Bye Bye Beetle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In 1967 at 16yrs. of age I traded two 10spd bicycles and a pair of ski's (without bindings) for a 1960, 1961 and 1963 beetle. I assembled the parts into one working vehicle and had a blast for the next three years.

In 2013 I bought my wife a birthday present just before she died ... a brand new beetle.

Fond memories :)

After having to ride 2 hours in the backseat of a bug with two suitcases and me all scrunched up, I never really liked the car. I think I'm the only one in the world who doesn't think they're cute.

Last edited by a moderator:
Who could forget the heater design?A kind of heat exchanger using exhaust gases as the heat source. Any rust holes in the exhaust piping sent exhaust gases into the car..oops,I feel sleepy...
Maybe Hitler intended those cars be sold into Israel. Ok ok,yes,Hitler did the decent thing, for once, and died before Israel was established.

My first car was a 1966 blue 1300 Beetle. We went everywhere together. Took a while though, 0-60(100kl) was just shy of 20 seconds if memory serves, slightly longer with a head wind.

I fondly remember the dodgy old 6volt battery under the back seat powering headlights measured in candle watt power, literally. Not to mention the windscreen washers being pressurised via the air in the spare tyre. The reserve fuel tank was operated by a manual lever on the floor, giving just enough petrol to get you home.

The handling of the car in the wet was out of this world - and so were you if you were not very very careful. Brakes, an optional extra at best.

However it gave me something no other car has ever done. My first taste of complete freedom as an 18 year old. Not having to ask mum or dad to borrow the car, with the usual homely lecture & time restrictions agreed before the keys were handed over.

I loved that car.

Last edited:
1972 Beetle, a dollar a pound, the year I graduated from college. Used to fold down the rear seat, put in a little crib mattress and the 2 kids slept all the way to Grandma’s house. Put 60k miles on it, the gas crisis hit, and I sold it for more than I paid for it. Wish I still had it.

My first car was an orange, 1965, 1200 Beetle. I bought it for $500, drove it for three years, and sold it for $600.

I remember there was about a four month period when the starter had failed, and I didn't have enough money to replace it. So I was always careful to park on a hill, so that I could roll-start it with the clutch. Even if I couldn't find a hill, if it was at least on level ground I could push it fast enough to jump in, clutch, put it in gear, let the clutch out, and get it to start.

I honestly wish I still had that car.

In the late 60s, a buddy (Fleet Marine Corpsman - RIP, George) had a beat early late 50s bug. Whenever you turned the steering wheel hard right, the horn would engage until you stopped, leapt out, and disconnected the battery - before it burned. That car would go most anywhere a Jeep could in the desert. Guess we could have fixed it, but there was beer to drink and girls to chase. Oh yeah, and that military stuff.

Greetings,
Yup. First car. 1959 Beetle. Paid $50 drove for 2 years. Currently have 1971 type 2 (van) in the garage that has been in the family for 47 years.

AIR SUCKERS RULE!!!

My first VW was a blue 1966 6 volt. Rebuilt the engine in the garage. Later, I wanted a new car but couldn't afford one so bought a 1970 floor pan, ran a new wiring harness, new fuel and brake lines, suped up a 50 hp engine until it was putting out about 110 hp, added Crager mag wheels, put a 1970 body on it with fiberglass flared fenders, new carpet and seats, and then had it painted metallic brown. Even bought a 1968 just to get the gas heater out of it and installed it in the 1970. Funny... the gas heater's electric fuel pump was bad so I bought an external electric fuel pump. Unfortunately, the external fuel pump was a bit too strong and had a tendency to flood the heater to the point that it would send flames out the exhaust every time it kicked on. Scared the hell out of an old lady in a Cadillac one night! LOL Ah, good memories.

Greetings,
Mr. JE. The stock fuel pump on the gas heaters had a tendency to flood the combustion chamber as well. Flames and if you were really lucky, a dense black smudge of smoke that enveloped the whole car. VERY surreal...

First car was a Bug inspired GM - Corvair. It was a great friend except for the couple times it tried to kill me. Later had a tdi Passat. It was no Bug or Rabbit, an amazing road machine. Rabbits were fun like Bugs. Always thought I'd have a Bug and never did. There is a local Bug shop, a guy who still earns a living spending his days with Bugs.

I had flames coming out of the engine compartment on my VW Camper bus, but it wasn't from the heater. It was from the infamous #3 cylinder blow-out.

And, it happened while I was hauling some of my fiance's sister's wedding party to the reception. I was a hit with the family after that!

First of all, I don’t know what this whole story is talkin about, the Beetle died many years ago.

My first car was a 1968 bug, it was blue, grey, rust and a few other colors and generated all the usual colorful stories, plus a few I still don’t want to talk about publicly even though I’m pretty sure the statute of limitations is long passed.

I lived with my (8 years) older brother and his family through high school. In 1966 I got my license and was allowed to use his old 1956 VW, but only when they were around. They were out of town a lot. Three pieces of wire, four alligator clips, a toggle switch, and a dis-connected speedo cable and I was in business. Like sbu22, when it turned hard right the lights would go out. I learned how to do handbrake turns in the snow in a large parking lot with that car. If someone heavy sat in the rear seat, the seat springs would short out the battery. Boy was that VW fun.

My best friend and I went in halves on a late 50's bug while just out of high school in about 1984. The wiring was totally wonky, turn on the blinker and the brights would come on, stuff like that. Pretty good background for trawler wiring now that I think about it.

We needed a stereo, so we taped/screwed/strapped a modern head unit in the dash and put speakers on the rear dash. But it was 12V and the car was 6V, so we just kept a charged up group 27 on the back seat and ran the wires forward to the dash. When the Lynyrd Skynyrd or Buffett stopped playing we knew it was time to charge up the battery with my dad's trolling motor charger.

Floor pans were so rusted out that if you pulled back the carpet you could see the road passing under your feet.

As mentioned above, it was amazingly good in the soft sand on the beach, and would do multiple 360s in a wet parking lot if you pulled the hand brake.

In the end, we ran it off of a 4 wheeler jump way back in an orange grove, and did severe damage to the suspension. We just took off the plates and walked away from it. Never saw it again.

My first car was a used green Beetle probably 4 yrs old when I bought it in 1968

My best friend and I went in halves on a late 50's bug while just out of high school in about 1984. The wiring was totally wonky, turn on the blinker and the brights would come on, stuff like that. Pretty good background for trawler wiring now that I think about it.

We needed a stereo, so we taped/screwed/strapped a modern head unit in the dash and put speakers on the rear dash. But it was 12V and the car was 6V, so we just kept a charged up group 27 on the back seat and ran the wires forward to the dash. When the Lynyrd Skynyrd or Buffett stopped playing we knew it was time to charge up the battery with my dad's trolling motor charger.

Floor pans were so rusted out that if you pulled back the carpet you could see the road passing under your feet.

As mentioned above, it was amazingly good in the soft sand on the beach, and would do multiple 360s in a wet parking lot if you pulled the hand brake.

In the end, we ran it off of a 4 wheeler jump way back in an orange grove, and did severe damage to the suspension. We just took off the plates and walked away from it. Never saw it again.

We called those big wheel turns.

Was careening down the road one day and saw a humongous puddle, so of course thought it would be funny to big splash through it. I look over and my buddy is up to his waist in water due to the floor blowing out. The next weekend was my first ever fiberglass experience.

We had a 1500 Beetle. My wife's car. One day I was dreaming and ran up the back of a Ford Mondeo. Wrote the Ford off. Towed the Bug home, cut off the front with an angle grinder, welded a second hand nose on with second hand guards and bonnet and resprayed it. All done on the front lawn. Used the car for years after, and finally sold it for more than we had paid.
An excellent example of a fairly minimalist vehicle.

Back
Top Bottom