Old 11-02-2018, 09:14 PM   #41
Crusty Chief
Guru

City: Pahrump, NV
Vessel Name: Pairadice
Vessel Model: Sold Selene 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken E. View Post
Moonfish and Crusty, an option you might consider is having your existing AC refer converted to DC. I just did this with my 12 cubic ft Kenmore AC power hog that was 15 years old. Sea Freeze in Bellingham converted it at a cost of about $2k. Haven't used it on these hook yet so actual power savings are unknown at this point.

Thanks for the tip, but we have 12VDC now and it sucks, big time. And as far as Sea Freeze is concerned, they quoted me over 4.5K and wouldn’t guarantee that it will properly cool in 85-90 degree weather. And that was just for the unit, another boat buck or more to install as they recommended the compressor be installed elsewhere. It is a nice unit, but we are looking at being in the south for the next 4-5 years. I like the Summit fridge because if it goes south on me, its an easy replace.
The “New” Norcold that we installed a year and a half ago has never worked right and we have been cruising the PNW, wife isn’t happy and I’m tired of “Expensive Marine Refrigerator” that just dont work. She allready calls me the “Power Nazi” so if the fridge works like a real fridge should, then Ill just run the Genny a bit longer to keep those Rolls batteries charged up.
Cheers Bud, but I’m going the AC route!
Crusty Chief is offline   Reply With Quote