View Single Post
Old 01-09-2012, 08:14 AM   #46
Phil Fill
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house
RE: Need help finding full displacement boat

We might have bought a 45 ft Bayliner, if my wife had not spotted our big old ugly trawler.**We liked the lay being a pilot house and especially being a wide body not side decks which give a lot of living space.* So when my wife found the Eagle which was even bigger than the 45 Bayliner, pilot house and a wide body for ½ the amount it was her boat the first time she was on it.* I personally would have bought the Searay, which I really like or a Bayliner, but to keep the wife happy we bought the ugly old Twain trawler, *which has a lot of pro's and con's. ****
I had several concerns, one being a wide body, not side decks but quickly found that side decks where not necessary as the bow, mid and stern line were required/needed to go through the lock and/or docking. We were moored on Lake Union which required going through the locks to the Puget Sound. *However, the full beam of 13 ft made the Eagle and excellent live aboard.* My wife liked the Eagle as passengers and crew where protect/secure by the Portuguese bridge, the high solid side/stern rails and no side decks.

Weather a semi or full displacement is required depends on your cruising area and personal preference.* A sail boat sill might be the best.* Since most sail boats do not have a protect/enclosed helm, and they motor the majority of the time might not be a good choice for the rainy cold PNW?*
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote