!

Last edited:
Ton of great info in this thread. I wasn’t aware of the tow lanes. I find San Diego to be shockingly expensive for moorage. Plus weirdly security conscious. It took three days and a credit check to be allowed to rent a slip and you need to have your boat inspected in order to get a permit to drop anchor. I’m not saying it’s wrong, just not what I’m used to. Portland is a great place to tie up and a terrific value, tax haven too, but it’s a long way from anywhere and rivers get old fast. Just my opinion. Seattle is pretty great and still cheaper than San Diego. We ran from Tofino BC to San Francisco non stop then San Fran to San Diego via San Miguel and Catalina in August. Pretty good weather, mostly. I’m not sure I’d want to do it in a semi-displacement unstabilized boat. No problems for us but another N-46 on the same route a few weeks behind us hit a tree causing serious damage. Bad enough at 6.5 knots. I hate to think of that sort of collision miles offshore, and I’d want to be miles offshore for the reasons previously mentioned, at planing speeds.

What the OP is planning is Exactly my plan. I have the exact same boat as Woodsea posted above, a Bayliner 4788

My plan is south in the fall, and north in the spring. summers north and winters as far south as La Paz possibly.

To be honest I just do not see it as a problem in my boat, and I do not see it as a problem for any Coastal Cruiser.

As Woodsea posted, it’s not a long jpurney, it’s a series of day trips. If you are retired there is no schedule. You wait in port for a optimum weather window and you move to the next port.

People talk in generalities about weather, wind and waves, but in reality these conditions change by the day, and by the time of day. Here is a great for example. My slip mate told me that “you should never cross the gulf of Alaska after August 15th” and people believe that kind of generality.

In reality I have studied the gulf of Alaska weather for years and can tell you that you can find weather windows every month of the year. Yes there are situations where a series of storms make travel impossible fore a week or 10 days at a time, then you will find a nice weather window to make your crossing.

This is the same anywhere in the world I suppose.

My opinon is that a person with no schedule can go whereever they want as long as they are willing to stay in port and be happy doing that while they wait for a weather window.

Every boat story I have heard of (or experienced) with really bad weather was someone that had a schedule to meet and made decisions to venture from port to meet that schedule. Retirees do not do that. There is no need to move except boredom. One port is pretty much as good as another for the most part.

Last edited:
Coastal Cruising West Coast

We were full-time liveaboards and did four round trips on the west coast. With trips in Canada and Alaska, and two that included Mexico. We had a trawler that cruised an average of 7.8 knots. That said, if we got with the currents or had winds on our stern the speed picked up nicely.

Check out my blog. www.mvdesertventure.com. There's several blogs posts dealing just with the voyages. You can hop from one port to another, but we often found we had 30 something hour windows and did overnight voyages.

There's a page on weather planning you might find helpful.

Speed of yacht really is the decision factor when you're working with weather windows. Yes, the boat can take more than you can, generally. But, why put your boat and crew at risk? Being retired, we never had a schedule. And, if you read my blog, you'll see that the most dangerous thing, in our opinion, is a schedule.

Good luck, boat shopping!

Good thread. Let’s it keep it that way.

DaveO, SD is more security sensitive. it’s proximity to the Border being the primary reason. Regarding slips, agree, they are expensive, but about average for SoCal. If you want expensive, try Newport. 2 to 3 X. Mooring Balls: there are three areas, and one is for traveling cruisers which I believe you are referring to. Some of the travelers, and locals who have permanent balls, have pumped their black tanks overboard. It’s a problem. This is also a place where boats go to die, so they are trying to get ahead of that problem. Not saying you are any of the above, just explaining why the added security and precautions are taken.

Ah the border, I honestly hadn’t even considered that, thought it was related to the military presence. While whining about the high cost I should have added that, compared to the PNW, the beautiful weather in San Diego is worth every penny! Again, just imo.

To be honest I just do not see it as a problem in my boat, and I do not see it as a problem for any Coastal Cruiser.

As Woodsea posted, it’s not a long jpurney, it’s a series of day trips. If you are retired there is no schedule. You wait in port for a optimum weather window and you move to the next port.

I don't disagree with you about it being possible with any coastal cruiser, and there are a number of TF members that do it. I do think there are a lot of differences among coastal cruisers, speed being the principle one. I could make the trip in my boat but I would need larger weather windows than you would in your boat. As such, I could be stuck waiting in port much longer than you would be.

I didn't bring my prior sailboat up the coast from SoCal simply because I had to work. If I had been retired, I would have brought it up on its own bottom.

We have a Mainship 390, 300 Gallons of fuel, 8 knots 3 gallons per hour, based on this past year. like any Coastal Trawler they all hate the beam and aft quarter in a sea. we were sailors for 40 years our last boat a Bayfield 36, we hated beating and loved off the wind, the total opposite on the Trawler, loves going into the sea. we love the boat and are just care full when we go, 20knots on the beam in open water is the most we will go out in, we steer from down below in these conditions, the boat will take a lot more than you.
In protected waters with no sea, we have been out in 30knots plus, having a great time, putting her back on the dock on the other hand was indeed a challenge that day. good luck

I've been seeing pictures of the pacific coast all of my life. This thread made me realize that pictures of the pacific coast, rocks, cliffs, birds, crashing waves, were not taken from a boat.

OK, has anybody spent any time at the marinas in Ensenada? IE Hotel Coral, or Cruiseport?

OK, has anybody spent any time at the marinas in Ensenada? IE Hotel Coral, or Cruiseport?

Spent 5 months at Marina Coral in Ensenada about 15 years ago while getting ready to go south. Enjoyed the stay although it was a little far from downtown but there was a bus stop nearby as well a decent taxi service and you have full use of the hotel facilities. Downtown Ensenada has some nice restaurants, shops, supermarkets, and a great fish market (including some great fish street tacos). Cruiseport is downtown but I understand that they do not have a fuel dock.

Spent 5 months at Marina Coral in Ensenada about 15 years ago while getting ready to go south. Enjoyed the stay although it was a little far from downtown but there was a bus stop nearby as well a decent taxi service and you have full use of the hotel facilities. Downtown Ensenada has some nice restaurants, shops, supermarkets, and a great fish market (including some great fish street tacos). Cruiseport is downtown but I understand that they do not have a fuel dock.

Thanks! Ensenada s one of the places I would like to see.

A Mainship is not suitable for offshore cruising. They are fine Delta or ICW boats but without a keel and tiny rudders they track like a drunken sailor and are dangerous in a following sea.
Definitely would look at other options.

Thanks for all the thoughtful replies. I’m going to go over them with the “Owner” aka my wife.

Ken

We spent a month at Hotel Coral and loved it. A great Ex-Pat group on the dock and first class marina.

I have spent a fair amount of time in both marinas in Ensenada, both have their strong points. Coral is really nice but can suffer from surge. I spent a few nights there on the last Delivery and the staff and the restaurant is first rate. The head of security is a retired Seattle sheriff and loves the area. Great restaurants in town.

Definitely WAY less expensive than S.D .. but S.D is just about perfect..

HOLLYWOOD

A former owner of my current boat made the Canada to Mexico every year. With a big boat the trip isn't that tough. This boat is 83' with 6' of freeboard. Going north in anything other a storm is doable, but may be uncomfortable. I've done it in Small Craft and Gale warnings.

A Mainship is not suitable for offshore cruising. They are fine Delta or ICW boats but without a keel and tiny rudders they track like a drunken sailor and are dangerous in a following sea.
Definitely would look at other options.
:facepalm: :lol::lol::nonono:

I, and a whole lot of Mainship drivers would disagree with your opinion. Mine has over 3,000 hours on her motors - a significant portion of those done offshore and doing the exact type of coastal cruising the OP was asking about. Its fairly common for many SD boats to yaw in a quartering/following sea, especially at slower speeds. The M390 is hardly alone in that, nor would I consider your blanket statement that she is dangerous in a following sea to be valid. The nice thing is my ability to advance the throttles and match or exceed the swell movement. The OP did not ask if the M390 is a blue water boat. This discussion has centered around coastal cruising, with some wise caveats given regarding weather windows, river bar crossing and other great west coast specific advice. As someone who actually owns and uses their M390 offshore, I can attest first hand that she does quite well as a coastal cruiser.

:facepalm: :lol::lol::nonono:

I, and a whole lot of Mainship drivers would disagree with your opinion. Mine has over 3,000 hours on her motors - a significant portion of those done offshore and doing the exact type of coastal cruising the OP was asking about. Its fairly common for many SD boats to yaw in a quartering/following sea, especially at slower speeds. The M390 is hardly alone in that, nor would I consider your blanket statement that she is dangerous in a following sea to be valid. The nice thing is my ability to advance the throttles and match or exceed the swell movement. The OP did not ask if the M390 is a blue water boat. This discussion has centered around coastal cruising, with some wise caveats given regarding weather windows, river bar crossing and other great west coast specific advice. As someone who actually owns and uses their M390 offshore, I can attest first hand that she does quite well as a coastal cruiser.

Might depend a bit on the coast, and the weather....

^^ +1. There are places and weather on the west coast where 5 miles offshore is as bad or worse than 400 miles offshore. You can pick your weather windows but it's a bit like roulette - do it enough and you'll land on the loaded cylinder one day.

I'm somewhat reluctant to sound off on this thread, as it's a bit open-ended for my taste. But here goes!

Given the dearth of cruising literature extolling the the coastline between the northern tip of Washington State and mid-California, it should be apparent that this stretch of water is NOT a "cruising destination". In addition, a casual glance of pictures of ports of call between these locations will reveal a significant lack of pleasure boats. Both should be a clue that the notion of making a voyage in either direction along this stretch of water might be better thought of as a delivery, vs a cruise. While this is a bit of a generalization, the notion that a retiree, with no schedule, can and will be safe and comfortable on this part of the ocean, given sufficient patience and a well-found vessel, and can thus routinely venture upon these waters with impunity is naive and disingenuous. And why is that?

Well, EVERYONE has a schedule! If you've ever been stuck in Neah Bay (for instance) for a week awaiting a weather window to go southbound, when the big event for the week is a Wednesday night high school basketball game, you've visited the Cultural Center several times already, you've read every book aboard multiple times, and even the local Coasties and rescue tug crews are bored out of their gourds will convince you that the sooner you can get off this stretch of water, the better.

If you've ever had to lay over in Coos Bay on the transient dock that the locals love to crab from, leaving their beer cans and crab guts behind, and a LOOOOnnng way from anything like a town with something to entertain yourself with while waiting for some event like the prevailing howling northwesterly in the summer to lay down will provide reinforcement of that notion. If you've ever had to hike from the transient docks at Bodega Bay (again, waiting for a weather window to get around Cape Mendocino) for a dinner on the town (something like 3 miles R/T) will reinforce that notion.

I have made passages from SoCal to the PNW multiple times, aboard typical "coastal cruising powerboats", at many different times of year. I've made these trips as both multiple day-trips, and long-distance 24/7 deliveries. And they've NEVER been other than as DDW expressed it so well-a game of russian roulette. Sometimes you're the window, and sometimes you're the bug, and I've landed on the loaded cylinder several times, often multiple times during a trip. And conversely, I've had trips where there was seldom even water on the windshield. You pays your money, and you takes your chances.

Planning for a routine "north in the summer, south in the winter" snowbird gig on a pleasure boat along this coastline is certainly not for me. YMMV, and anyone is certainly welcome to have at it. But talk to the professionals that run this coastline (Pat Raines comes to mind), and heed their advice. Life's too short to practice bleeding before cruising, and I've done my share of bleeding along this particular stretch of coastline.

Regards,

Pete

^^ +1. There are places and weather on the west coast where 5 miles offshore is as bad or worse than 400 miles offshore. You can pick your weather windows but it's a bit like roulette - do it enough and you'll land on the loaded cylinder one day.

Another problem with the West coast is the fact that ports of refuge if the weather turns snotty can be closed due to bar conditions. Last time we went down the first available port was Coos Bay Oregon after rounding cape Flattery. Bit of a haul.

My husband brought our GB 42 up to Puget Sound from San Diego. He used Commander weather, one stop in Fort Bragg due to weather. Arrived with never having any water splash up on the decks. Timing. Patience. And a solid strong boat.

I like the Russian Roulette example....very much like going to sea.

Yes, there are more empty chambers (nice cruises) than the one loaded one (bad cruise).... but it's out there if you spin enough times.

Back
Top Bottom