No such thing as a free lunch?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ancora

Guru
Maybe not, but I found a free laptop nav program at OpenCPN. No match for Coastal Explorer, but it is free, complete with GPS capabilities when underway.

I used that bringing my boat home with rx mariner for back up 12$ app I think .be sure to have a charger to use underway. if you are using a usb gps make sure it is working before leaving the dock

Maybe not, but I found a free laptop nav program at OpenCPN. No match for Coastal Explorer, but it is free, complete with GPS capabilities when underway.

There's a support forum for OpenCPN on cruisersforum.com (sister site). About a million messages in it, maybe... so if you find you ever have a problem with it, you could check there for possible solutions.

-Chris

I used that bringing my boat home with rx mariner for back up 12$ app I think .

MX Mariner?

FWIW, we use MX Mariner as our "NOAA raster chart" back up app...

-Chris

I have used openCPN fir the last 7 years and 20,000 miles and wouldnt waste my time or money on anything else.

More bells and whistels elsewhere...maybe....

But OpenCPNdoes everything I need it to.

I thought everyone knew about OpenCPN!

There is also an OpenCPN Android app. Don't get the old, free one out there, it's obsolete and unsupported. The new, better, supported one is about $10. Well worth it.

Whats up with the new app?

The free ones still work on my tablet and phone just fine with the exception that tide stuff is too small on the phone.

I have used openCPN fir the last 7 years and 20,000 miles and wouldnt waste my time or money on anything else.

More bells and whistels elsewhere...maybe....

But OpenCPNdoes everything I need it to.

+1

Sorry, can't get beyond a flip-phone. :blush:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom