Aren't modern electronics great?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JustBob

Vessel Name
Mahalo
Vessel Make
2018 Hampton Endurance 658
In the old days, when we just had a dial on the vhf, you had to try to remember what the channels were for. Sure, we all know 16. And you probably know 13 is for commercial traffic. But what about all the others?

With modern LCD displays, it sure makes it easy.

Attachments

• 69pleasure-102303.jpg
    69pleasure-102303.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 147
Our first VHF had maybe six channels on it, depending on the crystals it happened to have.

We only had CB for a few years. Our first VHF was a Ray Jefferson six channel radio the size of a toaster oven. Ch 06, 13, 16, 26, 28, and 68. Bottom line was EVERYONE was on 68. And CG gave radio checks.

Just Bob, I see what you did there.:socool:

In the old days, when we just had a dial on the vhf, you had to try to remember what the channels were for. Sure, we all know 16. And you probably know 13 is for commercial traffic. But what about all the others?

With modern LCD displays, it sure makes it easy.

9 for bridges.

On my other boat, I had an engraved sign at the steering station.... covering the common stations. I guess I will have to come up with the sign again for this boat. SHRUG
16, 9, 13. What am I missing? The port captain? 22A? Weather reports?
As I recall, radio checks are now automated. I forgot the channel too.

Last edited:
Good one Bob, fun with numbers ? I missed it too.

9 for bridges.

On my other boat, I had an engraved sign at the steering station.... covering the common stations. I guess I will have to come up with the sign again for this boat. SHRUG
16, 9, 13. What am I missing? The port captain? 22A? Weather reports?
As I recall, radio checks are now automated. I forgot the channel too.

13 is for bridges North Carolina and North.

22 is a reserved channel for the USCG to talk to civians.

WX has it's own channels....up to 10 now I think.

13 is for bridges North Carolina and North.

22 is a reserved channel for the USCG to talk to civians.

WX has it's own channels....up to 10 now I think.

What's 69 for? And do you someone on the receiving end to respond?

I always feel dirty when requesting another boat to switch to 69.

I'm glad some of you got it!

Out here it's 16 for USCG, 14 for locks, 13 for bridges and 68 for BS'ing with other boats. I put together a sheet in Excel that lists all of the phone numbers, VHF channels and call signs for the local locks and bridges. I had a bunch of them made and have given them out to members of our club who actually use their boats and venture up and down the river.

It's a handy thing to have on the helm and, being laminated, water doesn't affect it. The two listings at the bottom are our frequent fuel stops and overnight stops when we cruise.

Radio_Call_Signs.jpg

Out here it's 16 for USCG, 14 for locks, 13 for bridges and 68 for BS'ing with other boats. I put together a sheet in Excel that lists all of the phone numbers, VHF channels and call signs for the local locks and bridges. I had a bunch of them made and have given them out to members of our club who actually use their boats and venture up and down the river.

It's a handy thing to have on the helm and, being laminated, water doesn't affect it. The two listings at the bottom are our frequent fuel stops and overnight stops when we cruise.

Radio_Call_Signs.jpg

Great job, but Mike and Tina, when do you use 69?

I remember the days before vhf, the old AM radio had 4 or 5 channels and Marine operator but the range was fantastic. No one used a radio for bridges, just the horn.

Good old days.

I remember the days before vhf, the old AM radio had 4 or 5 channels and Marine operator but the range was fantastic. No one used a radio for bridges, just the horn.

Good old days.

Fog horns on the Great Lakes.....
New people moved into houses on or near Lake St Claire and started complaining about the fog horns. LOL
I liked to hear them....

Last edited:
OldDan. Born and raised in southeast Florida, what are fog horns?

The cartoon character comes to mind, Foghorn Longhorn. :)

HighW. That’s as close as it gets for me!

Back
Top Bottom